Last Summer

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Last Summer

Postby Rainmak3r » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:25 pm

It's been a few weeks since I last published something. The reason is I've been working on 4-5 tracks at the same time, none of which I'm even close to completing since work has started taking its toll, and it's hard to find the time or energy... A couple of days ago, though, I picked my Ukulele and started playing with it, and this melancholic chords came to life. I knew I wanted the sound of waves to accompany them, and maybe some strings to give a "Secret Story" by Pat Metheny feel to it (with the due differences, clearly...), and what came out was this sad goodbye to yet another summer:

https://soundcloud.com/lminiero/last-summer-demo

It's a very basic track and recording, but although I started thinking of how I could work on it, add crescendos, more instruments and pathos and impact and so on, I decided not to overdo it, and keep it as it came instead. At the end, I do like how soothing it sounds (I've listened to it many times these past few days), and even if it required very little work or effort, I wanted to share it nevertheless.

From a technical perspective, nothing substantial. I recorded a regular (quite cheap) Ukulele using an external pick up, and added a very slight compressor and reverb. Strings I played myself too on a MIDI keyboard, using the "Frozen Strings" VST by SpitFire Labs (https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs/). The waves I found on FreeSound.org.

I hope you'll like it!

folderol
Established Member

Re: Last Summer

Postby folderol » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:16 am

Sort of has a camp fire feel to it :)

milo
Established Member

Postby milo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:30 pm

A nice little sketch with a wistful mood. I think you captured the moment well.

The ukulele sounds like the input gain was a little high, or maybe the mic was too close.

ufug
Established Member

Postby ufug » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:34 pm

Rainmak3r wrote:It's a very basic track and recording, but although I started thinking of how I could work on it, add crescendos, more instruments and pathos and impact and so on, I decided not to overdo it, and keep it as it came instead.

Good call, it's beautiful as-is. You truly captured a feeling in those strums.

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Postby Rainmak3r » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:21 pm

Thank you all for the nice words!

milo wrote:The ukulele sounds like the input gain was a little high, or maybe the mic was too close.

Yeah, I tried to fix that a bit, but in some parts the gain remained way too high. The mic is a small round pick-up that you put on the Ukulele itself, so I don't think you can put it further, as it needs to sit there. More likely I was indeed raising the gain too much in my Scarlett Solo interface, because it felt the capture volume was too low when I was playing it. Not sure when I'll need to record an Ukulele again, but I'll definitely pay more attention next time :D

psyocean
Established Member

Postby psyocean » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:18 am

Elegant miniature. Melancholic beauty!

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/

Basslint
Established Member

Postby Basslint » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:25 am

I like it a lot! Please make more of these atmospheric tracks!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Return to “Original Scores & Recordings”