Gospel / Jazz / Pop - Collaboration

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

singforme
Established Member

Gospel / Jazz / Pop - Collaboration

Post by singforme »

Most of the recordings done in Mixbus 3 on AV-Linux. All mixing in Mixbus. The mastering engineer used FL Studio though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGHLwfMLEJM
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Gospel / Jazz / Pop - Collaboration

Post by jonetsu »

The production is very good for a pop format. Guitar chords are a tad innovative here and there. The vocals are very good. The dynamics are well balanced and well driven. If no Windows/Mac machine were involved, goes to show what can be done professional-sounding in Linux. Can you say something about the software used ?

Cheers.
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Thank you Jonetsu. I don't think there's anything you can't do in Linux sound-wise, it's probably just missing some convenience features like automated drum tightening and advanced vocal tuning. I'm using calf plugins a lot, I really dig the guitarix plugins that model fender amps, guitars were recorded direct and most of them have gone through one of those (gx vibro-chump!). For the spring-reverb I tried tap-reverberator, which worked just fine. Also lots of calf vintage delay...
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Great production! Very well mixed and love the vocals and that warm electric piano!
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Very nice! I don't get the gospel reference but it doesn't matter. :)

I'm kind of sensitive to drums and their sound in the mix, a fault of mine that I've nurtured of the years.
In this song, very mellow, smooth, I would have lowered the snare a bit and/or tried to make it softer, it kind of sticks out.

Overall very enjoyable.
MusE DAW
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

"Warmth" That's what I was trying to think of as soon as this opened. Good song. Very enjoyable smooth performance.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

GMaq wrote:Hi,
Great production! Very well mixed and love the vocals and that warm electric piano!
Thank you Glen, much appreciated. Katrin (Painted on Silent Blue) is just awesome and for warmth - mda ePiano never fails to deliver;)
spamatica wrote:Very nice! I don't get the gospel reference but it doesn't matter. :)
I'm kind of sensitive to drums and their sound in the mix, a fault of mine that I've nurtured of the years.
In this song, very mellow, smooth, I would have lowered the snare a bit and/or tried to make it softer, it kind of sticks out.
Overall very enjoyable.
Thank you Spamatica, Gospel reference is heavily inspired by this insanely good track of Josh Garrels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6GVY3MDcSc
I think I could've lowered the drums a bit on the whole. Balancing drums is really not my most favourite part of mixing :D
folderol wrote:"Warmth" That's what I was trying to think of as soon as this opened. Good song. Very enjoyable smooth performance.
Thanks a lot Folderol!
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Pleasant music, cute song! :)

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

singforme wrote: I think I could've lowered the drums a bit on the whole. Balancing drums is really not my most favourite part of mixing :D
Listened to it some more and came the realization that indeed it might not be so much the snare, as I claimed. It's that the drums simply are a bit too loud.
Still a very good song!
MusE DAW
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

@psyocean
Thanks, yeah, chello's always great...

@spamatica
I used very nice stereo-drumloops and usually if they're done well there shouldn't be a lot of imbalance between the different drums in the kit.