Episodes (new album)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

caryoscelus
Established Member

Episodes (new album)

Post by caryoscelus »

Hi all,

I have recently finished a new album "Episodes". It's made in ardour, using various samples, synth and effects and contains (midi-)instrumental music, which flavour i can't adequately describe (though some tracks certainly have neoclassical leanings). Some of the tracks were lying around my hard drive for a while, and others are just recent compositions, but i believe they fit together fairly well.

As i mentioned in my introduction post, i host my music on zeronet; if you run it, you can reach the new album here, otherwise it's also available from proxies, such as https://zn.amorgan.xyz/1FiHm91tcDdjkiGk ... /episodes/ (unfortunately there's no convenient downloading with this option yet). All tracks are using libre samples, contain original (with some PD quotes) scores and are licensed under CC-BY-SA
libre artist in many media :: site :: support my music on badcamp :: liberapay ::
ko-fi
folderol
Established Member

Re: Episodes (new album)

Post by folderol »

I had great difficulty getting to your work and in the end was only able to play one track, after which my browser reported the site was using a 'no longer supported technology'. This is unfortunate as I quite liked the one I heard :(
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

folderol wrote:I had great difficulty getting to your work and in the end was only able to play one track, after which my browser reported the site was using a 'no longer supported technology'. This is unfortunate as I quite liked the one I heard :(
Sorry to hear that. I think i can come up with a quick solution (a static option that doesn't require any js, though that would mean you'd have to switch tracks manually). Long-term i plan to make a better site, with an easier download option, better player et al, but unfortunately i'm a bit lazy about site-building.

The two things that you can try right now:
  • switch browser (it works for me and other people on firefox)
  • install zeronet and listen to local files (well, i understand that can be a little complicated, but if you'd like to go for that, i'd be glad to help and it would help host my music)
I'll post an update when static option is available
libre artist in many media :: site :: support my music on badcamp :: liberapay ::
ko-fi
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

Quick static version is available now.

https://zn.amorgan.xyz/1FiHm91tcDdjkiGk ... tatic.html
ko-fi
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Thanks.
Some nice work in there.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

Thx ;)
ko-fi
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Been listening to this at work through the morning. There are some nice melodies here and there through the album. I am a big fan of baroque classical, with its harmonic consistency, so all of these key changes and unexpected chord transitions on your album are a little jarring to my ear.

The sound font is not bad, but some of the instruments sound closer to the real thing than others. In general the strings sound better than the woodwinds, IMO. I like the mix of unapologetic synth sounds on top, like in the last track.

"Will the Spring Come?" has some echoes of the second movement of Vivaldi's "Spring" from "The Four Seasons."
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

milo wrote:I am a big fan of baroque classical, with its harmonic consistency, so all of these key changes and unexpected chord transitions on your album are a little jarring to my ear.
And there i thought i was holding back on this album :) When listening i'm not sure i have strong preferences (depends on the mood), but when composing i like a fair amount of harmonic (or even atonal) wandering.
The sound font is not bad, but some of the instruments sound closer to the real thing than others.
Some instruments are made with synth, and some with sampler. Probably i should've been more consistent.
"Will the Spring Come?" has some echoes of the second movement of Vivaldi's "Spring" from "The Four Seasons."
Yeah, it's based off couple of themes from it ;) There is also at least one more quotation on the album

Thanks for the comments
ko-fi