[RES] Record 2 audio tracks

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

saturnin51
Established Member

[RES] Record 2 audio tracks

Post by saturnin51 »

Hello,

I continue my tests with Muse. I create an audio track1 + audio input1 + audio outpu1t.
I record a guitar, it works.

I create a second audio2 track + audio input2 + audio output2 to record a second guitar. When I arm the recording of the track, I can see the view meter react when I play. I start the recording, nothing is recorded!

The 2 tracks have connections configured in the same way. I spent hours there without understanding what's going on.
Last edited by saturnin51 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spamatica
Established Member

Re: Record 2 audio tracks

Post by spamatica »

saturnin51 wrote:Hello,

I continue my tests with Muse. I create an audio track1 + audio input1 + audio outpu1t.
I record a guitar, it works.

I create a second audio2 track + audio input2 + audio output2 to record a second guitar. When I arm the recording of the track, I can see the view meter react when I play. I start the recording, nothing is recorded!

The 2 tracks have connections configured in the same way. I spent hours there without understanding what's going on.
Not sure what the problem is but I think an explanation of the audio track types might help you further.

Starting with the Audio Track, it contains the audio data, nothing new, this is the way it usually works.
The input and output tracks however are more specific to MusE's design. They are not meant to be copied for each audio track, but are more of an abstraction of the inputs and outputs you use outside MusE.
So, if you want to record your guitar on several tracks, create an Input Track and connect it to the physical soundcard input. This input can then be reused as input for all Audio Tracks.
Basically the same goes for the output. By default MusE creates an Output Track (Out 1) and connects it to the first outputs of your soundcard, if all you do is listening in stereo this is all you need since all Audio Tracks can (and by default will) connect to this output.

So the audio input2 and audio output2 you mention above should not be needed and probably bring confusion (though it is absolutely possible to get such an arrangement working too).

When recording I usually do it like this:
1. create an audio input, connect it to my sound source outside MusE
2. create an audio track, connect it to the audio input (the output will be connected by default to the Out 1)
3. record ...
4. when I want more tracks with the same configuration, click on the audio track and press the Duplicate shortcut Ctrl+Shift+D. A dialog will popup with some alternatives, by default it will create a copy of the track and preserve all input and output settings, which is whats needed. Note also that there is an option to create multiple copies right away.

Hope that helps a bit
MusE DAW
saturnin51
Established Member

Re: Record 2 audio tracks

Post by saturnin51 »

OK I have understand, that ' right. thanks.