for a friend and his hobby

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ambicumber
Established Member

Re: for a friend and his hobby

Post by ambicumber »

You have some empty space in lower frequencies, you might boost them up. Try a different drum sample library, this drum sounds a bit "barren". If you are using Hydrogen, even the basic GMKit that comes with it will do fine over this, with addition of some reverb. The vocal could sound nice when delayed.
ambicumber
Established Member

Post by ambicumber »

Would you post a mixdown without the drums?
ambicumber
Established Member

Post by ambicumber »

beck wrote:
ambicumber wrote:Would you post a mixdown without the drums?
What do you mean by mixdowns without the drums if i may ask? An export without the drums track?
yes
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

IMHO you are out on creative territory. This means you can make it sound like you like, really. You are not limited by standards at all. You can make the voice as much in the background as you'd like, the guitar as much front, as well as the drums. Alles gut. I'd say warmer drums would be welcomed. Same beat and use, but warmer sounds would bring more ... warmth.

All in all it sounds pretty good.

So since you're in creative territory you do NOT need to abide by standards. The standards are not for you. You make them.

But if you want to be technical, on the HS5 + HS8S here the bass could be a bit more present. Along with the warmer drums, it could bring some roundness. The voice is all right (apart from the yeah at the beginning maybe) because it is the character.

Basically if you make an EP like this you are making a statement. That's as simple as that.

Übrigens ! That's my tune playing right after "Metal Detecting Rock" !! I find it segues nicely, tone-wise.

Do you know the german band Can (of the 70s) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-GGVv_1ZSM

Prosit ! :D
kbongosmusic
Established Member

Post by kbongosmusic »

I thought it was great, in a rock and roll 'I want to be sedated' sort of way.
Maybe the drummer sounded a bit too robotic, but that's probably because he was. :D
A verse without the singing in the middle perhaps? More lead guitar maybe :wink:
kbongosmusic
Established Member

Post by kbongosmusic »

Yes I did like the solo guitar and lead guitar at the end. Simple, but effective, nice tone.
Liked the warble from the floyd rose tremolo bridge that I suspect you have.
Did you use computer for guitar fuzz effects or did you use external amp/gadgets?
Don't worry too much about technical aspects. There will always be many that are better
technically at anything you do. Everyone has there own personality, and that is what shines brightest.
The touch-tone sorta intro and end a bit bizarre, but I like bizarre.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

beck wrote:Btw. Mastering is the part i mostly have to learn, as you can hear. And this will take lot's of time cause this is the most new part for me. :oops:
It's not that easy nor straightforward to try to get the max of amplitude of a the mix without sounding distorted. If that's a goal, of course. I still have a lot to learn on this.

Another possible concern is to be able to be played on many types of systems. Some systems might not get good bass response, so there should be a transient of the kick drum or bass attack that can be found in the 400Hz-2KHz range.

There is a technique that I do not know at the moment that works much like vision: we can see the front part of a car behind a building and the mind will build the rest of the car even thouhg it is not seen. Same with bass. There is a way to have the listener's brain reaction to participate in making up for bass when there are not much bass present. I do not know exactly how to do that yet.

I think that mastering has to go with a good set of meters. Which ones would be chosen ? K-14, K10 ? Mixbus(commercial version fo Ardour) comes with K-14 on the master buss. The export analysis by Ardour is a good tool to see technically what's going on. Is normalizing at -1dB all right ?

A good way to go about this would be to load commercial music of the same style in the DAW and see what's going on, and compare quickly with our own tracks. I should do it more often.
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Good brave song!
But. Need vocalist with charismatic voice, imho.
Overall, well done! \m/
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

I can't tell you how hard this got stuck in my head!

I might be the only one, but I really *liked* the singing and the general chaos of it, it has a lot of character. This is the sort of thing I would put on a mix tape for a friend as a fun, obscure track.
listenable at c6a7.org
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

This isn't quite the kind of music that I normally listen to, but I must admit that I found myself humming it today, then wondering for a split second "What song is that? Oh yeah, it's that metal detecting one!"

I haven't listened to the latest draft, as I forgot to bring my headphones today, but I must say that the original was strangely catchy.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

beck wrote: Did a quick Ardour4 try-out remastering on this song to practise a little.
As a non-audiophile, after listening to both, I like the original better. It seems to have more stage presence, the remastered one seems to lack depth.
noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

I also like the original one better. Everything just fits nicer.

When I first heard the song I wasn't sure what to think, but it really grew on me to the point where I have to listen to it every few days.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

It's pretty nice, that is really catchy! Vocalist is maybe not best, but I don't think I could do it better.
It's kind of that vocalist should be bit better or more worse, since mediocrity is only way to lose. :-)

For mixing, sound is too much mid-only, no basses and no treble, sound is like coming from small can.
But anyway, great that you did this, keep going!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

42low wrote:Done a minimal remastering on this one.
Played some with the tempo to get some more activity.
Now mix is much better. For my taste, hi-hat is too high volume, bit down.

Edit: and yeah, I got ear worm, my head plays it. It is catchy!

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

You were linked in Finnish metal detector forum by my friend to whom I gave link to this.

http://www.aarremaanalla.com/foorumi/vi ... 47#p173445