[RES] No audio, no MIDI with Muse3

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

saturnin51
Established Member

[RES] No audio, no MIDI with Muse3

Post by saturnin51 »

I everybody,

I try to use Muse3 as my sequencer. My setup : Edirol UA-25, MIDI keyboard, expander CBX-T3 and several guitares and micros. I try it with Librazik and Ubuntu Studio system. On the US, I have an error at the launching.
It seems there is an issue with Jack connection. I have not audio Muse device in the connection graph.
I designed RTPulseaudio as audio output in Muse. I launch a2j -e in Jack setup after jACK launching.
What information do I need to provide to resolve this problem ?

Thank you.

Last edited by saturnin51 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
spamatica
Established Member

Re: No audio, no MIDI with Muse3

Post by spamatica »

Hello again,

The addition of RtAudio in MusE 3.0 was to allow usage of MusE without needing Jack. Infact Jack and RtAudio probably have trouble coexisting.

With your use case I would recommend using Jack all the way, so change MusE to use Jack directly, either in the configuration or with command line option -j.

If jack is started with the usb audio device as it's backend, and you have tested that jack actually gives sound with some test application, MusE should also start to work. If it still does not give any sound, explain how you set it up and we take it from there.
MusE DAW
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

In fact, I must add audio entry and out then link the audio track with the entry. That's OK for the audio.

I am looking for MIDI now. My system currently is Librazik.

I have an another Ubuntu Studio. With this last Muse3.0.2 crashes and I installed an another version 3.1.0pre. With this version I can play audio and MIDI, but crashes after recording about 30 secondes! The difference with Librazik is Jack appearance: There are 3 tabs into the graph connexion (Audio, Midi, Alsa).

Jack graph off Librazik has no tabs. Audio, Midi and Alsa are in the same windows. And I don't retrieve the same thing than with Jack Ubuntu Studio. It misses the entrances and exits MIDI of Muse. So I can't link right the MIDI tracks.
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

I resolved also the MIDI issue. I can record for the first time MIDI and audio. Great !
Routing with Muse is not very easy at the first steps on the software.

I am very happy because Muse has the same design as Cubase Audio Falcon I used for long years on my Atari Falcon.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

saturnin51 wrote: I installed an another version 3.1.0pre. With this version I can play audio and MIDI, but crashes after recording about 30 secondes! The difference with Librazik is Jack appearance: There are 3 tabs into the graph connexion (Audio, Midi, Alsa).

Jack graph off Librazik has no tabs. Audio, Midi and Alsa are in the same windows. And I don't retrieve the same thing than with Jack Ubuntu Studio. It misses the entrances and exits MIDI of Muse. So I can't link right the MIDI tracks.
Oh, thats not fun. Can you give a step by step description of what you do when it crashes?
MusE DAW
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

saturnin51 wrote: Routing with Muse is not very easy at the first steps on the software.
Can describe which routing you find hard? Setting up the midi devices maybe?
We aim to make as simple as possible but still having few limitations.
MusE DAW
saturnin51
Established Member

Re: [RES] No audio, no MIDI with Muse3

Post by saturnin51 »

As a newbe user and as usual I have not read the documentation. I would gain much time ! Every steps are right described.
I try the 3.1 version on Ubuntu Studio as soon as possible and I'll report you all the information I can give.

Wih Librazik, I use the 3.0.2 version. I'll try with the 3.1 also.

Thank you to the development team for this fantastic software and also for Musescore I use for several years. I have worked for ages with an Atari Falcon and Cubase Audio. I retrieve much of this software with Muse.
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

I installed Muse 3.1 Opre1 on Ubuntu Studio and It works fine.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

saturnin51 wrote:I installed Muse 3.1 Opre1 on Ubuntu Studio and It works fine.
Alright, great!
I should have sent a link to the tutorials before, better late than never.
http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/Tutorials

I recommend watching tutorial 1 and 2 for MusE 2.2 atleast, they show the basic workflow of how muse works. We should make some new ones to show of how it looks now, though most of these tutorials are still usable for current MusE.
MusE DAW
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

The video about Muse3 is not avalaible.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Ah, yes, I see it's vanished. I removed it from the page, please consult the 2.2 videos.
MusE DAW