SMDrums v3 + Round Robins

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

artofmusic
Established Member

SMDrums v3 + Round Robins

Post by artofmusic »

I have recently separated out some of the SMDrums linuxsampler sfz script found here on the forums and have created some individual instruments from it. Also, I have created a variant of these kits with all the round robins. v2 is the version without round robins and v3 is the version with round robins. All you have to do is extract the root of the zip file in the Samples directory of SMDrums and you're done. Have fun.
linuxsampler_smdrums_v3.zip
SMDrums Linuxsampler script with individual kit pieces and round robins.
(91.25 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
finotti
Established Member

Re: SMDrums v3 + Round Robins

Post by finotti »

I'm sorry if I am being obtuse here, but is SM Drums this: https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/

If so, I am not sure what you mean by:
All you have to do is extract the root of the zip file in the Samples directory of SMDrums and you're done.
It doesn't seem to be a software. How do we use it? (Again, sorry if I am asking the obvious...)
artofmusic
Established Member

Post by artofmusic »

You must download the samples first as I can not distribute those https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DHs_jQ ... sp=sharing Then extract this using your favourite archiver program (i.e. file-roller).
Then you just extract the zip file with a file archiver like file-roller or unzip them. to do this from the terminal use the command 'unzip linuxsampler_smdrums_v3.zip' without quotes. When you're done that move the directory to the Samples folder inside the SMDrums directory. When you're done you should have three folders under the Samples directory.

1) inuxsampler_smdrums
2) SMD Cymbals Stereo (Samples)
3) SMDrum Stereo (Samples)
You're done, now you can use the scripts in the linuxsampler_smdrums directory. The v2 variant has no round robins and the v3 variant has all the round robins programmed in the .sfz format. Hope this helps and have fun.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Ah, I see. Thanks for the instructions! I'd be nice if one could make a DrumGizmo kit out of it. But I will give it a try soon.

Thanks again for sharing this!
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

This is good stuff. Thx.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

windowsrefund
Established Member

Post by windowsrefund »

This looks awesome and I'd love to start looking at the sfz option. From what I see, these are meant to be used with sforzando which only runs on non-free windoze & OSX. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Sforzando that runs on GNU/Linux? Maybe http://www.noedig.co.za/konfyt/ ?
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

There are a few native Linux SFZ players. Carla can load SFZ and other soundfonts directly. LinuxSampler is a big old player. There's also SFZero, but good luck compiling that.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Thank your very much for sharing this script! I heard some examples and I am really impressed. This gotta be the closest to the real deal free drumkit I've ever heard.

Definitely checking it out, thanks again

Rodney
unaHm
Established Member

Post by unaHm »

artofmusic wrote:I have recently separated out some of the SMDrums linuxsampler sfz script found here on the forums and have created some individual instruments from it...v3 is the version with round robins.
Thanks very much for your work on this mapping! I loaded it into Carla, and it works well :)

I attempted to play it with my E-Drum kit, and it looks like I'll need to fiddle with the Hi-Hat mappings to get the right kind of performance.

I have a Yamaha DTX set, and the Hi-Hat controller produces CC values for how open or closed the Hi-Hat cymbals are. It also recognises a 'foot splash' when the pedal is closed and immediately released (as you would expect on a normal Drum kit).

How would you best approach consolidating the Hi-Hats onto a single note, and then use the CC values to decide how tight, loose or open the sound is?

This Drum kit, with all of its round robins is a very good competitor to some of the kits in Logic Pro, so I'm eager to finesse this for Drummers too ;)

I haven't noticed a DrumGizmo mapping for this kit...is there one around? If the work has already been done, either as SFZ or as DrumGizmo then please let me know!