Spicing up existing vocals

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

zoco
Established Member

Spicing up existing vocals

Post by zoco »

I am using the vocals from an old song to make a new one in another style of music.
The vocals are good but they could use some more spice in this new style. Somewere 3 to 10% more dynamics. I know how to use compressor but i am not searching for more gain.
Which type of plugin would you use on the vocals track for that? Can i think about Calf transient designer or Calf exiter?
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Spicing up existing vocals

Post by sysrqer »

Depends what you want from it, your description is pretty vague. You can make vocals more aggressive, or softer, or add more/less transients with a compressor, there shouldn't be any gain added if you use it properly and gain match.

Try parallel processing them with a compressor and an exciter, it will inherently add gain because it is extra signal on top of the original but blend it to sound better rather than louder.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

It needs some more spice and action. I need 5% more celebration. It is just a little too bland. The vocals are not to weak, but could become some less weak. I need 5% more celebration. 5% more power?
Sorry. I do not know how to explain otherwise.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Pipe it through Rakarrack and keep picking different presets until you find what you're looking for, I'm sure there is something in there that will work.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

I think you would benefit from learning the use of compressors. There are a lot of good ones, including free ones. It's a matter of doing what you want with them. You need to learn what you mean by "action", "spice", "power", "celebration". No one else will understand what you mean because those are not objective terms. (A good indicator of that: you say you want more "power" but no more gain.)
Last edited by JamesPeters on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

If you want more dynamics then yes, a transient shaper can do that. You can also use a type of compression called 'expansion'. Some compressors have an expansion mode built into them. Otherwise, you can use a standalone 'expander' plugin.

And just as an interesting side note, it's also possible to increase the dynamics with regular downwards compression. Although, less dynamics is usually what you end up with using this method.

I don't know what your vocal track sounds like so I can't make specific suggestions. However, here are some general effects/ideas that I often use:

* EQ & Compression (of course).
* Saturation/subtle distortion.
* Chorus.
* Reverb.
* Delay.
* Make a few copies of the vocal track and process each one differently, then layer them up together. You can also try keeping one in the centre and panning the others out as much as desired.

Most of all, just experiment and have fun! Try some weird stuff and see what happens.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

Death wrote:* EQ & Compression (of course).
* Saturation/subtle distortion.
* Chorus.
* Reverb.
* Delay.
* Make a few copies of the vocal track and process each one differently, then layer them up together. You can also try keeping one in the centre and panning the others out as much as desired.
Thanks Death. I am familiar with the regular ways to produce vocals. I for sure will try some non regular plugins. Did that before already but not always with the success i still am looking for. Hoped to get some more direction to weird but working options.
JamesPeters wrote:Seriously though I think you would benefit from learning the use of compressors.
I know about compressors and how to work with them. I was hoping for some other option.
From all reactions i understand i have to grab back on the known options, although some reactions gave me new directions. :D

Extending the question.
Is there a way to change a vocal so it is not recognizable anymore but still sounds as real vocals? So i do not mean something like vocoder robotic vocals.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

zoco wrote:I am using the vocals from an old song to make a new one in another style of music.
The vocals are good but they could use some more spice in this new style. Somewere 3 to 10% more dynamics.
Is the vocalist still available? Re-sing those parts that need more punch, and put on those critical part 2 layers of vocals together?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

The vocalist is available. Multi recordings also as i did the first recordings too. But the original which already is layered and slightly compressed is already that good that it is part of the fun to create a remake from it. With new vocals it would loose that charm.
I do not need much. I only need a little. Indeed perhaps some compression will do it.

The other additional question is not for this project but for another one i am planning.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

zoco wrote: I know about compressors and how to work with them. I was hoping for some other option.
From all reactions i understand i have to grab back on the known options, although some reactions gave me new directions. :D

Extending the question.
Is there a way to change a vocal so it is not recognizable anymore but still sounds as real vocals? So i do not mean something like vocoder robotic vocals.
It seems I misunderstood your intial post, that I imagined you were asking about using a compressor (when you weren't). :)

What sort of change do you want? You may not know how to describe it, but can you provide examples? If you post your current vocal recording, and then find a clip (on Youtube etc.) which represents the sound you would prefer, that would help people guide you toward whatever plugin (or recording/editing/etc.) you might like.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

JamesPeters wrote:It seems I misunderstood your intial post, that I imagined you were asking about using a compressor (when you weren't). :)
Does not matter. I appriciate your effort to help.
JamesPeters wrote:What sort of change do you want? You may not know how to describe it, but can you provide examples?
That is for the first and main question i think?

I have vocals which sound good. But i am re-using them for the same song in another style of music which is slightly more party so the vocals could need a handful percent to sound more within that party mood. I am going from happy trance or dance like music to south-american party style.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

Again, I have difficulty imagining what you mean. The words you're using to describe the vocals aren't objective enough.

Providing the original recording, then a clip of another singer (from Youtube etc.) would probably help.

My first thought, based on what you're saying, is "no". I don't think you can reuse the vocals to get what you want. It seems as though you want the vocalist to sing the part differently. But if you provide very specific examples (sound clips are needed), maybe there's something which can be done.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You could go crazy with editing, putting reverses and chops in the leading gaps etc. You could do formant filtering/shifting but that's going toward vocoder territory. Distortion + filter is always good, to go further automate the filter cutoff in an lfo kind of way. Delays are worth trying, experiment with really long or really short delays with lots of feedback. Or just pitch shifting, create a new melody and make it sound very artificial like Burial used to - he was very good at warping a vocal in to something completely different.

There are tools on windows that allow you to change the melody and timing so it sounds natural and real but don't think there is anything quite the same on linux. There is an autotune plugin by x42 which can give some interesting results if you abuse it.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

JamesPeters wrote:It seems as though you want the vocalist to sing the part differently.
No that isn't. They can remain exactly the same. They only could use some 5% more action.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

zoco wrote:
JamesPeters wrote:It seems as though you want the vocalist to sing the part differently.
No that isn't. They can remain exactly the same. They only could use some 5% more action.
Happy April 1, everybody. :)