Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby jonetsu » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:28 pm

CrocoDuck wrote:We can see what teams as small as that of Moddart can achieve with full time work.


Or Bitwig. Small team having their full-featured product running on 3 platforms. Or OvertoneDSP for that matter. Or Loomer, u-he, DiscoDSP, Tracktion, MOK, Harrison (Mixbus32c specific features). No big teams there. Difference is that they are offering commercial products in a competitive environment. Not easy to compare that drive with doing LV2-only plugins in the spare time.

zoco
Established Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby zoco » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:33 am

jonetsu wrote:It's more than obvious that artists' concerns are not about which OS the studio runs, let alone which plugins they use and which DAW they work with. An artist concern is totally different from that.


That was one of my statements in one of my first reactions.
So who eventually decides with what that big artists will be recorded and mastered? The big compagnies.

jonetsu wrote:Nobody is saying that Linux is popular in pro studios. This is more than obvious.


That was part off the question, was it not? Big artists record in big studios on their software.
Somebody said it. I did. Answering the question as it was asked. This was one of the first thing i said too. And i tried to explain why. Forced by the deciding big companies.

jonetsu wrote:Not sure what you're trying to prove.

I am not trying to prove anything. I am just answering the question.

jonetsu wrote:This said and put aside, not sure how you would tell there's "linux on the screen".

Most linux DAW software is easy to recognize when in a documentary a professional recording studio recording a known artist comes by. And i saw no other DAWs then like pro tools, ableton, cubase passing by. And they do not work with calf plugins so those are not used either. Simple.

But big artists once were small. And small artists many times have to work on budget. FOSS is budget. So with the linux which is FOSS usage statistics in mind it can't be otherwise then that there must be big artists who recorded some of their first songs on FOSS software when they still were small.

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby jonetsu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:56 pm

zoco wrote:But big artists once were small. And small artists many times have to work on budget. FOSS is budget. So with the linux which is FOSS usage statistics in mind it can't be otherwise then that there must be big artists who recorded some of their first songs on FOSS software when they still were small.


Could be. Or like someone said here elsewhere, everyone is pirating. Even pro musicians he knows are using pirated software.

zoco
Established Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby zoco » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:28 pm

jonetsu wrote:
zoco wrote:But big artists once were small. And small artists many times have to work on budget. FOSS is budget. So with the linux which is FOSS usage statistics in mind it can't be otherwise then that there must be big artists who recorded some of their first songs on FOSS software when they still were small.


Could be. Or like someone said here elsewhere, everyone is pirating. Even pro musicians he knows are using pirated software.

That was me too who said that. On the first page already. What was the discussion about? Haha.

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby jonetsu » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:20 pm

zoco wrote:
jonetsu wrote: Could be. Or like someone said here elsewhere, everyone is pirating. Even pro musicians he knows are using pirated software.

That was me too who said that. On the first page already. What was the discussion about? Haha.


I don't know. I explicitly mentioned elsewhere, eg. not in this thread. I was referring to the Russian guy (I think it was 'Alex the bassist', not sure but easy to find as it was relatively recent) who mentioned that, and to whom I replied, and it was not your pseudo at all. I would be hard-pressed to consider you are Russian :)

zoco
Established Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby zoco » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:45 pm

jonetsu wrote:
zoco wrote:
jonetsu wrote: Could be. Or like someone said here elsewhere, everyone is pirating. Even pro musicians he knows are using pirated software.

That was me too who said that. On the first page already. What was the discussion about? Haha.


I don't know. I explicitly mentioned elsewhere, eg. not in this thread.

You actually said [uhere elsewhere[/u]. Which can be read as here in this topic elsewhere which i did.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19538#p102046

But eventually you seem to agree with what i said so still, whats this discussion about?

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby jonetsu » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:19 pm

zoco wrote:
jonetsu wrote:
zoco wrote:That was me too who said that. On the first page already. What was the discussion about? Haha.


I don't know. I explicitly mentioned elsewhere, eg. not in this thread.

You actually said [uhere elsewhere[/u]. Which can be read as here in this topic elsewhere which i did.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19538#p102046

But eventually you seem to agree with what i said so still, whats this discussion about?


Yes, it can be misleading. 'Here' is Linux Musicians and 'elsewhere' is somewhere else than this thread, which is what the usage of both terms confers. But then it's possible that one cannot bridge the terms and stops at 'here' then goes on with 'elsewhere' without bridging them to form a composite expression.

'Here AND elsewhere' specifically transmits the expression of two distinct locations.

So, so far no "big artists" were reported to use FOSS isn't it, let alone "big name artists".

zoco
Established Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby zoco » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:09 pm

jonetsu wrote:So, so far no "big artists" were reported to use FOSS isn't it, let alone "big name artists".

As we will never know, as they will never tell. But there must be. Can't be otherwise.
Just like none of them tells he or she recorded with protools, ableton or cubase. Anyone knows with which DAW Arianne Grande's songs are recorded? Would she know herself?

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby jonetsu » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:53 pm

zoco wrote:
jonetsu wrote:So, so far no "big artists" were reported to use FOSS isn't it, let alone "big name artists".

As we will never know, as they will never tell. But there must be. Can't be otherwise.
Just like none of them tells he or she recorded with protools, ableton or cubase. Anyone knows with which DAW Arianne Grande's songs are recorded? Would she know herself?

If we stick to 'big artists' then at least we can get the first step of the research done by putting them on a scale and weighing them.

:)

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby Basslint » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:02 pm

What about setting up a crowdfunding to reward the first big artist that makes an album fully with FOSS software? It's like spending money on marketing.

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby tavasti » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Basslint wrote:What about setting up a crowdfunding to reward the first big artist that makes an album fully with FOSS software? It's like spending money on marketing.

Maybe one track might be more realistic.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby jonetsu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:43 pm

The thing is, the "big artist" works with "big producers" and those will require a LOT of money to step out of their usual working tools and learn something new, even though the concepts regarding audio are the same. And to ask them using only FOSS plugins ? And put their names on the production when their name is part of their income ?

It has to be a brave one.

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby Basslint » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:10 pm

jonetsu wrote:It has to be a brave one.


Alec Empire!

Not only is he a very hardcore dude, he also has worked with different machines including a Nintendo Game Boy in the past.

And maybe he'd like to switch from Atari and Linux would suit him well :lol:

User avatar
sysrqer
Established Member
Posts: 1798
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby sysrqer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Basslint wrote:
jonetsu wrote:It has to be a brave one.


Alec Empire!


Nice 8)

Is the MOD the only hardware to use linux? I would have thought it has been used in some samplers and synths?

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Are there any big artists that use FOSS software?

Postby Basslint » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:34 pm

sysrqer wrote:
Basslint wrote:
jonetsu wrote:It has to be a brave one.


Alec Empire!


Nice 8)

Is the MOD the only hardware to use linux? I would have thought it has been used in some samplers and synths?


Probably not, but embedded Linux is a separate thing from GNU/Linux. If a musician uses hardware that runs Linux, that doesn't help promote Linux much - Linux already runs on most smartphones and servers, in a way it "already won" as a kernel.


Return to “General Music Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest