Guitarix 0.38.1 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Guitarix 0.38.1 released

Post by tramp »

Guitarix release 0.38.0

Guitarix is a tube amplifier simulation for
jack (Linux), with an additional mono and a stereo effect rack.
Guitarix includes a large list of LV2 and LADSPA plugins, and support
LADSPA / LV2 plugs as well in it's racks.

The guitarix engine is designed for LIVE usage, and feature ultra fast,
glitch and click free preset switching and is full Midi and remote
controllable (the Web UI is not included in the distributed tar ball).

From the changelog:
  • * fix bug #67, don't use malloc.h on FreeBSD
    * remove assert for ports count, to allow save removing of changed LV2 plugins
    * add new option -E --hideonquit, this makes the UI experience smooth when used as LV2 plugin
    * add support for LV2_URID_Map, LV2_URID_Unmap and LV2_OPTIONS to allow more plugs to load
    * fix compiler warnings with gcc 8
    * add exit handler and warning when samplerate is above 96kHz
    * hide splash on error message
    * set online help to sourcforge/discussion
    * fix build against boost-1.69
    * add Russian-language translation by Valeriy Shtobbe and Olesya Gerasimenko, many thanks!
    * update all build scripts to use faust version 2.15.11 and update all generated faust files
Still the LV2 plugins coming with guitarix using a Gtkmm based UI, I'll
work on it to port them to X11 based UI's.

Refer to our project page for more information:
http://guitarix.org

Download Site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guitarix/

enjoy

regards
hermann
Last edited by tramp on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
On the road again.
olegkapitonov
Established Member

Re: Guitarix 0.38.0 released

Post by olegkapitonov »

tramp wrote: add support for LV2_URID_Map, LV2_URID_Unmap and LV2_OPTIONS
Great!
tramp wrote: update all build scripts to use faust version 2.15.11
Very good news!
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

Hallo Hermann,

great news! One Question: Can guitarix (as a whole) now be used as lv2-plugin directly or is it still necessary to put it into a carla-container and then export to lv2?

On my system (with a shipped, older guitarix-version) I cannot automate guitarix when used as a plugin (with the carla-container), so for some instruments (bass, where I do not need so many effects) I use the gx-plugins directly. But I really like the guitarix-ui as a whole, and the ability to save sounds as a whole.

Thanks for your great Software, Viele Grüße,

Andreas
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Guitarix was my first love
and it'll be the laaaast.
Guitarix of the future,
Guitarix of the paaaast … :mrgreen:

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

bluebell wrote:Guitarix was my first love
and it'll be the laaaast.
Guitarix of the future,
Guitarix of the paaaast … :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: thanks bluebell, nice serenade.
Musicteacher wrote:great news! One Question: Can guitarix (as a whole) now be used as lv2-plugin directly or is it still necessary to put it into a carla-container and then export to lv2?
Nope, it's still only stand-alone, or via Carla export. This option will smooth the experience with Carla export a bit, that's all.
olegkapitonov wrote:
tramp wrote: update all build scripts to use faust version 2.15.11
Very good news!
Yea, it was long overdone, but now we are back on track with the faust development. :)
On the road again.
schnitzeltony
Established Member

Post by schnitzeltony »

Hi,

In your announcement there was FreeBSD mentioned so I thought why not musl [1]: With the patch attached they can build guitarix for musl. Sorry for attaching here but I do not plan to subscribe to sourceforge.

[1] https://www.musl-libc.org/
Attachments
0001-Fix-build-for-musl.patch.txt
Patch for musl build fix
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
RockVice77
Established Member

Post by RockVice77 »

Hi Hermann,
after the update I am not able to load in Ardour the "old LV2" gui based on gtkmm

Here below the log from Ardour console:

Code: Select all

suil error: Unable to open UI library /usr/local/lib/lv2/gx_reverb.lv2/gx_reverb_gui.so (/usr/local/lib/lv2/gx_reverb.lv2/gx_reverb_gui.so: undefined symbol: _ZN4Glib17SignalProxyNormal13connect_impl_EbON4sigc9slot_baseEb)
All the lv2 gx-plugins packaged with the version 0.37.3 were fully functional with the GUI in Ardour

I appreciate if you can help me in solving this bug
Aldrog

Post by Aldrog »

Thanks for the release!
Still the LV2 plugins coming with guitarix using a Gtkmm based UI, I'll
work on it to port them to X11 based UI's.
I'm not familiar with LV2 plugin development, but it seems strange to rewrite UI to direct X11 usage when the Linux world is moving to Wayland. What are the advantages of moving away from Gtk?
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Yeess!!! A guitarix new release is the only thing that makes my heart beat fast and slow at the same time, I am love with it.

Thank you so very much for releasing this beauty to us. Please keep it coming and rock on!

