Free Downloads by ProtoZone: Yay Flashy Mix!

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

protozone
Established Member

Free Downloads by ProtoZone: Yay Flashy Mix!

Post by protozone »

"No F In Dodge (Extremix)" by ProtoZone
https://hearthis.at/protozone/nofindodgeextremix/

"NeuVolition" (Yay Flashy Mix) by ProtoZone
https://hearthis.at/protozone/neuvolitionyayflashymix/

I finally got back into some serious composing again!
These are the first two tunes after having gotten out of the hospital and rebuilding my DAW and relocating.
I'm still in the process of rebuilding my DAW, but at least now I can make some tunes. These are my efforts
to put myself back onto the musical map (to sound good!).

You are welcome to download them. In fact, you are encouraged to download them if you like them.
They won't last forever online. But if you have a copy, you can play them anytime.

Thanks very much. :mrgreen:
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Free Downloads by ProtoZone: Yay Flashy Mix!

Post by bluebell »

protozone wrote:"No F In Dodge (Extremix)" by ProtoZone
https://hearthis.at/protozone/nofindodgeextremix/
I like it. Cool sounds. How did you make the sawtooth sound with portamento at 0:45 an 0:53?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

I like it. Cool sounds. How did you make the sawtooth sound with portamento at 0:45 an 0:53?
I think it was just a sawtooth pad made in Vember Surge that had a tiny bit of feedbacked delay on it. I held down a note and pitch bent it manually to the beat. I don't remember which pitchbend interval it was, but probably +2 or +3 (halfsteps). Surge is really good for those types of sounds. It's payware, but It's always worked via Wine for me after I archived the original install after I payed and activated it. Vember also makes ShortCircuit (freeware).

Lately when I compose stuff, I will create a melody and a few weak harmonies, and leave big gaps. Then, later, I will fill in the gaps and strengthen the harmonies by using completely different instrument sounds. It helps to diversify the tunes while still accomplishing melody and harmony. And it speeds up the process of adding other layers and making the tune structure sound more ever-changing.

I'm glad you liked it. I really appreciate that you took the time to listen.
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

42low wrote:They sound good. Clear sounds which i like.
Well done.
Aw, man! Thanks! That is such a great compliment. I really appreciate that!
I work hard to get clear sound. It's a big priority for me. And I don't even have pro monitors.
This is a good sign if I'm getting decent mixes from really wimpy monitors (logitech computer speakers :lol: ).

I will work even harder next time on my newer tracks. I aim to please.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

protozone wrote:
42low wrote:They sound good. Clear sounds which i like.
Well done.
Aw, man! Thanks! That is such a great compliment. I really appreciate that!
I work hard to get clear sound. It's a big priority for me. And I don't even have pro monitors.
This is a good sign if I'm getting decent mixes from really wimpy monitors (logitech computer speakers :lol: ).

I will work even harder next time on my newer tracks. I aim to please.
The production sounds very good to me :shock: What kind of Logitech Speakers do you use? Also I like the tunes very much!
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

42low wrote:Perhaps it's not withing your goal. But may i suggest something non-committal?

I think it would compliment (complete?) your work if something not electronic is put over it. Like a real instrument (some guitar riffs?). Or even better, vocals. Even if it's something not sung but simple short sampled lines. It will break the "pure electronics" and pull it into .... yeah, into what actually!? :mrgreen: Into more regular music? Wider style?
Your music IMHO is highly suitable for it and you would reach a bigger audience.

Perhaps total electronic music is your goal, and if so i didn't say anything. It already is great music.
Thanks for the suggestion and for listening. What you are talking about is very appealing, but alas, I don't have the equipment yet to be able to do that. Also, I work alone because in the past collaborations were frustrating because of creative and technical differences. But I will see if I can try and get more of that type of feel that you are talking about.

I certainly have done that a bit in the past with my older tunes: https://hearthis.at/grabbit
Thanks
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

lilith wrote:The production sounds very good to me :shock: What kind of Logitech Speakers do you use? Also I like the tunes very much!
Thanks very much! Sorry it took me a while to get back. I had to go home and check what the speakers are: Logitech Z200's :lol:

They are tiny and yet they sound really clear. They were on discount from OfficeDepot for about 24 dollars. Sadly, they actually sound better than my previous USB monitors from Alesis. There's not as much bass, but oh well.

They look like this:

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

What Alesis did you have? I hardly can believe that the Logitech sound more neutral ... never!

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on room treatment I would go for some ~300 € (pair) speakers.
KRK, Yamaha (e.g. H5), Presonus Eris or JBL 305. Especially the JBL are EXTREMELY GOOD for the money.
All of them are light years better than the Logitech (the Logitech you can keep for cross checking though).
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

Honestly, guys.... I used the Alesis 320 USB monitor / interface for several years.
The ports were too boomy so I would stuff thick socks into them to make the loudspeaker enclosure compliance better.
That worked, but then the bass wasn't as strong. But the whole time, the treble was not very clear either.

The Logitechs, while not using USB, are actually clearer probably for 3 reasons:

1) Not ported enclosures. I had a loudspeaker design class in college; they taught us that tuned ports add bass but at the cost of non-linear frequency response. They add a "hump" peak at a specific frequency, not a shelving eq boost.

2) They are so lightweight and have good parts. Since their mass is smaller, they are slightly more like tweeters and thus probably reproduce treble better. Yet since there are two speakers per side, probably wired in parallel, the resulting impedance probably allows slightly more bass. These do not use a subwoofer, so there's no risk of all the bass being pumped to a huge tuned port and mixed to mono... I hate those.

3) While the Alesis's used USB to directly send the audio, I have read that since about 2009, a lot of computer's have been building in higher quality 24-bit 96 kHz DAC/ADC's into their motherboards! I think this threshold has been crossed already for my computer; the built-in output quality seems just fine. I first learned this when I had trouble with the Alesis's and needed to use analog temporarily. I had some high-quality headphones and the music sounded fine. And on these Logitech's, the music sounds fine too. Surprisingly, on well-mixed tunes, even if there's a lot of bass, they don't clip.

So they are only 10 Watt speakers, but it doesn't matter because I don't need to play at high volumes.

Anyways, if you guys liked the tunes, just remember, most were made on the Alesis 320 USB's, yet the recent tunes were made on the Logitech Z200's, and I'm still making more without much issues. I will still be using a set of AKG 240 studio headphones.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I owned the Alesis 320 USB before my current speakers. They sounded extremely boxy at around 120 Hz but as I realized later this was not the speaker. It was a room resonance I have at 120 Hz... so the speakers were absolutely fine. Can it be that you activated a room mode with the Alesis which you don't active with the Logitech (as they don't have enough power)?
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

It's probably both things that you both say + the stuff I said too.
I'm in a totally different room these days with a different shape and size, and while I did like the Alesis's, these do seem better to my ears for whatever reason. I'm not saying they are better speakers than the other brand, just that they are easier for me to use in this instance. I don't think it's about power though, I think they are more suited to mids and highs while the Alesis's are slightly better for lows (but not very low with only a 3.5" driver) possibly at the cost of less clear highs.

Anyways, this discussion is for another thread.

I'm just glad if y'all like my music. That's the only reason I have them anyhow :mrgreen:
Thanks again for listening.