Outlaw

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

Outlaw

Post by lilith »

I'm still a bit aimless, trying things and different styles ... Anyway: here is another song which just evolved without having a plan, done in Ardour this time. Maybe it's finished, maybe not ... don't know yet.

I like the part from 2:10 where the organ sets in ...

https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/outlaw/s-s6NBX

Opinions (again) highly appreciated, especially concerning the mix and the stereo field ...
Style? Hopefully not EBM this time :lol:

Thanks for listening :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ardour, Guitar + Guitarix, Zynfusion, Podolski, Amsynth, RedZeppelin drums (<- pretty cool), Tal Noisemaker, diverse samples
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Outlaw

Post by jonetsu »

I don't know about the style. I don't even know what kind of music I do. Although Mike Senior has called the latest 'left field electronica'.

The mix is pretty good. The kick starting at 1:40 might take a tad too much place. A little touch of openess wouldn't harm, to make the mix feel just a bit more 'open'. It's pretty good as is though. The piece by itself is quite good, having nice turns while keeping the road. The keys introduced at around 3:53 could perhaps be more in focus by removing a bit of the high end percussion and adding bass, just maybe.

Cheers.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

jonetsu wrote:I don't know about the style. I don't even know what kind of music I do. Although Mike Senior has called the latest 'left field electronica'.

The mix is pretty good. The kick starting at 1:40 might take a tad too much place. A little touch of openess wouldn't harm, to make the mix feel just a bit more 'open'. It's pretty good as is though. The piece by itself is quite good, having nice turns while keeping the road. The keys introduced at around 3:53 could perhaps be more in focus by removing a bit of the high end percussion and adding bass, just maybe.

Cheers.
Thanks! These are really good suggestions! Happy that it sounds fine also on other monitoring systems. :D
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

lilith wrote:Thanks! These are really good suggestions! Happy that it sounds fine also on other monitoring systems. :D
That one was made of Yamaha HS5 + HS8s subwoofer.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

jonetsu wrote:
lilith wrote:Thanks! These are really good suggestions! Happy that it sounds fine also on other monitoring systems. :D
That one was made of Yamaha HS5 + HS8s subwoofer.
Neumann KH80 in a really bad room + headphones. I had the HS5 before but brought them back... there where some issues with the cones.

edit: Finito: https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/outlaw-1
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Mike Senior has called the latest 'left field electronica'.
Mike Senior himself? I'm currently reading his book on mixing.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

lilith wrote:Mike Senior himself? I'm currently reading his book on mixing.
Yes, the book is excellent. I refer to it on a regular basis. Second edition will be coming out before the end of the year.

I will listen to the update of your 'Outlaw' mix at a later time.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

That's pretty good. There would be always something to say, but that's pretty good. There's a feeling that a story is told by thw way the piece is structured and the sections arranged.

There might be too much difference between the two guitars stereo placement. Or maybe pan one somewhat towards the other just before the swithc is made as to introduce the other part. The last sound, the metal falling/spinning onto the ground, could end a bit more with a somewhat dramatic dark reverb. Anyways, that's what I'd hear.

From me it's pretty hard to just get a "sounds good, I like it" type of thing 8)

Cheers.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

jonetsu wrote:
That's pretty good. There would be always something to say, but that's pretty good. There's a feeling that a story is told by thw way the piece is structured and the sections arranged.

There might be too much difference between the two guitars stereo placement. Or maybe pan one somewhat towards the other just before the swithc is made as to introduce the other part. The last sound, the metal falling/spinning onto the ground, could end a bit more with a somewhat dramatic dark reverb. Anyways, that's what I'd hear.

From me it's pretty hard to just get a "sounds good, I like it" type of thing 8)

Cheers.
Thanks again for listening, I let it rest some days now before making the last adjustments as I already listened to ~100 times to it and when I wake up in the morning I hear the riff playing ...
Panning of the guitars is 90/10 10/90, maybe I should go back to 80/20 or something. Mike Senior writes a lot about hard panning left right ... likely I'm doing it wrong but for me 90/10 always sound better.

"metal falling/spinning onto the ground, could end a bit more with a somewhat dramatic dark reverb. "

I totally got it, I'll try what I can do.

...just started with another track (tempo 90 ... I think that will get pretty dark)

Cheers :)
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

42low wrote:Nicely done!
muchas gracias :D
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

So deep is the rabbit hole :D