Best regards,

Rodney
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

schnitzeltony wrote:In your announcement there was FreeBSD mentioned so I thought why not musl [1]: With the patch attached they can build guitarix for musl. Sorry for attaching here but I do not plan to subscribe to sourceforge.
Thanks, I'll push it to our git repository, looks reasonable.
As a side note note, you didn't need to be a subscriber on sorceforge to report a bug or push a patch, I've set it all to anonymous access.
RockVice77 wrote:Hi Hermann,
after the update I am not able to load in Ardour the "old LV2" gui based on gtkmm
I wonder that you was able to do it before. Which distribution do you use? Do you use ardour from your distribution repository? If so, you may need to update Ardour so that it match your system glibc library.
The guitarix LV2 UI's only work in ardour when they was build against the same library set then ardour itself.
musl, from the link schnitzeltony gives above, looks like a impressive alternative to solve this issue.
If you use the "official" ardour from ardour.org, the guitarix LV2 UI's wouldn't work at all. Hence why I would port them to X11. That is now on the top of my todo list.
Rodney wrote:Yeess!!! A guitarix new release is the only thing that makes my heart beat fast and slow at the same time, I am love with it.
I hope you enjoy it. :)

regards
hermann
On the road again.
occulkot
Established Member

Post by occulkot »

tramp wrote: Still the LV2 plugins coming with guitarix using a Gtkmm based UI, I'll
work on it to port them to X11 based UI's
:!: :!: :D great info
RockVice77
Established Member

Post by RockVice77 »

I wonder that you was able to do it before. Which distribution do you use? Do you use ardour from your distribution repository? If so, you may need to update Ardour so that it match your system glibc library.
So I figured out how I can do (and probably I forgot I already did the same way with 0.37.3...)

I am using ga KDE NEON 18.04 + KXStudio repositories
Ardour is coming from KXStudio and I can use the "old LV2" installing the guitarix package from the same repository
Unfortunately the version of Guitarix packaged by falkTX is still a 0.37.2, but we have the luck to build just the stand alone Guitarix 0.38.0 using the option

Code: Select all

./waf configure --no-lv2
Doing in this way I am able to run the shining new stand alone Guitarix but I can still use the old lv2 plugins with the gtkmm GUI packaged in KXStudio that match perfectly the Ardour environment

The only thing I am wondering is if I am missing more plugins just added with the new 0.38.0 release, but at least all the plugins provided by falkTX with the 0.37.2 release are fully functional
tramp
Established Member

Re: Guitarix 0.38.1 released

Post by tramp »

Hi

I just found a critical Bug in 0.38.0, which leads to u-complete loading of the state (preset) on startup. :evil:
So I pushed a new quick Bug Fix release out, guitarix 0.83.1

Please, if you've updated to 0.38.0 already, consider to update to 0.38.1.
RockVice77 wrote:Doing in this way I am able to run the shining new stand alone Guitarix but I can still use the old lv2 plugins with the gtkmm GUI packaged in KXStudio that match perfectly the Ardour environment

The only thing I am wondering is if I am missing more plugins just added with the new 0.38.0 release, but at least all the plugins provided by falkTX with the 0.37.2 release are fully functional
Ha, nice trick. Didn't know that guitarix in KxStudio is build against the same library set then Ardour, isn't ardour in KxStuidio the "official" one?

However, you don't need to be worry for "missing more plugins", as there are non. You'll be save when using the ones from KxStudio.

That may change when I've finished the port to X11.

regards
hermann
On the road again.
artofmusic
Established Member

Post by artofmusic »

Seems nice so far, I wonder if you'll consider bumping the version to 1.0 once you are happy with an X11 port. Weird people still port to X11 isn't there a way to write plugins for Wayland yet. This might be something to consider going into the future. QT seems like a decent library, look at samplv1, synthv1, drumkv1, they use QT5 and in theory, should work with Wayland. Just some food for thought.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

artofmusic wrote: QT seems like a decent library, look at samplv1, synthv1, drumkv1, they use QT5 and in theory, should work with Wayland. Just some food for thought.
Going with Qt(x) isn't a choice. :cry: It's at least the same beast, when not more evil,(still I believe it's much more evil :twisted: ) then GTK(x)(mm).
Maybe you didn't know about the traditional war between gtk and qt developers? :lol:
When using QT for a LV2 plugin UI, the same issue that we've now with ardour, will appear for Qtractor ( or any QT based host)
Following the latest specs given by X42 plugins needs to be self contained, the only way to do that on the GUI side seems to be X11 (Or you develop your own low level api to communicate directly with the graphic card :lol: ).X11 is the lowest level you could go without that. Even for wayland, I didn't see a issue with X11 based interfaces.
On the road again.