The Infinite Repeat - Money or Love (DJ AutoStatic Remix)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

autostatic
Established Member

The Infinite Repeat - Money or Love (DJ AutoStatic Remix)

Post by autostatic »

Dear all,

This is actually the very first track I made with Linux. Recently I listened to it again and felt this track deserved some more attention so I decided to remix it. Originally this track was made with LMMS and I recorded the vocals with Qtractor. I kept the vocals and parts of the drumsamples and I also stuck with the bass line for the verse and some of the effects.

So I loaded all the samples into Hydrogen, recorded all MIDI patterns with seq24 and inserted the plug-ins I wanted to reuse into Qtractor.

Well, that was my intention actually. I ended up rerecording guitar parts and added quite some extra samples. Also the number of synths steadily grew during the process, same for the amount of plug-ins I used.

This is what I came up with, just freshly ran through LinuxDSP's MBC2 (it's an electro-ish track so I compressed the hell out of it):
The Infinite Repeat - Money or Love (DJ AutoStatic Remix) CC BY-NC-SA 3.0

Stuffs used:
* Yoshimi Analogue Bass running through a C* Pre-amp and the Crossover Distortion plug-in
* Yoshimi Dubstep (custom patch), I did the cut-off live with an Akai MPK Mini
* amSynth Synth Strings 1 patch
* SO-666 Feedback Drone LV2 plug-in (LOVE THIS ONE!!! Thanks for this plug-in Jeremy Salwen!!)
* WhySynth DragonPurr
* MDA Vocoder + Yoshimi Hard Synth
* All guitars (Fender Tele and OLP Music Man) done with Guitarix and the Redwirez IR Library (http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp?ref=home)
* Lots and lots of Calf Compressors and I think every track (about 20) has a different reverb plug-in (TAP, FreeVerb). I also used quite some Calf Vintage Delays for the guitars and the SO-666. And 2 or 3 Calf Phasers. Oh yeah, and the SC3 plug-in to duck the SO-666.
* Most drum samples are from the LMMS sample set, I decided to re-use those. The crashes are from the GSCW2 Hydrogen kit.
* Last but not least, I added a little Glockenspiel in the bridge. First I wanted to use the Glockenspiel of the SSO library but that specific set of samples is not so great so I drove to our rehearsal room to pick up our drummer's little Glockenspiel, mic-ed it with the first mic I could find (an AT2020) and got it on hdd within a few minutes.

Basically I used Qtractor as a mixer, Hydrogen to host the samples and seq24 for the MIDI patterns and automation of Qtractor. Works like a charm. Hope you like it. Feedback is always appreciated!

Best,

Jeremy
maghoxfr
Established Member

Re: The Infinite Repeat - Money or Love (DJ AutoStatic Remix)

Post by maghoxfr »

It sounds really good. I love all the synths you put in there, the layering is really cool. You were right, it's a nice song that deserved to be remixed.
Thanks for sharing your workflow, I really appretiate it, because I'm still looking for one that suits me!
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Thanks maghoxfr! One of these day I'll try to make a screencast and put it up on YouTube.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

And there's the screencast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peMR6Agc7Es

Best,

Jeremy
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

You can't imagine how much it helps this video, it opens possibilities I didn't consider. I can see, also, the amount of work you put into that, I mean the conection window in jack was insane! but I guess that's why it sounds so good ;)
Keep it up mate, your work is very much apretiated over here!
Thanks
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

AutoStatic wrote:And there's the screencast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peMR6Agc7Es

Best,

Jeremy

thanks man, and nice production....you are professional allready, one day i'll be there, too
steevc
Established Member

Post by steevc »

The video is a great demonstration of what Linux is capable of. I need to play with more of these apps.

Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Debut Album - https://steevcmusic.bandcamp.com/
Blog - https://peakd.com/@steevc/posts
Recording via M-Audio FastTrack Pro and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and Zoom G3X plus Roland TD-07 drums

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Capoeira wrote:thanks man, and nice production....you are professional allready, one day i'll be there, too
Hello Capoeira, thanks! Professional, I don't know, I still have so much to learn. But I'm doing my very best. I just read Jezar Wakefield's (one of the original LADSAP authors) "How to Mix a Pop Song from Scratch" and it's one step further down the road. And I'm about to order some books on recording, mixing and mastering to improve my knowledge in those fields.

Best,

Jeremy
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

steevc wrote:The video is a great demonstration of what Linux is capable of.
Thanks steevc!
steevc wrote:I need to play with more of these apps.
It is simply such great stuff. Sometimes I can just sit down for hours playing with sounds, creating new ones. Especially amSynth is a really nice synth to start with, not too many parameters to tweak, just two oscillators but powerful nonetheless.

Best,

Jeremy
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

AutoStatic wrote:Especially amSynth is a really nice synth to start with, not too many parameters to tweak, just two oscillators but powerful nonetheless.
AmSynth is great, don't know why it seams kind of unpopular.....it's not mentioned very often
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

Yeah, amsynth is great, I love yoshimi and phasex but find them hard to use, so I kind of stick to the presets and tweak them a bit. Amsynth has a great GUI, and is very straightforward. I'm going to look for that article Autostatic, it must be really good.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

maghoxfr: http://rapidshare.com/#!download|478tl| ... .0.rar|404
There are a lot of articles around with the same title and from the same author but all of those are not complete. The PDF in the above link does contain the complete article.

Best,

Jeremy
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

AutoStatic wrote:maghoxfr: http://rapidshare.com/#!download|478tl| ... .0.rar|404
There are a lot of articles around with the same title and from the same author but all of those are not complete. The PDF in the above link does contain the complete article.

Best,

Jeremy
Thank you, I was just reading one of those incomplete articles! You saved me on the nick of time!