Various Electronica Projects

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mclstr
Established Member

Various Electronica Projects

Post by mclstr »

This Soundcloud link contains only my electronic compositions using Linux. There are various styles and various approaches to making music. Overall the music has a retro feel.

The early compositions used mostly hardware for the sound sources, since I was used to working that way. The later compositions use almost all software for the sound sources.

The sounds were more than 90% synthesized, some using hardware and some plugins. Some sampling (no loops) and a couple live audio tracks to test audio capabilities of the software.

Hardware:
A couple of laptops, Nord Lead 2R(subtractive synth and very powerful CC MIDI controller), Korg Triton Rack(wavetable synth and sampler), M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8r(audio inputs), IConnectMIDI2(midi interface that also links two computers), Akai MPK49 and Livid Base II.

Software:
DAWs: Qtractor, Ardour, Bitwig, Renoise (Each shine in their own way)

Software: I used two plugins primarily, Zynaddsubfx and DiscoveryPro, because they can do a whole lot by themselves. I used many other plugins to a lesser extent.
I started using Bitwig over the last few months and love most of the many included plugins.

The Soundcloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-851734095
singforme
Established Member

Re: Various Electronica Projects

Post by singforme »

Sounds fastastic! Love the old school synth sounds and beats 8)
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Electronica isn't my kind of music, but I liked this. I can literally hear experience in your recordings.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
mclstr
Established Member

Post by mclstr »

Thanks AlexTheBassist,

I am a fan of your stuff.

Yes, I come from a background of jazz, rock, samba, salsa, metal, punk, industrial, hip-hop,...

I am not a fan of any particular style of music. It's just got to be unique/original for me to enjoy it.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Great stuff, thanks for sharing this.

I really like the McAllister theme as well--having that kind of western imagery in my head while listening actually adds even more character to the already solid sounds. Brilliant.
listenable at c6a7.org
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Really cool stuff! I really admire you guys doing EDM (and truly all variants of Electronic music). The limitless variety and combinations of the sounds on this stuff is really engaging. Well done, I really enjoyed 'says no' and 'trail of' :D
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

mclstr wrote:I am not a fan of any particular style of music. It's just got to be unique/original for me to enjoy it.
So am I. I have classical music background (studied tuba in a music college), rock/metal, some pop (as a session studio player) and even reggae.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
mclstr
Established Member

Post by mclstr »

Thanks all for the positive support.

I'm sure its not for everyone. I just kind of spew out what I think I'd like, following the limitations of electronica.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I've listened to a few. Quite nice. Atmospheres are established and kept. I liked what I've heard, will listen to more later. It has an organic feel that is somewhat echoed with the Western theme.

Sidenote: I do not want really to write a lot about this but... I didn't 'liked' the pieces because I do not know fully how Soundcloud works. My perception of the tool that Soundcloud is, is like a CD player. One hears a tune then the next one is from the same artist, and so on until the listener decides willingly to listen to something else. I feel this makes an awful lot of sense. Now if the CD player would immediately jump to a tune from another artist, and then to another one then the experience is not the same. One can like the 5th tune but then it has nothing to do with the first artist at all. Well, that was my experience when I 'liked' others' tunes: Soundcloud would jump from one of my piece to somebody else I liked. Then I have to 'unlike' and explain why I did it, etc... So if you know a way of being able to 'like' others' tunes without having Soundcloud jump to them automatically, let me know.
mclstr
Established Member

Post by mclstr »

I only recently started using Soundcloud and was recently considering setting up playlists myself.

I haven't tried it yet but there is this:
http://uploadandmanage.help.soundcloud. ... es/2166978
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks for the reference. I've briefly looked at lists before, and I made one some time ago. There's also the 'spotlight' option that Dave uses. Neither will address a single link, though. Like when having a new piece and posting a link to that new piece only. Lists are cumbersome to work with as they cannot be modified if I'm not mistaken. One has to redo them from scratch. if they would be easy to add/remove to.from then a new piece could be added to the top of the list, and the link to the list posted.

Anyways, thanks for the 'likes' ! I see you liked some of the tunes I made so far. And after listening to your some of your tunes, much appreciated !