Yoshimi plays Widor

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

Yoshimi plays Widor

Post by folderol »

Well, new, but not quite original (where else could I put this?)
We have a new youtube video of Yoshimi playing Widor's Toccata from a MIDI file. This originally came from a public domain library, but I know the piece pretty well and there were several errors in it. I edited this to get it as correct as I could, then added CCs to the front of the file to do the bank switching, program changes, and volume/panning levels (didn't quite get the pedal level right). The recording was made with Simple Screen recorder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcImV6NPP-c
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
kbongosmusic
Established Member

Re: Yoshimi plays Widor

Post by kbongosmusic »

:D
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Glad folks are enjoying this.
I first heard it played by a family friend who was a professional organist. He recommended I get the LP by Jane Parker-Smith playing it. I've heard lots of other versions since, but most people seem to regard it as a race, or otherwise screw about with it. Jane played it straight in a style very similar to this MIDI file, so I had a pretty good idea how it should sound.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
kbongosmusic
Established Member

Post by kbongosmusic »

I hadn't heard of Widor, but definitely that piece is Bach inspired, nice. And Yosh does a fantastic job of sounding like a real pipe organ. I listened to the same piece on youtube of some real cathedral pipe organs, and Yosh does compete nicely. These big old pipe organs are really fascinating, they look like something out of an old sci-fi movie. Makes me want to get down to our St. Paul cathedral for a listen. Funner yet would be able to play the actual thing in a cathedral. And I thought my old upright piano was an ancient monster. Glad to have Yosh to play with. One of the videos described how these old cathedral pipe organ had some crummy tuning. That's a plus for the new digital realm, the who tuning thing. And we got Will to clean the Yosh pipes ;)