[OK] WII rock band drum and MusE

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: WII rock band drum and MusE

Post by Tim E. Real »

Please tell me the exact name and model number of your Wii device
so that I can find the user manual.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

As I said earlier:
Therefore choose the output MusE Instrument wisely, you may want to set up a new Instrument
that matches the specifications of the external device being driven. Specifically you may want
to select the Instrument's 'no note-offs' mode in the case of an external drum machine for example.
Please open the Instrument Editor and create a copy of your desired instrument, for example GM or GM2.
For example simply select "GM2" and begin modifying it as desired. In this case simply change the note-off mode.
The editor will then prompt you to save your work as a file. Or you can just click "Save" or "Save as".
Give it a name, for example "My GM2".
Be sure to select "no note offs" mode !!!
Then, on any Drum Tracks, select the new "My GM2" instrument as the instrument the track will use for output.
(That's the orange box in the mixer strip that usually says "GM" by default. You can also select the instrument in the midi configuration dialog.)

The following pictures show what to do.
Please note that this exact feature was not tested yet by me - so I am relying on YOUR help here.
If all goes well, it will just work.
instrument_editor_2.jpeg
instrument_editor_2.jpeg (91.18 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
instrument_editor_4.jpeg
instrument_editor_4.jpeg (72.35 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

Hello Tim,

I don't think the WII pad can be set up. The only thing it was possible on an another model (with only a MIDI IN) was to modify the sensibility of the pad with a piece of software and the console connected. But I'll have a look on the manual or some clues on the web if I find out.

I would be very happy if I could use this pad (I am not a very good drummer but it is more convenient than a keyboard) like with Ardour or Rosegarden. With Qtractor, I can play and record but the recording is not very good. All the events are recorded twice and the playback is not good.

I am fond of MusE, because it is very close to the Cubase audio version I used with a Falcon Atari for long years.

Could it be possible to use the numeric keyboard for the displacements on a track ? Home, end, 1 to left marker, 3 to right marker, 7 bar on the left, 9 bar on the right, etc. It would be useful. Thank you.
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

I just read your message about modification of the GM configuration. I'll do it.

The model of the pad is Band Hero/Guitar Hero N°95521.808
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

Bingo !!!! With the new GM patch (with no note off), it's okay. Great Tim, thank you very much ! :D :D :D :D
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Wow. It actually works? Praise the great Easter Bunny !
I am quite relieved and proud that I took the time to add a couple of lines of code in there
several months ago while I was fixing the midi engine. I thought that I had better add them for such a case.
Hopefully the recording also works without complaining, that's where one of the lines was added.

If your Wii device has special midi patches, controllers or sysex support beyond GM or GM2 support,
consider constructing your own Instrument Definition File just for it, using the Instrument Editor or by hand.
You can see we have many such files for various devices from Korg, Roland, Yamaha etc.

Some technical info:
It may seem tedious to have to set up an instrument just for this. But there has to be a way to tell the program about such a device.
A few years ago I began to add support for INPUT instruments, not just OUTPUT instruments.
The idea was that you would tell MusE exactly what kind of input device is connected, as well as what output device.

But... I abandoned that 'input instrument' approach with the following reasoning:
After much thought, I concluded that it is up to the receiving device to handle events as it sees fit, it is NOT up to the
application to interpret the events as they arrive from an input device.
In other words, it's a one-way system - the receiving side does all the work.
It would have placed a burden on the app and the user to do more micro-management.
It is also became difficult to present this further information to the user for display and editing.
So I carefully reasoned that an OUTPUT instrument should in theory be all that we need -
even though the issue here is actually dealing with input events.
Hope that made sense.

Lemme know if any more trouble.
Thanks.
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

Recording and playback are right well with the drum track.

Just a little thing, it seems it is not possible to assign different instruments (GM, Yamaha, etc) to each midi track. So the no midi off is set up for all the GM-1. Then a track with a keyboard master as input, and an organ as instrument by example,that send note off gives a steady result at recording and at playback if it was already recorded !

I'll give another look at the Editor instrument for this case, tomorrow. Have a good day.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Just a little thing, it seems it is not possible to assign different instruments (GM, Yamaha, etc) to each midi track.
Yes, but each track must be driving a different MusE midi output port.
Since a MusE instrument applies to a MusE midi port, different MusE midi ports can have different MusE instruments.

In the following pictures, "Track 1" and "Track 2" are both driving the same MusE midi port "1:jack-midi-0".
Therefore it is not possible to have different instruments for "Track 1" and "Track 2" because midi port "1:jack-midi-0"
uses instrument "My GM".
However, notice "Track 3" is driving a different port "2:jack-midi-1".
Therefore "Track 3" can have its own instrument "GM" because port "2:jack-midi-1" can have its own instrument.

Also, in the case of using Jack Midi, you can even tell both of those ports "1:jack-midi-0" and "2:jack-midi-1" to drive
the same Jack Midi connection, as shown in the Advanced Router dialog in the picture.
Normally in the Advanced Router, those two yellow lines would by default connect to two different Jack Midi ports
on the right side of the router window.
But you can see I have purposely connected them both to the same Jack Midi output port.

(It is not necessary to use the Advanced Router to do these connections, the Routing popup menus which are found
beneath the mixer strip green arrows and the little 'midi plug' icons in the Midi/Synth Configuration dialog will do the same thing.
You can even do all your Jack Midi routing from those popup menus' sub-popup menus.)

Take a look:
instruments_and_ports_2.jpeg
instruments_and_ports_2.jpeg (130.92 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
instruments_and_ports_4.jpeg
instruments_and_ports_4.jpeg (110.5 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

Good job Tim ! It's perfect.