A video promoting the use of open-source software for music production

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Re: A video promoting the use of open-source software for music production

Post by jonetsu »

folderol wrote: I understand that a full manual is in the process of being written.
This is old news.
folderol wrote: However the basic structure still has enough similarities for the very detailed Yoshimi manual to explain most features. It is available either within the Yoshimi package or from here.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that one neither. At currently 282 pages, it certainly has contents. I find that Zynaddsubfx has aligned a lot of what seems to be excellent synth features. I'll take a look at this manual.

Cheers.
unfa
Established Member

Post by unfa »

I've been working a bit on the manual for Zyn-Fusion, though I haven't been active there fro a good while now:
https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/user-manual
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

All right guys. Why oh why are there 3 different on-going versions of a Zynaddsunfx manual ??

Wouldn't it be possible at all to talk between each other, agree on a format, make concessions if needed, and work on a single manual ?
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

d.healey wrote:With free software you own your copy, you are free to resell it, change it, share it, etc.
No you don't. You are bound by a license the same way as with proprietary software.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

unfa wrote:What is not still possible is decent wavetable synthesis - but there's a new open-source synth coming out in a few months that'll satisfy this need.
Good stuff! What is the name of the project?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Hello Unfa, I've listened to some of your tracks on soundcloud. Without getting in the way of musical tastes, I'd say that your production is pretty darn good. For that style. Some reminds me of SeamlessR's tracks although I grok it is a broader musical genre. "For the kicks" is pretty good, as well as the latest "Bodacious". I wouldn't say I'd be listening to this genre of music all the time, but it's good. Lots of work in there. It has a good spirit. At least for the few I listened to.

Worthwhile of looking back to Zynaddsubfx, which I have a bit forgotten since a year or so. I only did one track with Zyn as the only synths (drums extra). My style so far is much more conservative I'd say and I do not know enough about current musical genres to be following one or another, nor do I have any sort of urge to do so.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/zynjam
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Lyberta wrote:No you don't. You are bound by a license the same way as with proprietary software.
You are definitely not bound in the same way as with proprietary software, that is why one is called proprietary and one is called free. But depending on the way the software is released it is true that you may still be bound by some terms.

If it's public domain or a WTFPL license then there are no terms and the binary and source code is 100% free.

If it's a permissive license like MIT then the only condition is you must include the copyright notice in the source code, however this doesn't affect the binary and as the binary is all most users are interested in they are not restricted by this term.

If it's a license such as the GNU GPL then there are two additional conditions: first you cannot restrict other users and second you must provide the source code with the binary.

So as you can see with free software you always own your binary in almost the same way you own a CD or a DVD or a book. I say almost the same way because actually with free software you get an additional freedom that you don't get with the CD/DVD/Book which is you are allowed to share and sell copies of free software.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

folderol wrote:
jonetsu wrote:Start using Zynaddsubfx ? It's more like start exploring Zynaddsubfx because of almost total lack of documentation, and eventually you'll get into the mind of its creator and understand enough to be totally creative with it. As in: "year after year". No RTFM there. Unfa did make a few videos on Zynaddsubfx though.
Cheers.
I understand that a full manual is in the process of being written. However the basic structure still has enough similarities for the very detailed Yoshimi manual to explain most features. It is available either within the Yoshimi package or from here.
It reminded me that Zynaddsubfx is not currently installed on this LM18 KDE system. One thing I do remember is that it is not a straightforward install inasmuch the requirement to put it in a distinct path is concerned. All other plugins do not mind, but Zynaddsubfx has special needs and cares and perhaps hard-coded paths. So I have to either find my notes about it or I think I left a feedback on KVR on how to do it after asking a question about installation.

UPDATE: I stand corrected. I copied the .so file and the banks folder into my very specific plugin folder and it worked all right from the start.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

CrocoDuck wrote:
unfa wrote:What is not still possible is decent wavetable synthesis - but there's a new open-source synth coming out in a few months that'll satisfy this need.
Good stuff! What is the name of the project?
probably Surge
https://github.com/kurasu/Surge
fundamental
Established Member

Post by fundamental »

jonetsu wrote:All right guys. Why oh why are there 3 different on-going versions of a Zynaddsunfx manual ??
? There's only one ongoing version of a user manual for zynaddsubfx. There's plenty of non-ongoing locations for documentation for zyn, however most of them focus on the 'what does X do?' questions rather than the 'Why is X a thing?' or 'How can I do X?' questions.
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
windowsrefund
Established Member

Post by windowsrefund »

Please stop using the term "Open Source". The legit term is "Free Software". By using the watered down lingo created for the sole purpose of tricking decision makers into using Free Software, the public is taught to value only pragmatic side-effects which are sometimes achieved as a result of the freedom they are never made aware of. This is a huge discussion with plenty of history behind it. It's not my intention to start some flamewar here; only to throw this out to those who do understand the issue but got caught up in the buzz term by mistake. Rather than go through how important the distinction is here, I'll simply provide a link to the best breakdown I've ever read. I encourge everyone to take a moment and consider the distinction. Afterall, if you do not learn to value freedom, you'll never defend it.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-sou ... nt.en.html
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

fundamental wrote:
jonetsu wrote:All right guys. Why oh why are there 3 different on-going versions of a Zynaddsunfx manual ??
? There's only one ongoing version of a user manual for zynaddsubfx. There's plenty of non-ongoing locations for documentation for zyn, however most of them focus on the 'what does X do?' questions rather than the 'Why is X a thing?' or 'How can I do X?' questions.
OK. So the one posted here by Will is THE one then, isn't it ?

Cheers.
fundamental
Established Member

Post by fundamental »

jonetsu wrote:OK. So the one posted here by Will is THE one then, isn't it ?
Goodness no. Documentation on ZynAddSubFX forks does not constitute ongoing effort for a ZynAddSubFX manual. That document does not cover zyn modernization efforts which have occurred over the years, huge swaths of it are duplicating information found in tooltips with little additions, large portions of it are lightly paraphrased versions form pre-existing zyn documents, etc. I'm not going to say that it's not a good effort for the particular fork (as it does seem to address some of the forks features in detail), but it's not targeting ZynAddSubFX. The individuals who currently contribute to that fork do not seem to be interested in advancing Zyn in any way.
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

windowsrefund wrote:Please stop using the term "Open Source". The legit term is "Free Software". By using the watered down lingo created for the sole purpose of tricking decision makers into using Free Software, the public is taught to value only pragmatic side-effects which are sometimes achieved as a result of the freedom they are never made aware of. This is a huge discussion with plenty of history behind it. It's not my intention to start some flamewar here; only to throw this out to those who do understand the issue but got caught up in the buzz term by mistake. Rather than go through how important the distinction is here, I'll simply provide a link to the best breakdown I've ever read. I encourge everyone to take a moment and consider the distinction. Afterall, if you do not learn to value freedom, you'll never defend it.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-sou ... nt.en.html
Totally agree but this forum is even named "Linux"musicians. Not GNU/Linux musicians, not Libre musicians. So I kinda stopped being pedantic (and also generally following) on this forum.

At least LinuxSampler is no longer part of Carla.
Babarosa
Established Member

Post by Babarosa »

Totally agree but this forum is even named "Linux"musicians. Not GNU/Linux musicians, not Libre musicians. So I kinda stopped being pedantic (and also generally following) on this forum.
Very well said!

Debian 12 - MOTU M4, ESI Maya22 USB - Rosegarden, Reaper