Die Frau im Mond

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bluebell
Established Member

Die Frau im Mond

Post by bluebell »

With my guitarist friend from olde times: a song about the very old game. A man who's acting very cool (at least he's believing) to convince a woman that she will want him.

With a little breeze from the medieval times:

https://www.myownmusic.de/suedwestlicht ... gid=428401

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

mclstr
Established Member

Re: Die Frau im Mond

Post by mclstr »

Great song and great production.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

42low wrote:What a great song!!! Cool! Compliments! :mrgreen:

Some positive meant critic.
For the tune which started at 11 sec i would have chosen another sound. For me this sound is a bit anoying cause to my honest oppinion it doens't fit between the rest of the song, and i think that's a pity.
But this quite well could be something personally.
Thanks for your feedback. I really wanted this sound and in the interlude I tried to set up some medieval feeling. I know that not everyone likes sounds like a (in this song used) schalmei or bagpipe. If it doesn't kill you it makes you harder :mrgreen:

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

bluebell wrote: Thanks for your feedback. I really wanted this sound and in the interlude I tried to set up some medieval feeling. I know that not everyone likes sounds like a (in this song used) schalmei or bagpipe. If it doesn't kill you it makes you harder :mrgreen:
Ach, maybe some Extremo in there ? Not too much, but some. Break the sequenced feel a bit. Make it jump out of the speakers a bit.

I'm saying this tongue-in-cheek :o , but still. Nice song, though.

For people who do not know Extremo:

In Extremo - Liam (Live)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi bluebell,

Really great, as usual excellent production and mixing. Everything instrumentally is spot-on. I'm usually not a fan of such over-produced 80's drums but they fit this arrangement so well and I actually really like how the kick drum locks so tightly and merges together sonically will the bass, together they sound like one instrument.

You never fail to impress and this one is no exception, keep 'em comin! :D
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

GMaq wrote:I'm usually not a fan of such over-produced 80's drums
I broke their clean sound a bit with some medieval small drums playing the same pattern. So each 80's tom was doubled by a medieval drum (that would sound like an empty pizza box when played alone).

I made some dirty things with the vocals that ruined the s and sh sounds. I'll fix that in the next days. Oh and I made a wrong routing of the medieval drums directly to Master which makes them come "too early" 8)

In Qtractor, it's important that each track has the same number of "hops" to master out. So if you have a subgroup and route tracks to it then all other tracks have to be in another subgroup. They shouldn't be connected directly to Master, else they are a bit early because the routing of a subgroup to Master In adds one jack buffer of latency. It's hardly audible at small buffers like "-p 128' but if you have to increase the buffer size then it's audible. A good check is to start jackd with "-p 4096" and hear if the tracks are still in good sync.

gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

The genre is not my cup of tea, but hats off for the professional quality, this really raises the bar ;-)
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

German:

Großartiger Song! Produktionswerte erstaunlich. Das 'mittelalterliche' Element ist auch cool. Immerhin, eine milde kritische Note hinzugefügt: die Bilanz zwischen Gesang und Begleitung brãuchte Verbesserung, meiner Meinung nach. Die Begleitung, über's Ganze, schon ein Bißchen zu dominant, nach meiner Geschmack.

English:

Great song! Production values amazing. The 'medieval' element cool, too. Some mild criticism added nonetheless: balance between vocals and accompaniment could use improvement, in my opinion. Accompaniment a little too dominant, overall, to my taste.

Veerstryngh Thynner
forestandgarden
Established Member

Post by forestandgarden »

Great song, definitely.

Understanding the cultural background of course adds to the enjoyment, I can dig that sense of humor fairly well and also, having experienced the 90s' middle ages frenzy, can rather not get enough of schalmeien and sackpfeifen myself.

Even without culural reference, the intermezzo adds to the song functionally. What you say about some mistake with the 's' sounds maybe explains what I do perceive: a little problem with the audibility of the female voice. It starts ok, but each 2nd repitition of her chorus sounds mumbled or not loud enough, particularly where the melody goes down, if you don't notice what's going on you might even think the guitar is too loud. Which I think it isn't, but (other story) at least on my system, the hard panning of the dist guitar takes me some getting used to when it happens, in the chorus there is a sort of good general fatness that makes everything balance, the clean-ish guitars are excellent, as well, and tasteful, too, but with that panned dist sound there is something happening on one side without anything equivalent on the other, makes me want to get out my fliegenklatsche somehow.

But all in all:

Thanks for the song, bluebell, it is a precious pop pearl to happily bounce along with :)
some of my stuff is ending up here https://alooshu.byethost17.com and here https://clyp.it/user/i4p5dng1 , and you can love me at https://liberapay.com/aloo_shu
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Exellent quality productions and good song - pity I can't understand the words (my problem, not yours).
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Awesome work like always, Petra & Holger! 5 stars, and all thumbs up.
more about me on my blog