Omega

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

Omega

Post by milo »

I've been working on a remake of an old song for the last few months. This was previously a synth instrumental, but I added voices, guitars, bass, and drums. Here it is: https://alansanderson.band/2019/10/05/t ... ay-coming/

I started to get the feeling that I was working it over too much, so I decided to stop and just spend a few weeks listening to it before deciding if it was done. I'm pretty satisfied with this mixdown, so I think I'll keep it.

This song has the most complex signal flow of any recording I have ever done, I think. The three parts of the song have very different sounds, and a cadence pause between them allowed me to subtly change the master bus effects to bring out the unique sound of each movement. Actually, this was accomplished by the use of three separate “submaster” busses. A similar set of effects plugins was used on all three, but their individual settings are quite different.

I also found at one point that I was mastering too much while still recording and mixing. Ideally the workflow would look like this: Compose -> Record -> Mix -> Master. Normally I blur the lines a bit between adjacent steps, but because this song was a radical rewrite of an existing recording, the whole thing turned into a mess when I jumped from mastering straight back to composition and recording. At one point I decided to disable all of the master bus plugins and just work on the mix, and that improved the sound of the track more than any tweaking of master bus parameters. I think I learned a lesson there: don't start mastering until the mix is as good as you can get it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!
folderol
Established Member

Re: Omega

Post by folderol »

Slightly odd contrasts, but very enjoyable track, and resolves very nicely.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Always love your stuff milo. You are one of my favorite songwriters not only on this forum, in general!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, this is kind of a weird song. There was a version of it that I used to play with my high school grunge band, with no synthesizers, and even then it was kind of a weird song. That old version had some lyrics that were unkind to a guy that used to be in that band, and I have always regretted that unkindness. I think this version redeems the song.

Thanks for listening!
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Interesting harmony line, as river, which change own direction... Nice sequence of the parts...
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/