Fog

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Fog

Post by jonetsu »

Hello,

This time around, in sharp contrast with the previous "Summer Theme", is a rather spacey piece, with long pad flights, some thump-thump kick drum in the distance, some high hat also in the distance, some voices, a synth that does some kind of a solo of some sort, a beat that comes and goes, all in all some kind of fog that covers through which some things are heard.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/fog

Cheers.
psyocean
Established Member

Re: Fog

Post by psyocean »

My nerves calmed down, I was appeased :) Healing music! :wink:
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I forgot to add "Free Download" ! :mrgreen:
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I normally find your work too 'left field' for me, but this I like. Very enjoyable.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

An interesting piece! And on a personal level I like it very much. The sounds are all interesting in their specificities and their "foggy" intrications add up to the pleasure.
Quite uncommonly for my usual behavior I already listened to it two times yesterday and thrice today, it certainly means something and that's too bad for you that I'm not a producer or financial est. looking for bands to promote :D
Anyway, I'll share your soundcloud URL with some friends which can't be bad ;-)
On the sound pressure/pleasure/techniques side the things I enjoyed are especially this mix between overall peace (probably the bass rumble) / menace (the medium drones) / aggressivity (some hi-med h-freq solo sounds, which comes close to the titillating level and then suddenly disappear or transmute leaving only the feeling that now our ears miss them). All of these are well balanced and dosed (to my ears at least).
As for the influences, I found some relative filiation with some "Amon Duul II" excerpts and "Pierre Henry" ("Ceremony" period), though I guess those are now quite forgotten references :D) this is supposed to be read as a compliment!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks for the comments ! Especially on the balance of timbres across the frequencies. To read about it is a bit something special because when it happens, when the piece is created and worked on, it is not a totally conscious process. By that I mean I add instruments, notes, harmonies, atmospheres in one session, then come back to it later, maybe several days later, add more components, browse through audio loops, somehow find some I like, arrange them, add them and continue like that for some time until again somehow there's a decision appearing that the piece is done. I still do not fully know why and how this happens. Then it goes to mixing in which other audio events are happening which eventually results in a piece that's posted on soundcloud.

So it's nice to read about an actual description as the whole creation process is not so clear, as in a fog.

The existence of that piece might have something to do with the expression of this 'subconscious' process in which things are taking shape as they distance themselves from a fog, from an haziness, to be brought into focus then to disappear back, blended into some kind of maelstrom. It could be that this piece somehow illustrate in audio this happening.

With other pieces, much more focused, upbeat and 'material' the presence of this fogginess is totally gone although a question would be: does a straight 4/4 disco piece or a classical piano lullaby or a folk song or a heavy metal piece also comes from such a unfocused fog ? :)

Cheers.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

With the philosophical rambling I forgot to mention anything about the influences you mentioned.

Amon Düül II I'm not so sure although I would say textures from 'Wolf City' maybe. The female voice in "Fog" might sound a bit like Renate's. Maybe some other textures from "Carnival in Babylon", maybe "Yeti". As for Pierre Henry I do not know enough of his material to say anything.

Anyways, thanks for the comment - much appreciated.

Cheers.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »