Escape of the Hopping Rhinos

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Here's a short piece, barely over 2 minutes, featuring a bunch of rhinoceros hopping to safety, fleeing from a certain danger.

I think they made it.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/escape- ... ing-rhinos

Comments welcomed !

Cheers.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Escape of the Hopping Rhinos

Post by Michael Willis »

This one was a fun listen, although I have to admit that half of the fun was probably your thematic description. :mrgreen:
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks. I find the somewhat bouncy rhythm suitable for rhinos, for rhinos escaping since after all they wouldn't go that fast when hopping. It's a fun piece, one that feels like an open frame to which many other 'things' can be added, extending it well over 5 minutes. Maybe turning it into some kind of hopping rhino trance. That's it. Hopping Rhino Trance. :shock:

Cheers.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

jonetsu wrote:That's it. Hopping Rhino Trance. :shock:
You're on to something. Give it some more adjectives and then you're way out beyond the frontier.... something like postmodern hopping rhino trance with progressive elements. :mrgreen:
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Michael Willis wrote: You're on to something. Give it some more adjectives and then you're way out beyond the frontier.... something like postmodern hopping rhino trance with progressive elements. :mrgreen:
Aw, I'll leave that to the followers.

It'll be interesting to see, in Germany, on which side of the Rhine river it will be more popular. The good side or the bad side 8)
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

That's a great tune! I love how it evolves drastically even though still maintaining it's fun motif.

You are talented.
What type of stuff do you use to make music like that?

If you are interested, I'd be willing to do a "ProtoZone remix".
I feel like I can relate to what you are accomplishing musically.
No pressure, though. Thanks for sharing. :D
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Hi,

On that tune the bass and lead are made using Phonec2. The low whoooshes were made by cominbing a custom Zynaddsubfx patch and a sample from the Dreampads collection rendered in Redux. The continuous arp is from Rob Papen's latest synth, Go2. Some high pitch notes made using Factory. Some Unfinished Luminae Dark Zebra arp here and there. Then there are various noises and sounds from audio loops. On the percussion side the electronic drums are from Microtonic whereas the acoustic drums are from a loop. The Takamine acoustic guitar is played by yours truly. Some reverb and delay and such were added. Created in Bitwig then exported and mixed/mastered in Mixbus32C.

I'd surely be interested in a remix ! The simplest way perhaps would be to put all multitrack tracks (wav files) in a dropbox drive. It's a small session with 17 tracks. Let me know what you think.

Cheers.
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Mysterious sounds :) Very good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi0-mPswcto
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

This piece was done quickly. It started without knowing it, from a rhythm riff, and evolved quickly into what could be considered a short fun piece that might be telling some kind of story. The title comes from an exchange with Jeanette whose Zynaddsubfx original patch is in there, who suggested some kind of pursuit. For me the beat was already suggesting some kind of hopping. Although what can be hopping at such a slow speed while be the object of a pursuit ? Rhinoceros came to mind and they were escaping from something by hopping. And this went along well with the dark voices heard here and there.

At the technical level, Microtonic was used for the main rhythm. Additional drums come from a Loop Loft loop. The spacey Zynaddsubfx sounds were doubled with a sample somewhat processed in Redux. The bass as well as the lead comes from Phonec2. The sequence is from Go2. The acoustic guitar is a Takamine.

I'll skip other details as I would like to rather say something about using loops. I compare this as having a musician in a band. If a drummer is in the band, I will not tell him what to do. I will rather say come up with something, you're the drummer. I might then suggest some tones or how I see it, but the part will be the drummer's creation. Likewise, I would receive suggestions from other band members. So a loop is like a drummer. I know I'm pretty much square at making a beat. So I use beats made by people who know how to play percussion. I might tailor them, process them, but the base creation is from these 'extra' band members.

Cheers.