Scion

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

skei
Established Member

Scion

Post by skei »

recording, production, sequencing, arrangement, etc, (everything except final mixing/mastering) done in linux, using bitwig studio, plus a bunch of (linux-) vst plugins..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gij9-81b9aQ
lilith
Established Member

Re: Scion

Post by lilith »

That's pretty awesome and original! Definetely will check the new album and also the older stuff. There was quite a change :mrgreen:
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

This is excellent at the production level. As music, it might depends onb mood. I enjoyed listenign to it. The next tune that youtube played, "Diving ..." is even better for ny current mood/taste. Very well produced. The feeling is creatively expressed at every stage of the production.

"Diving .." has a feel a bit like the Japanese band Mono in intensity. If I may, for sharing inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B00qU5uc58

I was just experimenting today with the kind of rhythms introduced in "Diving..." starting at 2:50, with Rayblaster beat resynthesis (ran with wine-staging/linvst).

Cheers.
Last edited by jonetsu on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

skei wrote:(linux-) vst plugins..
Only linux VSTs or also windows VSTs?
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

lilith wrote:Only linux VSTs or also windows VSTs?
yes.. at least during the creation/making/composition phases.. i have had lots of problems with all kinds of wrappers, so i don't use them very much - and there's so much great stuff available for linux now! the main (only?) thing i'm missing, is a proper amp/cab sim in vst format, so that i could get rid of my digitech box! .. guitarix as a vst plugins would be soo awesome!
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

jonetsu wrote:The next tune that youtube played, "Diving ..." is even better for ny current mood/taste.
cool! that one is from the "vilosophe" album, released in 2003, a few years before i went 100% linux, so there's mainly windows stuff going on there (reason, fl studio, gazillions of freeware plugins).. but we have later remade most of the songs for live-performances, using linux stuff :-)
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

skei wrote:
lilith wrote:Only linux VSTs or also windows VSTs?
yes.. at least during the creation/making/composition phases.. i have had lots of problems with all kinds of wrappers, so i don't use them very much - and there's so much great stuff available for linux now! the main (only?) thing i'm missing, is a proper amp/cab sim in vst format, so that i could get rid of my digitech box! .. guitarix as a vst plugins would be soo awesome!
Can you recommend any Linux native plugins? I mainly use free stuff like zynfusion, Tal, Helm, Guitarix. I have the feeling that I'm missing something. If it costs money it's not a problem as long it's not replaceable.
guitarix as a vst plugins would be soo awesome
I exported it as a LV2 plugin via Carla. In e.g. Reaper or Bitwig you can simply load Carla and put the Guitarix LV2 version inside Carla.
Maybe it's possible to wrap the Guitarix LV2 instance to a VST plugin with lv2vst? Did anyone try this? Reaper and Bitwig should really make possible to load LV2 plugins.

I read very often that guitarix doesn't sound as good as commercial or free windows plugins. I have the feeling people have prejudices or simply don't know how to use quitarix though. I can't imagine that in a final mix anyone can hear the difference.

I'm really curious how the Bitwig output sounds like and what was done in the (professionell?) mastering. Is the difference very big?
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

lilith wrote:Can you recommend any Linux native plugins? I mainly use free stuff like zynfusion, Tal, Helm, Guitarix. I have the feeling that I'm missing something. If it costs money it's not a problem as long it's not replaceable.
some nice free u-he plugins: beatzille, podolski, triplecheese, tyrelln6, zebracm
other nice ones: scorchcrafter, vstspeek3, the mda plugins, dexed, oxe, zynaddsubfx (the zynfusion version doesn't work on my machine).. and yeah, tal and helm.. and lately i've been playing around with protoplug a bit..
plus, i make a bunch of plugins myself..
and i probably forgot a bunch..

some commercial ones i'm using: glitch2, (renoise) redux, u-he ace, u-he hive

but more and more often, i just use whatever is built into the daw i'm using.. it's not the tools that are important, but how you use them.. now that bitwig has become my main "weapon of choice", i have a lot of stuff to experiment with.. and the linux version of reaper is progressing nicely, and in there we have the jesusonic effect/script stuff, plus some fabulous tools like spectral editing and reafir, etc.. lots of possibilities there..

sometimes i use standalone apps, like guitarix, but record the output directly as audio, and then continue from there with audio processing and messing it up completely :-) .. i also have a license for fl studio, and it works quite well in wine/linux, but i don't use it much, because the need for these wrappers and wine and stuff.. and i have played around with lmms a few times, but there's some weirdness with the knobs and controls, that i strongly dislike.. (i guess they're linear, and not logarithmic, making them close to useless)..
lilith wrote:I exported it as a LV2 plugin via Carla. In e.g. Reaper or Bitwig you can simply load Carla and put the Guitarix LV2 version inside Carla.
Maybe it's possible to wrap the Guitarix LV2 instance to a VST plugin with lv2vst? Did anyone try this? Reaper and Bitwig should really make possible to load LV2 plugins.
yeah, i know i can use a wrapper (carla, lv2vst, etc), but i don't like wrappers much, i have had too many projects fail to load because of either some wine or wrapper regressions or bugs.. also, when performing live, i want to have as stable a system as i can.. the fewer chances for something going wrong, the better.. :-/
lilith wrote:I'm really curious how the Bitwig output sounds like and what was done in the (professionell?) mastering. Is the difference very big?
actually, the other guys in the band is more positive towards mastering than i am personally.. i think the sound itself, for each separate song, isn't very different than the unmastered versions, but they fit better together as a whole, the frequencies and volume levels, etc, are more even throughout the album(s).. and i think they do some trickery with the vinyl-version mastering because of some technical limitations in the vinyl format (making low (sub) bass frequencies mono, and things like that).. but i have had several other albums released that has not been mastered at all, and haven't heard any complaints so far :-)
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Wow... thanks for that open discussion! You mentioned some plugins I never heard of yet. There is so much stuff to learn. I think even understanding zynfusion will take me weeks.

Redux doesn't work very well here in Reaper. It's not possible to type in notes in the pattern editor with the keyboard and with the mouse it's very tedious. There's a summer offer currently for Bitwig (80€ less), but I think I'll try to focus on Reaper.

btw., cause I was just listening to it: Where is the long sample in "Confluence [The Vilosophe Crux]" taken from? (edit: found it ( J.Buttgereit))
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

lilith wrote:Redux doesn't work very well here in Reaper. It's not possible to type in notes in the pattern editor with the keyboard and with the mouse it's very tedious. There's a summer offer currently for Bitwig (80€ less), but I think I'll try to focus on Reaper.
Are they the same ? Does Reaper works with Clip Scenes that can be recorded in an Arranger ? If so they are then comparable in creative function. If not, they are like apples and oranges.

Not mentioning the Modulators, the Containers, etc...

BTW, your recent post at renoise.com about Redux not working made me go in reference to the problem I uncovered in 2015.

Redux works fine in Bitwig. I use it often.

Cheers.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Are they the same ? Does Reaper works with Clip Scenes that can be recorded in an Arranger ? If so they are then comparable in creative function. If not, they are like apples and oranges.
These are apples and oranges, but there's an extension called Reaper Playtime (https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/) which will also be ported to Linux in the future.
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

in case anybody is interested:
we just released a video for another track on the same album..
and this time it's a 'proper' video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3gAhs3DQog