I'll be back for you (instrumental version)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: I'll be back for you (instrumental version)

Post by Rainmak3r »

GMaq wrote:Hi,

Great work for a first project, rhythmically tight and nice guitar sounds and melodies! Programmed drums are really tough to pull off and on my first listen I think the drums need the most work to give better dynamics and expression, but the best thing about sequenced drums is you can always drop in a new version.. :wink:

If this is a neophyte effort you have much promise and I'll look forward to what's coming next!
Thanks, this is greatly appreciated! The version you listened to is one I updated to use better drums, with DrumGizmo, so I hoped they sounded better already... but yes, making them sound more "human" is definitely one of the next challenges!

For reference, this is the track (now set to private, and replaced with the new one) I originally submitted, where drums were much more lackluster (you could hardly hear kicks for instance), and much more boring during the verse: https://soundcloud.com/lminiero/ill-be- ... al-version
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Unfortunately your old link doesn't work for me and says it's removed..

As an example of getting (more) convincingly human drum sounds here are some sequences done with my own drumkits and programmed in Hydrogen with a little post production in Ardour. These examples don't use any 'humanizing' and are simply done using the existing velocity layers in the drumkits and the velocity settings in Hydrogen. Now of course I am aware that for metal these are not the sounds or kits you want but the point is more the time taken in velocity programming regardless of the music genre or kit samples themselves.

Example 1: https://soundcloud.com/glen-macarthur/a ... l-4pc-demo

Example 2: https://soundcloud.com/glen-macarthur/a ... ppelin-5pc

Even though I've created some drumkits for Linux users for the last several years I've had the luxury of having a good human drummer (my son) living and recording with me but he's off to University for a few years so now I will have to taste my own drum recipes again for a while.. :lol:

Anyway not to distract from your topic, just to say time spent on drum programming and understanding of what a human drummer actually plays like can have a huge effect on the end production.. :wink:
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

GMaq wrote:Hi,

Unfortunately your old link doesn't work for me and says it's removed..

As an example of getting (more) convincingly human drum sounds here are some sequences done with my own drumkits and programmed in Hydrogen with a little post production in Ardour. These examples don't use any 'humanizing' and are simply done using the existing velocity layers in the drumkits and the velocity settings in Hydrogen. Now of course I am aware that for metal these are not the sounds or kits you want but the point is more the time taken in velocity programming regardless of the music genre or kit samples themselves.

Example 1: https://soundcloud.com/glen-macarthur/a ... l-4pc-demo

Example 2: https://soundcloud.com/glen-macarthur/a ... ppelin-5pc

Even though I've created some drumkits for Linux users for the last several years I've had the luxury of having a good human drummer (my son) living and recording with me but he's off to University for a few years so now I will have to taste my own drum recipes again for a while.. :lol:

Anyway not to distract from your topic, just to say time spent on drum programming and understanding of what a human drummer actually plays like can have a huge effect on the end production.. :wink:
Oh I actually did play with your drumkits, before moving to DrumGizmo, kudos for that amazing job! I had a version of this song using the Black Pearl drumkit, and it sounded way better than the old version did, although I still had some issues getting kicks to be heard properly in the mix. I also modified the velocities in that version for a more organic sound, and it did indeed help, but then I fell in love with the MuldjordKit and started using that: I didn't do the same with DrumGizmo because I thought it did some "humanization" of its own (it has dedicated settings pretty much like the Hydrogen mixer does), but I understand your point about how relying on that may not be enough, or actually good at all. I'll definitely use those velocity settings for each note in Hydrogen more in the future, thanks for the tip!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Just to clarify.. Drumgizmo is really great and I wasn't trying to pimp my wares, those were the only examples I had at hand to demonstrate the programming is all.. :wink:

Look forward to hearing your future projects..