Upcoming Bitwig Studio 3 : The Grid

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Upcoming Bitwig Studio 3 : The Grid

Post by jonetsu »

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Upcoming Bitwig Studio 3 : The Grid

Post by sysrqer »

That looks very impressive. Still not sure it justifies the inevitable price for me though.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

sysrqer wrote:That looks very impressive. Still not sure it justifies the inevitable price for me though.
I struggled some days if I should buy it or not and finally decided to stay with Renoise. Especially, because a new update is planned now and because of the non piano roll approach, which forces me to do things in different ways.

Another problem is that I get confused with all the short-cuts when using more than 2 or 3 DAWs.

Renoise is also much more light-weight and faster and the xml files are transparent.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Renoise is very different than a typical DAW and Bitwig has quite a few features not found in traditional DAWs. Going from Renoise to Bitwig and vice-versa is quite a change in the compositional approach. As such, it's like apples and oranges I find. I like the tracker approach, but in a limited view only, eg. Redux in Bitwig. As a full compositional tool I find it too restrictive in it's scrollable layout. Others will prefer it, but it's definitively a different approach.

The upcoming update should have no decisional role. Buying Bitwig entitles to one full year of updates no matter what.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

jonetsu wrote:Buying Bitwig entitles to one full year of updates no matter what.
Indeed but Bitwig moves fast. A lot of money for a year is not appealing to me. It's ironic though, I came to linux after originally using reason from v1, cubase, then ableton for many years so bitwig should be right up my street but I find it awkward to use. Perhaps I just need to learn it but it didn't gel with me. It does seem worth learning and I'm sure it's amazing but, as lilith said, once you go non piano roll it's hard to do it any other way. I'm trying to force myself to make music in reaper but I always go back to renoise for creation.

It's just what you find best. If I were touring and making a living from music I would definitely invest in bitwig because it looks like it is becoming a beast, but as a hobbyist who plays live extremely rarely and finds creativity in the tracker approach I don't think I can justify the cost.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I can work with the piano roll or the tracker. That's not the main problem. Also the price is justified I would say. I played with Bitwig several days, but it didn't flash me like renoise or reaper did (especially using renoise is a lot of fun). Maybe this will happen when I'm more used to the program, idk ...

What I really find great about renoise is that tracks and instruments are independent.Also great is the spectrum and phase view at the top. Something I really miss in other DAWs.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I've been 'subscribing' to Bitwig updates for two years now and I will not renew at the present moment. There are some problems running it since about 3 weeks when using Windows VST. Bitwig support said that they do not recommend using Windows VST in Linux. Thing is, it was working well before that. No wine-staging update, no linvst update in the meanwhile. Only Bitwig updates. And it's not possible to go back to a previous version as the projects are not readable. So I have to eventually figure this out. There's also a problem which consists in Bitwig grinding the disc at a high rate for up to 4 minutes, slowing down the computer and preventing the loading of any project using Windows VST. In those times I have to wait 4 minutes, keeping my ears open for the grinding or looking at iotop. That will have to be figured out. Support puts this on using WIndows VST although I sent them a screen shot with Bitwig having only but a template and iotop showing the disk activity. Still waiting for some news from them.

These two concerns put aside, I still find that Bitwig is a great compositional tool. And the Grid will expand on that. After all, one does not have to 'subscribe' for updates. You can fork out cash only when you deem it's worthed. At $399 for Bitwig 3 with the Grid, the 3 synths and the sampler, the modulation subsystem and everything else, it's not that bad. Some high-end synths are at almost $200 and they're no DAW.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

lilith wrote:What I really find great about renoise is that tracks and instruments are independent.Also great is the spectrum and phase view at the top. Something I really miss in other DAWs.
I have good memories of Renoise. For me, it's the emacs of audio creation. And that says a lot ! :D
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

jonetsu wrote:
lilith wrote:What I really find great about renoise is that tracks and instruments are independent.Also great is the spectrum and phase view at the top. Something I really miss in other DAWs.
I have good memories of Renoise. For me, it's the emacs of audio creation. And that says a lot ! :D
Do you have some tracks produced with renoise?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I have several sketches, but only one was developed fully and posted to soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/c2015-19a

It still feels pretty square to me and I almost see the hexadecimal numbers scrolling.