OllFe live - second live looping electro performance

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

OllFe
Established Member

OllFe live - second live looping electro performance

Post by OllFe »

https://youtu.be/RFDtjJPV8sY

Heyho boys and girls,

I happy to present a video from our second time out of rehearsal room. After months of jamming and playing with our setup its time to come in front of some audience ;) OK, here we talk about 20 people, but its enough for the "concert-feeling". We are satisfied with our performance, knowing that there is some room for improvement (like a better arrangement of the loops, transitions between "tracks" and so on). We use delay, reverb and high/lowpass in combination with some sidechain compression on the synths.

We call the genre something between House/Deephouse and harmonic techno, what is your suggestion? If you own a Club, would you let us play there ;P ?

Thanks for listening!
Wish a nice Sunday!
Olli - OllFe
live performed - linux powered - loop based - electro band
http://www.soundcloud.com/ollfe
psyocean
Established Member

Re: OllFe live - second live looping electro performance

Post by psyocean »

Interesting, joyful electronic perfomance!
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

That looks like so much fun! And it was even a sunny, outdoor venue. It's hard to ask for better than that. Lots of cool sounds coming out of your synth in this gig.

This sounds like an open-air recording, with crowd noise, etc. I'd be interested in hearing an internal system recording of such a gig. Probably the sound quality would be a lot better.
OllFe
Established Member

Post by OllFe »

Thanks a lot!

Yes, it was a great day and nice weather for this open-air action.
And yes, it is the original sound of the smartphone that recorded this video.

Normally we have our own internal recording possibillities, but on that time our SSD-storage was full ;( It took hours to free up in the last days, time we didn't have in this moment of preparation for the gig. BUT: we have a mono post-mixer recording that is clear but quite "flat" compared to the "smartphonesound". This also takes some time for me to prepare for good, fat sound. The decision for the smartphone sound was to hear the partying girls, inclusive my wife ;)

Today we are back in rehearsal room and practice for the next performance (hopefully next month). I thought about increasing dynamic with a bit automation in some synth sounds. Its tricky because we have no clear arrangement like chorus, we only know the set of beat, synthsound and melody and will arrange that live on the fly. A predefined automation curve will not match our style of playing. Any hints so far?
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Are you using any modular synths? I didn't notice any on your list. That might give you the automation you want, at the price of maybe too many choices for where to tweak the sound. But you could start small. Try a simple patch on VCV, plug in a few LFOs here and there and see what you get.
OllFe
Established Member

Post by OllFe »

You are right, we don't have any modular pieces in our setup. We wanted to try out the software FX & plugins before we spent some money to more hardware. But a virtual module is of course something where we need to think about.

Another thought was to use the seq24 as an "synced parameter modulator" that modulates i.e. the panning of a synth-subgroup with knob for us to control the ammount. Do you know what I mean? Panning is only an example to show, maybe it also can be a flanger or saturator.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

OllFe wrote:https://youtu.be/RFDtjJPV8sY

Heyho boys and girls,

I happy to present a video from our second time out of rehearsal room. After months of jamming and playing with our setup its time to come in front of some audience ;) OK, here we talk about 20 people, but its enough for the "concert-feeling".
Thanks for sharing thoughts, video and tech details, makes it much easier to get into for a newbie techno listener.

The live drumming makes it so much more well ..live to look at and groove along with. How is that structured? Is the drummer looping some parts on the fly or triggering pre-recorded ones? Can he tap change tempos for the sequencer? Which techno groups using live instruments would you recommend?

Not a club owner, hope there are plenty close to you to contact, maybe fitness studios also, who might like a beat with a human touch like yours in the room to pump up the sweat. If hiring you to a party I'd soup you up a bit with lights and reflective stickers and such to get some more visual movement highlight of dat beat. Maybe some projections visuals patterns something also.
OllFe
Established Member

Post by OllFe »

Hi Fmajor7add9,

let me try to answer your questions (as I am the drummer and administrator of our setup ;) ):

live drumming is the part that makes it a bit unique and should be the half of our performance. And you are absolutely right when you say "loop on the fly", because we dont want to bring prearranged loops on stage. All you can hear is done in this moment. The drum sounds are coming from my drumcomputer (2box drumit5), the little box on my drum rack. With the big (squared) pads (Roland Oktapad-80 & Alesis Controlpad) I only control "record" and "undo" for six loops in sooperlooper.

tempochanges are impossible in this setup. we are running on 128bpm while ardour is the timemaster. As we never know how long we "jam" on a theme, predefined tempo changes won't match our playstyle.

other projekts like these? good question... I've seen Duo called "Schleck und Stecker" that played along with an analog drummer, but they cancelled it. Have a look at "Meute" ;)

Nice idea with fitness studio, but our goal is to enter traditional clubs and open-airs to have a dancing crowd arround us.
Thanks for the thoughts, the reflektive tape is something I need to add to my drumsticks !!!

best regards,
Olli from OllFe
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

OllFe wrote: we dont want to bring prearranged loops on stage. All you can hear is done in this moment. The drum sounds are coming from my drumcomputer (2box drumit5), the little box on my drum rack. With the big (squared) pads (Roland Oktapad-80 & Alesis Controlpad) I only control "record" and "undo" for six loops in sooperlooper.

tempochanges are impossible in this setup. we are running on 128bpm while ardour is the timemaster. As we never know how long we "jam" on a theme, predefined tempo changes won't match our playstyle.

other projekts like these? good question... I've seen Duo called "Schleck und Stecker" that played along with an analog drummer, but they cancelled it. Have a look at "Meute" ;)
thanks Olli from OllFe :), interesting to learn more about setup and such, fixed tempo was a surprise and I might get back to you on that if I ever decide to give sooperlooper a run. Fascinating with the live jam instead of going through premade arrangements.

A walkthrough video demo would be great if you have time, you must have a lot of fun with the loops and get to play parts and ideas that'd never work in a normal band drummer setting.

Thanks for Schleck und Stecke, found a set of theirs, with acoustic drums, oompti party vollgas.

All the best for the project, hope you'll more fun and full dancefloors moving to your Linux powered beat.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

This isn't my cup of tea at all, but sounds pretty good. Synth sounds are really nice.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.