Unaware of a Direction (was Live sequencing with Hydrogen)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

autostatic
Established Member

Re: Unaware of a Direction (was Live sequencing with Hydrogen)

Post by autostatic »

maghoxfr wrote:Really cool song man, very catchy too. I like that bassline and the voice suits the mood perfectly. Maybe some polishing on the edges but it sounds very good. Thanks for sharing the workflow Jeremy!
Thank you Matías! Yeah, it needs some more care on the mixing. This is one of the first tracks I mixed with my new studio monitors, I still need to get the hang of it.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

For the moment I consider this track finished. Well, finished as in that it sounds much like I want it to. When Qtractor 0.4.7 came out I decided I had to let myself go concerning effects, especially now they can be MIDI controlled which is just great. I set up a special FX automation MIDI track and off I went.
The female vocals were done by my girlfriend. Just a few takes and she was greatly unsatisfied but with some effects and some cutting up it turned out quite ok.
Huge shout out to Will J Godfrey (aka Folderol) for his amazing instrument bank, I used Warm Synth, Sharp Synth, Pizzicato Strings and the great Wind and Surf for the swooossssshhh. Also big props for Cal for the ever improving Yoshimi. And Rui of course. Qtractor just rocks. Lastly, the FFADO folks. I'm now looking at my shiny and new Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 that has been running happily for hours now at 4ms with about 20+ tracks and about the same amount of effects. Yeah, I encountered some occasional xruns, but basically that only happens when I open stuff like LV2 gui's or change hefty instrument patches with Yoshimi.
I'll see if I can do a screencast of this track. Nothing is cooler than seeing those slick Calf plugins do their stuff automatically :)

The Infinite Repeat - Unaware of a Direction (Mixdown 2010-12-04)

And yes, I've learned so much in the making of this track. I've never worked with compressors, gates, filters and eq's before and this track was like a playground in which I could all test it out.

Best,

Jeremy
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Keep up the good work!
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Thanks Pablo!
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

Nice work. It sounds really good.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you set up an FX automation track in Qtractor?
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hello SR, thanks! I've used the new MIDI learn/mapping functionality of 0.4.7. I've mapped some plugin parameters to MIDI CC's and edited the values for those mappings in Qtractor's piano roll. I've assigned a separate bus to the MIDI FX Automation track and connected the output of this bus to Qtractor's MIDI Control bus input (View - Options - MIDI - Dedicated MIDI control input/output).
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

Hello Auto,
Congrats, this is huge ! 8)

I already liked the previous versions but this one is even better, you managed to solve all the little things that didn't fit so well to transform it into a hit ! :D

It's groovy, it's fancy and it's addictive ! I can't get it out of my head and I have to stop myself from singing it under the shower :wink:

I would probably have done some things differently but hey this why everyone has its own style :mrgreen:

Have you considered publishing it on sites like jamendo, soundcloud and the likes ?
Recently I subscribed to tunecore where you can manage to have your music sold on amazon, itunes, etc.
Haven't sold anything yet myself but this could definitely be a seller if not a best seller :twisted:
| DoosC |
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

yea, another great track...and now vocals are prefectly in the mix....if I had a label i would contract Auto..lol verry talented guy
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

DoosC wrote:Hello Auto,
Congrats, this is huge ! 8)
Thank you DoosC :)
DoosC wrote:I already liked the previous versions but this one is even better, you managed to solve all the little things that didn't fit so well to transform it into a hit ! :D

It's groovy, it's fancy and it's addictive ! I can't get it out of my head and I have to stop myself from singing it under the shower :wink:
That's really cool to hear! I'm a sucker for melodies and to hear that I actually succeeded in creating a tune with a melody that is catchy and sticky is a real pleasant surprise.
DoosC wrote:I would probably have done some things differently but hey this why everyone has its own style :mrgreen:
True, but sometimes I wish I could break free. It's cool to have your own style but I think someone really talented can surpass that level and create anything he/she likes. So for me having my own style feels like a constraint sometimes. But I'll get there, I think for me the key is to really start listening to others.
DoosC wrote:Have you considered publishing it on sites like jamendo, soundcloud and the likes ?
http://soundcloud.com/the-infinite-repeat/the-infinite-repeat-unaware-of-a-direction
And I have a Jamendo account and I just uploaded the track which was kind of tedious. Now it's being 'moderated' whatever that means. I think I don't like Jamendo.
DoosC wrote:Recently I subscribed to tunecore where you can manage to have your music sold on amazon, itunes, etc.
Haven't sold anything yet myself but this could definitely be a seller if not a best seller :twisted:
I'll take a look at it, thanks for the pointer!

Best,

Jeremy
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

AutoStatic wrote:True, but sometimes I wish I could break free. It's cool to have your own style but I think someone really talented can surpass that level and create anything he/she likes. So for me having my own style feels like a constraint sometimes.

errrr, I don't think so....if you like 100% what you did yesterday you will stop to evolute and most important, you will loose criativity.
How many artist there are wich first 1 or 2 albums are better than the followings? artist wich likes what he did yesterday is bad artist.
example: Michael Jackson definitly liked Thriller to much, imo he even liked Of the Wall to much
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Capoeira wrote:yea, another great track...and now vocals are prefectly in the mix....if I had a label i would contract Auto..lol verry talented guy
Thanks Capoeira! Once I have more songs I feel more or less confident about I will most definitely start sending them around. But in the end I think I'll release them myself. I've ran a record label with some friends for a couple of years so I know what's up.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Capoeira wrote:errrr, I don't think so....if you like 100% what you did yesterday you will stop to evolute and most important, you will loose criativity.
True. But I don't see how that relates to having the feeling your own style might constrain you?
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

AutoStatic wrote:
Capoeira wrote:errrr, I don't think so....if you like 100% what you did yesterday you will stop to evolute and most important, you will loose criativity.
True. But I don't see how that relates to having the feeling your own style might constrain you?
I wich way it constrains you? you feel yourself restricted to it? just don't search for your own style, have it
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Capoeira wrote:just don't search for your own style, have it
True too. You know, I should stop questioning these kind of matters and just do my thing :)
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

It's not easy to let go a song, one could be adding /changing stuff forever on it! I'm glad you learned a lot from th experience and as you generously shared the whole process, I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) have learned a lot as well!

So, thanks for sharing. The song is awesome and it does sounds great. Can't wait for the next one.