funky album produced on the big tux itself

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

marksilver
Established Member

funky album produced on the big tux itself

Post by marksilver »

prolly a little bit pandering for me to only post here once in a blue moon, but i just put out an album im really proud of & thought id share it here (made using lmms & audacity on ubuntu mate).
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: funky album produced on the big tux itself

Post by Michael Willis »

There's nothing wrong with only visiting one in a blue moon, when you are spending time actually making music, instead of doing what I do, sitting around here jabbering while procrastinating my own music projects. :lol:

Good stuff, I listened to the first track on my phone while trying to put two little boys to bed. The three-year-old sat up and started swinging his head while doing a rhythmic shoulder shrug maneuver. By the end he was standing on the floor moving his hips all over the place.

After that I decided to do the responsible thing and put off listening to the rest until a time that I have proper headphones and I'm not putting kids to bed.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

There are good things in there, although I haven't listened to all songs. One consistent thing though: the music could be much, much more punchier and up front. More drive, more output, to go with the vocals which could stay the same. Like, put more music upfront. Not to bury the vocals, but to add sparkle. As it is it sounds more like someone playing at a club. This said, again, there are good things in there, basically the songs are good.

Cheers.
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Spiritual revival of the spirit of Lennon with the connection to electronic mind of synthesizers :idea:
Interesting album with a spring mood, excellent work! :)
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

This album has a definite early 80's feel to it. Makes me feel like a kid again. It also reminds me of an album my friend recorded in his bedroom when we were teenagers. (It's the drum sounds. They sound just like the keyboard he used a lot on that album.) Good times!

The vocals sound like they are doubled up on a lot of the songs, meaning that you mixed together two takes. Is that what you did, or is there some effect that does this? It's an interesting sound that I don't think I have ever used on a recording. I notice "Cheers" has a single lead vocal track with lots of reverb, and it makes that song stand out from the others. "Beatmaker, Risktaker" also stands out for its vocals. It sounds like you recorded them at about 0.75 speed?

I think "Keep it Low" is my favorite track, and really stands out from the rest of the album IMO. Nice groove, excellent synth melody in the chorus.

Overall I think the songwriting is better than the recording. But that's part of the charm of amateur music. Kudos to you for pulling off a whole album. That takes a lot of dedicated effort.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Also I was thinking that some slap bass and some wah-wah guitar would fit pretty well here and there on the album.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Thanks for dropping this here Mark! Another stellar collection. The tunes are catchy as all get out, and your writing is top notch. You have a great ability to hit that sweet spot between sincere sentiment + cleverness.

The move to the bridge in the song "Cheers" sounds like a Brian Wilson/Smile outtake. That great Stevie Wonder-esque change in "Waking Up in the Moonlight" is killer. "Going Out for Breakfast" is hilarious. Also "wiscodisco".

As for the production, I have no idea. I like it how it is, because it seems like it is what it wants to be. I do wish there were a few more organic sounds in there, but that's just me (edit: and milo). I don't think I've ever heard a collection of "songs" made in LMMS, usually it's electronic dance beats. What made you go for LMMS?

You may be the missing link between Human League and Homeshake. Or Bee Gees and Ween.

Speaking of Ween, how did you get that vocal effect in the title track?
listenable at c6a7.org
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

Congrats on another album!

Some really catchy stuff on here, I agree the DIY aspect is very much part of the charm. Thanks for sharing!
marksilver
Established Member

Post by marksilver »

whoa i totally forgot about this thread lol

hey thanks y'all for the feedback, especially w/ regards to the overall sonic production; 'gives me another thing to consider when mixing stuff, which in turn helps me grow in that aspect of the music creation process! :)

to answer some questions:

most of the vox tracks are indeed 2 tracks to make 'em sound fuller, so it's not some weird effect lol. also, the vox on the title track are the result of slowing down the instrumental, recording the vox, & speeding the whole mix back up.

I dig LMMS almost exclusively becoz of the soundfont player, since i have a ton of soundfonts sitting on my harddrive & dont own most of the instruments that turn up on this record. that & i love being able to seamlessly integrate the CALF effects into the instrumental mixes. it's just an overall versatle sequencing tool, & combining it with recording vox in audacity is a rock-solid setup! :)