2019 Milestone recording

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

modusjonens
Established Member

2019 Milestone recording

Post by modusjonens »

This was my final piece of 2019. In many ways, this is the culmination of all I've learned about composing, recording, and arranging this past year.

https://soundcloud.com/modusjonens/unin ... nces-redux

It combines:
  • explorations of a theme
  • big, emotional buildups
  • djent-esque rhythms
  • crushing guitar
  • varied synth sounds
  • improbable bass figures
  • arpeggio abuse
  • video game music atmosphere
The main theme (starting at 0:15) had been floating around in my head for a few days, so I decided to try to get it down.

I originally thought it would work as a piano theme, but strings worked out in the moment and I ran with it.

I programmed/recorded the first half one day then programmed the remainder the following day.

I could see this being used in a video game or film. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Software:
LMMS
Hydrogen
Ardour

Hardware:
Line6 Pod HD500X
Peavey Tracer
folderol
Established Member

Re: 2019 Milestone recording

Post by folderol »

Very much like this. Lots of interesting textures and contrasts, with a sense of urgency all through that would very much fit a game theme.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
modusjonens
Established Member

Post by modusjonens »

Thank you, folderol! I appreciate your feedback.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I think this song could make a nice rhapsody if you developed the middle section more. My favorite part is right after the metal guitar thrash, from about 1:35-1:45, where the synth comes in on top of the guitar. It sounds like a prog rock jam, and I really like that texture you create. It left me a little unsatisfied, though, because this quickly fades out and the song then reprises the same melody from earlier in the song, albeit with more interesting texture in the supporting tracks. This is a good melody, but I think it repeats too many times in the song without variation.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

This is quite something. Amazing that it only took you two days, it sounds like it would have been a massive undertaking getting it all to fit together. It's definitely super-visual, I could imagine it going very well with an animated short where the scene or style changes along with the music.
listenable at c6a7.org
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Progressive track. Various melodic lines. Harmonic in generally. Listening is not boring. Excellent!

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

I'd definitely play that game, amazing track!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

This great! Seamless composition! I do have to admit in my head the main synth melody at the beginning with the right drums would make a killer Eurodisco dance tune! :D
elerale
Established Member

Post by elerale »

Hello,

Interesting ! I like it ! Well done :)

Cheers
r1
modusjonens
Established Member

Post by modusjonens »

@milo -- Thanks for your feedback! I have to admit I think you are correct; this piece could definitely benefit from a bit more variation. I like your rhapsody idea. I should sit down and see where that metal part can take me...

@ufug -- Thank you for listening! I have a tendency to try to finish ideas within the span of one day whenever possible. I really like the feeling of cranking out something like this in a short period of time.

@psyocean -- Thank you! I looked up this image and found that it is a painting by Filonov as a reaction to Shostakovitch's first symphony. I now want to learn more about both Filonov and Shostakovich!

@Rainmak3r -- Thank you for listening :) Glad you enjoyed!

@Gmaq -- Thank you for checking this out! I like the Eurodisco idea :)

@elerale -- Thank you!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

modusjonens wrote:@Rainmak3r -- Thank you for listening :) Glad you enjoyed!
Are you planning to expand on it? For all the good things it contains, it does feel a bit short, and I think that with the themes you have it could be longer and still be very interesting. The main theme in particular is something you can definitely build upon, with different variations and/or overlaps with other themes in the track: for instance, it's amazing as it sounds at the beginning, but it also gives this huge impact right away and from the get-go, which prevents you from having a similar climax later in the track. I really like the 5/4 riff as well, whose only fault is that it ends way too soon :mrgreen:

All in all, though, I repeat that it's a great track, and I *would* play that game :lol:
modusjonens
Established Member

Post by modusjonens »

@Rainmak3r -- I would definitely like to work out that middle section more. I already have a variation in mind for the main theme, not it's just a question of when I get around to it. :)

If and when I get around to it, I'll keep folks updated.