Le clair de la lune

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

Re: Le clair de la lune

Post by lilith »

Ok, thanks guys for the feedback. I'll try to get rid of the annoying mid range as soon I uploaded the stuff for the FM competition :D
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Loki Harfagr wrote: I suppose it's "spottable" with a spectral analysis but I reckon I didn't make any, that's the privilege of the creator! :)
That's a good point, but I'm not so familiar with it.
This is a 2500ms integrated spectrum at ~2.40:

Can you see from this that the mid range is too pronounced?
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Somehow, I'd think there's already some signs of some "excitation" on various simultanous mids "teeth", but this type of graph is a bit rough to read for "freq impressions", I would have had more an idea about using this type of graph, longer (but reasonable) time:

Code: Select all

# sox Le_clair_de_la_lune-484533324.wav -n rate 3200 remix 1,2 trim 60 20 spectrogram -z 120 -w Hamming
I put a "sox" expression so it's easy to reproduce without other complicated tools but you can of course use the spectrum visualizer you prefer, the sox exp simply reads as:

rate 3200 : use only 0-1600 Hz frequency (thus work with double=3200)
remix 1,2 : use both channels as mono
trim 60 20 : analyse 20 seconds starting at 01:00
spectrogram -z 120 -w Hamming : the spectrogram will use a Hamming type with 120 dB of precision

Anyway, the problem with pictures is once you start really trying to find explanations of sound you will find some, but when do we know it's not just because we really wanted to find it? :D
So, take the analysis with precautions and as a simple helping tool more than as a certification process!
And I bet that some people here much more advanced on using spectral analysis could give a real help instead of my best wish approach ;)
spectrogram.jpeg
spectrogram.jpeg (57.2 KiB) Viewed 576 times
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thanks, I think I found the problem. I sometimes boosted the 1-2 kHz range for the guitars and the violins. When correcting this and lowering a bit the mids in the master channel I think it sounds better. Will post a new version the next days here.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thanks, I think I found the problem. I sometimes boosted the 1-2 kHz range for the guitars and the violins. When correcting this and lowering a bit the mids in the master channel I think it sounds better. Will post a new version the next days here.

I didn't know about this "sox" program and it seems to be very useful.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I tried to EQ the song and the result is here:

https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/le-clair-de-la-lune-1

the old version is private now and can still be found here:

https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/le-cla ... ne/s-Dw2FG

I think it's better now, right? It sounds smoother and not so much in your face.

edit: Sounds indeed much better :D Thanks again!

looks pretty identical to the picture above:
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

About the new version!

There's certainly some change for the better since I now was able to listen to the full piece, and even twice fully (2 different audiocard and headphones) :-)
And thus I finally heard the guitar solo(*) part as a "passage" of the whole as opposed to my previous attemps where I had to scatter the audition. Besides its mix is much better here, less "zzzingy/fuzzy".
I still have some "ear fatigue" especially on the right ear but only on some short parts (e-g: ~01:35) and not harsh enough to make me stop listening so either that is I'm a bit too sensible ATM (possible since I listened to a lot of distortion guitar recently) or there still is a small room in improvement for some sounds or let's just call it the character of your piece, I hope that TrojakEW would give his own reflections on that new mix/make but I'd say that it is now a much wider mix and a bit more dynamic space in it.
(and the same "sox expression" than on the previous show a slightly more "blue" and less "red" repartition (the "yellow" are the notes played so they won't disappear, hopefully even more perceptible ;-)

Hope it helps, though of course it was more a simple personal appreciation than a scientific study ;-)

(*) I quite like the solo but still I find that between ~02:40--02:45 it carries/gives/says not much, might be just a weak finger hold/pressure in this phrase? Personnally I'd retake it, maybe a punch-in&out or if you're inspired go for the full solo? Note that this is just an opinion and not a demand :D
spectrogram-LCDL2.jpeg
spectrogram-LCDL2.jpeg (150.63 KiB) Viewed 555 times
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thanks very much for the input!! I listened again to it and now I find it quite harsh again :mrgreen: . I think there's too much going on in this track and I have to go into each single track again.

Concerning the guitar solo: Do you mean ~02:40--02:45 or ~02:30--02:35? Between ~02:30--02:35 I made a mistake and stretched a note with REAPER. ~02:40--02:45 has a little (unwanted) robotic staccatto feeling in, like I was hitting the strings with a force of 10000 N, if you mean that.