The Incontinentals - "Brandy"

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

The Incontinentals - "Brandy"

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

In the process of doing some paid work for some good friends who have been doing music for 50+ years. A fun and funny group of guys and terrific musicians and vocalists. Here's a video I just finished of one of their fave cover songs that they also nail live... "Brandy" (originally by "Looking Glass").

I recorded and mixed and mastered the Audio with Ardour 5.12, my son Connor did the camera work and I synced and edited the Video with Cinelerra-GG, it was the most complicated Video project I've ever done, despite all the bitching about previous versions of Cinelerra I was able to assemble, edit and render this project effortlessly with not even one glitch or crash, by using 'proxy' files I could smoothly edit 9 tracks of Video and 2 tracks of mixed down Audio on my old Q6600 quad core computer without even a burp!

And the Video is here: https://youtu.be/6YTO0v8aZzc

With the exception of a uhe Presswerk Limiter plugin this was all done on a stock AV Linux 2019 install.
milo
Established Member

Re: The Incontinentals - "Brandy"

Post by milo »

Awesome performance, nice video editing, great sound! This is really fantastic work all around. I'm very impressed, and envious.

Did you really record all of the vocals (lead and backing) on one mic? How did you get the mixing balance so good?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi milo!

The Audio and Video sessions were at different times so indeed the Vocals were tracked separately in the backing track, the Video is essentially staged to appear like the original recording session was filmed. In these days and times of newsfeed-based consumption it seems having a YouTube version of your work is a must and gives better coverage than just an Audio-only recording. Additionally these guys wanted to document the process for posterity.

Thanks for watching, looking forward to more of your songs!

Glen
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

You guys really have the process down--this is excellent in every regard.

50 years of playing together! All of a sudden I don't feel so old. Why do I have the feeling this didn't take too long to track and the mixing was pretty painless as well? ;)

Edited to note my delight in the band name.
listenable at c6a7.org
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Great job by all concerned, Glen.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@ufug

Thanks so much for watching and commenting! Yeah, I think they laid down a bed track in 2 takes! I agree about not feeling so old..., I've been with my band for almost 30 years and these guys very much inspire me that there's some fire in these bones yet!

And yes, the band name is indicative of their wicked senses of humour... :lol:

@magicalex

Thanks very much for watching and the compliment!

Hey why don't we see more of your Vids here!!?? I'd love to see at least some of them beyond the Instagram clips.. :wink: You are the probably the most seasoned Linux Video Editor/User that I can think of..
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Happy band! :) Excellent video! Nice song!

I have in comp Q6600 too, during 11-12 years, its reliably :mrgreen: May be used Xeon-processor should be next step... :idea:

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Not my music, but that's very well done and I like the down to earth feeling of that song. I immediately feel like I'm sitting somewhere in the States in a bar and having a bear or two (or three and then looking urgently for the next toilette) :mrgreen:

btw: Is this your studio??
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

lilith wrote:Not my music, but that's very well done and I like the down to earth feeling of that song. I immediately feel like I'm sitting somewhere in the States in a bar and having a bear or two (or three and then looking urgently for the next toilette) :mrgreen:

btw: Is this your studio??
Hi lilith,

Thanks for watching and commenting, yes this is my studio, it's not very big but every project teaches me something and I feel I'm getting better sounds and improving techniques as time goes on...

Lol, not really my kind of music either, but I do remember this song being all over the radio when I was a kid... I was a little puzzled by the guitarists choice of guitar for the video... we're Canadians... so the USA guitar and the gunbelt strap seemed a bit much to me but as they say "the customer is always right"... :roll:
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Excellent song, excellent playing, excellent vocals, excellent production.
But what most touches me in this song and video is the love for music.
Just awesome.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

rghvdberg wrote:Excellent song, excellent playing, excellent vocals, excellent production.
But what most touches me in this song and video is the love for music.
Just awesome.
Hi rghvdberg!

Thanks very much for the comment, indeed these guys sure aren't in it for the money! :wink:
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

Been a while since I've heard that one. Very nice. The vocal harmonies are spot on.