Dave Clark Five cover

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CraigPid
Established Member

Dave Clark Five cover

Post by CraigPid »

I recorded this with my two oldest daughters. The younger, 10, did the lead vocal and the older, 14, the harmony. The older daughter also played the organ part. Kind of a tricky one to teach them as there is 12 chords I think with a couple of augmented fifths and a double augmented fifth or whatever you would call that. I recorded and mixed in Ardour and used Zyn-Fusion for the organ part. Played the guitar parts through Guitarix. I found an IR of a Mesa Boogie Studio 22 that I quite liked that I put in my Guitarix patch. Also used Calf Multi Chorus, X42 EQ, A-Compressor from Ardour and Tap Reverberator. Also used Hydrogen for the drums with the Black Pearl kit from Glen McArthur.

https://soundcloud.com/pidruchny-family-music/because
davephillips
Established Member

Re: Dave Clark Five cover

Post by davephillips »

CraigPid wrote:I recorded this with my two oldest daughters...
I'm old enough to remember this one when it came out. One the DC5's best songs.

Major props to the girls for their performance. I enjoyed this quite a lot, everything about it.

Best,

dp
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

This has a high charm factor. Definitely among my favorite things ever shared here.
listenable at c6a7.org
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

Thank you so much for that. I was originally thinking that I would get my older daughter to sing the lead and I would do the harmony as the harmony is a little awkward. I was impressed that she was able to learn it and the 12 or so chords. When I started recording the lead with my 10 year old, she said she couldn't sing it. When I got her to go up an octave and she started singing in that voice I was floored.
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Beautiful fairy song! :)

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

This is really nice. I like the guitar work especially, with the two guitars in the left and right speakers. A bass part would round out the sound a bit.

I have some recordings I did with my kids recently that I ought to post here. Some old John Denver and Kingston Trio songs. Recording with kids is a lot of fun, and I am consistently impressed with what they come up with.

Thanks for posting!
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

@ milo-I was browsing through a bit of the stuff you have on the page you linked. Nice site. Seems like you had the same idea as me. When it got too hectic with the kids to record my music, I just got them in on it. It was actually my oldest daughter's idea to record the first Christmas album.
In the track I posted, there is a bass part. I suppose it is pretty unobtrusive (in the spirit of the original recording). I am a little out of practice at mixing though and I probably did back it off a little too much.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I just played this for my wife and explained how it was recorded, and she said, "Awwwww."

I can hear the bass now that I'm not listening on the uber-cheap PC speakers I have at work. It sounds nice, and I wouldn't mix the bass any higher. The problem was on my end, not yours. :)

It is a bit hard to make out the lyrics in a few places. That is mostly a performance issue, but removing a bit of the midrange with an EQ on the mixdown can bring the vocals to the front sometimes.

Again, nice work! Tell the girls we liked it.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi CraigPid!

Been away from these parts for a while, what a fun recording to hear upon returning! Great work by all, your girls will always treasure the fun moments you had creating these songs, maybe you haven't had time to achieve superstardom in your own right but you are giving your kids something that will be with them a lifetime, keep up the great work and kudos to the kids!
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Very nice!

A double augmented 5th is a 6th. So the chords in the intro go:

Code: Select all

|G / / /|G+ / / /|G6 / / /|G+ / / /|
G6 is a synonym for Em7 : they have the same notes -- G B D E or E G B D.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

Thank you Glen.
@ merlyn- Yes.Sorry. I didn't actually think that double aug 5th was a thing.