jam618 - sketch

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

jam618 - sketch

Post by jonetsu »

All parts are now in place for this sketch. Guitar parts will be re-recorded, drums will see variations, mixing will be done (currently only a rough mix, perhaps a bit too loud also) as well as mastering. This is still a longer piece at around 10 minutes. Ideas welcomed.

It starts off smoothly then gets into gear.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/jam618-excerpt

Cheers.
psyocean
Established Member

Re: jam618 - sketch

Post by psyocean »

Masterpiece... :idea:

Need semantic title for this excellent work :!:

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I find it very good until ~4 min or so. Then I loose somewhat interest as the track is going nowhere (the way that it is now, it's too long imo).
But this also can be a question of the mix. For instance if the synth sequence that sets in at ~4:30 would be more prominent it would be more interesting. I'm also missing some kind of an arc of suspense. The rather long part in between sounds almost like industrial music sometimes, but it's sounding too soft for that. It needs more punch and noise.
A bit more clarity would be nice, it sound quite dull. But you wrote that it's not mixed yet.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

@psyocean: thanks for the comment/picture. Always makes me smile.

@lillith: thanks for the comment. Yes, it does indeed get a bit "boring" with the improv, in a way. I already have chosen a set of drum fills to add, in addition to the synth solo itself being reworked a bit, and possibly adding some guitar and other sounds here and there, to populate. It could be that the time allowed for the improvisation will be shortened although I would like to see how far I could maintain attention in the final version (or at least the next one).

The near-comparison with industrial music is interesting and could define a line to go along. Would you mind specifying what it is you exactly mean by that "rather long part in between sounds" ?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I mean the part between 2:50 and 7:30.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I've been listening to this all morning. First I will say that I quite like the sound. Your guitar work is simply lovely. The synth textures are also quite nice, and the variability throughout the piece is nice to follow.

I think @lilith is right about the middle section needing a bit of something to keep the momentum going, although the more I listen to it the more I appreciate what you are doing there. Changing up the drumbeat here and there would help, but I think the mixing/mastering could bring out the individual voices a bit. There are quite a few musical changes through that middle part of the song, but they are subtle. If subtle is what you want, then I would say don't change a thing about it.

I am excited to hear where you take this track! So far I am very impressed.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

milo wrote: I think @lilith is right about the middle section needing a bit of something to keep the momentum going, although the more I listen to it the more I appreciate what you are doing there. Changing up the drumbeat here and there would help, but I think the mixing/mastering could bring out the individual voices a bit.
Thanks for the comment, much appreciated.

I like this section, I find there's something in it. Comments are right though, and there should be a bit more attention grabbing going on in there. Nothing too exuberant, keeping perhaps most of the laid back aspect where rhythm blends with the notes. Maybe at the same time making it more concise in time, depends. If it's possible to make that 'improv' part really feel like a 'journey' with some 'sightseeing' so to speak then maybe there's no need to cut it in time. I'm also starting to like the guitar sound, or at least to like that I've started to find what seems to be a not-too-bad sound (for now).

All in all I'm looking forward to work on this further.

Cheers.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Quite liked this, but more as a musical background than specific listening.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

folderol wrote:Quite liked this, but more as a musical background than specific listening.
Yes. An upgrade to this sketch would add more foreground elements to add depth and to offer more perspective to look out for when listening.

The more I do sketches and pieces the more I find it seems like a sightseeing tour of sorts where a sightseer, a listener, would take a 'trip' and watch the scenery as the tour bus advances. Or the rickshaw. Or the bicycle :) And it's my duty to offer a varied sightseeing for the tour. Although sometimes it can be in a desert but then the sightseeing must show the desert in an interesting way.