AquaMan!

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

protozone
Established Member

AquaMan!

Post by protozone »

FREE download: "AquaMan" (by ProtoZone) :mrgreen:

https://hearthis.at/protozone/aquaman

The file you download ought to be a 320 kbps full-length stereo MP3.

I really enjoyed the "Justice League" movie.
Movies like that always tend to give me musical ideas for moods.
lilith
Established Member

Re: AquaMan!

Post by lilith »

That's shit!

just kidding :)
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: AquaMan!

Post by jonetsu »

Pretty good on the composition/arrangement side. On the mix side, unless this is the effect wanted, it lacks a bit of space near the beginning. Sounds are too up close all together. Reverb here and there afterwards brings space, but it's rather the mix as a whole, it could perhaps have a bit more the feeling of space. The extra reverb on the 'funny' high wobble sounds seems to be there to compensate. But then, that piece is not too deep either.

Cheers.
protozone
Established Member

Aquaman

Post by protozone »

Haha, Lilith, you got me :lol:

Jonetsu, thanks for the comments.
I appreciate your keen ears. It is very difficult for me to mix.
One of these days I will post up a photo of what my bedroom studio looks like.
You would be surprised at how low-tech I am working.

The other regular snafu I have is that it takes a lot of mental energy to come up with melody and harmony ideas that are not nullified by bad sound choices. As I am still getting to know my plugins and where and how their better sounds can be made, it's really hard to mix and compose at the same time or even during the same week or month. Also, since my screen is not so large, I can't see all the tracks I'm mixing very well, so eventually I get fed up with mixing and end up ditching all the tracks and just working with submixes/groups without any too many multitracks. The upside of that is that it prevents me from getting burnt out hearing the same tune hundreds of times while I overdub and edit and try out different effects and stuff.

As for reverb, I don't like it much. And too many of my synths come defaulting to way too much reverb and delay. So usually I have to turn the effects off to find out how the sound really is so I can sculpt it and then add more effects back in later.

The best effects I get come from rendering to audio and then dicing up the audio or crossfading between different types of sounds. It might seem like reverb or delay or something else, but usually it's just raw editing combined with how I played the sounds. I am only just slowly getting into automation and controllerism.

I did actually intend for the beginning to be less spacious. I wanted it to seem really simplistic and almost boring at first, but then to sort of burst into greater space. It's slightly an ode to some old industrial EBM music I used to listen to which wasn't usually very high tech, but conveyed a sense of preparing or fighting (or dancing :mrgreen: ).

I don't have a fancy set of tools. I'm using almost all freeware. And some of my plugins are just demos. So by the time I just get into a sound to use and edit and change-up, usually the demo quits or mutes out. I am still in the process of working around that since I can't afford to pay for every demo that I like. Just last night I decided to delete a lot of them so that I can just work instead.

That's the explanation in full. I hope it demystifies my process somewhat. Peace and thanks for listening.