Open source Gross Beat alternative

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Open source Gross Beat alternative

Post by Basslint »

The Gross Beat plugin for FL Studio is used on a lot of tracks. Is there a LV2 plugin that can act as a drop-in Gross Beat replacement?

I know Paulstretch can do many of the same things but I don't know if it can be considered a replacement. Can you even use it as a LV2 plugin?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
raboof
Established Member

Re: Open source Gross Beat alternative

Post by raboof »

Basslint wrote:The Gross Beat plugin for FL Studio is used on a lot of tracks.
I've never heard of it, so that makes it hard to suggest an alternative without further description :D
Basslint wrote:I know Paulstretch can do many of the same things but I don't know if it can be considered a replacement. Can you even use it as a LV2 plugin?
So it's a timestretcher/pitchshifter? What are the main features you are looking for?
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

raboof wrote:
Basslint wrote:The Gross Beat plugin for FL Studio is used on a lot of tracks.
I've never heard of it, so that makes it hard to suggest an alternative without further description :D
Basslint wrote:I know Paulstretch can do many of the same things but I don't know if it can be considered a replacement. Can you even use it as a LV2 plugin?
So it's a timestretcher/pitchshifter? What are the main features you are looking for?
I don't use FL Studio, I opened this thread only because there are many producers who use it and maybe they'd like to switch to free software.

It's a time and volume shifter which can be automated and ships with many presets that help achieve a particular sounds (such as the typical muffled/gated half-time sections you can hear in trap songs).
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Maybe a combination of the ArtyFX suite from OpenAV software.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

YouTube: Gross Beat Tutorial - Everything You Need To Know - FL Studio 20

in part, though not that i've used it yet; https://github.com/pdesaulniers/wolf-shaper

not sure about the temporal aspect

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

The closest thing I can think of is reaper's automation items.
pdesaulniers
Established Member

Post by pdesaulniers »

I've been wanting a Gross Beat clone for a very good while now. I'm a fan of that plugin.

I *think* I could hack together a Gross Beat alternative real quick. It would use Wolf Shaper's graph, which is based on the ones in FL Studio. I'll keep you informed.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

pdesaulniers wrote:I've been wanting a Gross Beat clone for a very good while now. I'm a fan of that plugin.

I *think* I could hack together a Gross Beat alternative real quick. It would use Wolf Shaper's graph, which is based on the ones in FL Studio. I'll keep you informed.
Please keep us informed!

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

pdesaulniers wrote:I've been wanting a Gross Beat clone for a very good while now. I'm a fan of that plugin.

Yeh that sounds cool! I use Grossbeat sometimes and it's always on my mind as something I'll miss if I use only Linux native software.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Returning to old thread. I don't know if you found solution, but one idea, would BShapr be one?

https://github.com/sjaehn/BShapr

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

sjaehn
Established Member

Post by sjaehn »

Thanks for mentioning. Yes, B.Shapr can do the most things you can do with IL Gross Beat. Or Cableguys Shaperbox. And a lot of things you can't do with Gross Beat (or Shaperbox). And it is still growing...
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

sjaehn wrote:Thanks for mentioning. Yes, B.Shapr can do the most things you can do with IL Gross Beat. Or Cableguys Shaperbox. And a lot of things you can't do with Gross Beat (or Shaperbox). And it is still growing...
Thanks for developing it. I saw it in it's early life, and was "no, I dont have use for such", but now thinking making some industrial / EBM, it suddenly seems pretty interesting!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

sjaehn
Established Member

Post by sjaehn »

tavasti wrote:
sjaehn wrote:Thanks for mentioning. Yes, B.Shapr can do the most things you can do with IL Gross Beat. Or Cableguys Shaperbox. And a lot of things you can't do with Gross Beat (or Shaperbox). And it is still growing...
Thanks for developing it. I saw it in it's early life, and was "no, I dont have use for such", but now thinking making some industrial / EBM, it suddenly seems pretty interesting!
Let me know if you successfully used in one of your music productions. About the plugin. There is still enough space for additional features. Any ideas are welcome!