MAudio M-Track Eight

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

MAudio M-Track Eight

Post by folderol »

I bought one of these last August, and it failed catastrophically within a week, but I got a no-quibble replacement, tested all functions and it was fine. I used it a couple of times for recording guitar and mic into the computer, but since then only used it for playback from the computer.

Today I tried to use it for recording again and it's silent. Direct out is fine, and so is playback from the computer. The inputs show correctly in qjackctl and it appears to connect them correctly, but no data is coming through.

The only change in that time was the distro on the computer being changed from debian to devuan. However, I also tried it on my laptop (which is still on debian) and got the same results there.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem, or got any suggestions as to what may be wrong.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
bluebell
Established Member

Re: MAudio M-Track Eight

Post by bluebell »

folderol wrote:I bought one of these last August, and it failed catastrophically within a week, but I got a no-quibble replacement, tested all functions and it was fine. I used it a couple of times for recording guitar and mic into the computer, but since then only used it for playback from the computer.

Today I tried to use it for recording again and it's silent. Direct out is fine, and so is playback from the computer. The inputs show correctly in qjackctl and it appears to connect them correctly, but no data is coming through.

The only change in that time was the distro on the computer being changed from debian to devuan. However, I also tried it on my laptop (which is still on debian) and got the same results there.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem, or got any suggestions as to what may be wrong.
I had strange effects with USB-devices when laptop-mode-tools deactivated USB-ports that were idle for some seconds. For example I had to click my mouse's button to be able to move the mouse pointer again.

See if laptop-mode-tools is installed and either configure it not to deactivate USB-Ports or uninstall it.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

The main computer (the devian one) is a full size desktop, and as far as i know there is no laptop mode.
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

did you check if the inputs are muted in alsamixer?

in my delta 1010-lt , inputs are muted by default, I have to unmute them (with the envycontrol in this case, I think class-compliant devices should work with alsamixer)
folderol
Established Member

Re: MAudio M-Track Eight - SOLVED

Post by folderol »

Oh good catch! :D :oops:
Not muted, but set to zero! I feel a bit of a fool for forgetting about that, although it's a bit strange that the output levels were correct.