New 5-track EP called Lost Time

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

zth
Established Member

New 5-track EP called Lost Time

Post by zth »

Hey everyone!

It has been a while since I've finished and published new music. But, as LAC is rapidly approaching, and I'd really love to spend whatever inspiration I gather there making brand new stuff, I decided to pull my act together and finish a 5-track EP I've been working on for a while. The EP features community celebrity Glen MacArthur, and in contrast to my previous releases has vocals in various forms on more than half of the tracks.

You'll find the EP in various formats at: http://www.zthmusic.com/lost-time/ , or you can visit Soundcloud directly at: https://soundcloud.com/zthmusic/sets/lost-time-ep

The music is, as usual, completely recorded, mixed and mastered with Ardour 3. I'm also going to write a more exhaustive post about the technicalities involved in making the EP in a few days. Keep an eye out for that on my blog, if you're interested :).

Please let me know what you think! I really hope you like it! :)
ssj71
Established Member

Re: New 5-track EP called Lost Time

Post by ssj71 »

Sounds great! I like the addition of vocals to your music very much. Let me know if you ever want me to sing a part for you! :)

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the saturation on the female vocals in the first track, they seem like they should be clear and pristine. But overall the EPs very nice.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

Nice production. Cool sounds.
Jesse
Established Member

Post by Jesse »

Very clean sounding production! I enjoyed listening. I'll have to bookmark to download.

I think "Time will Tell" was my favorite. I like the dirty bass synth pitted against the orchestra sounds. I also enjoyed hearing you pull in outside collaborators.

Great work!
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

ssj71: Thank you very much! I might just take you up on that offer when I get around to doing new stuff. Thanks! :)

aprzekaz: Thank you too, I'm very glad you enjoyed it!

Jesse: Thanks :D Interesting that you found that one to be your favorite, it was probably the one I was most unsure about myself.

Thanks for your comments, makes me really happy! :)
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

Wow, you set a high standard here ! :shock:

I second the other comments, this is high quality production in every aspects : riffs that catches the listener interest, pro sound quality, very well balanced mix and carefully crafted tracks structures. 8)

That sounds new, that sounds even better than your previous production, and it has your very own trademark. I mean after only just some seconds of listening of each tracks that immediately sound zth-ish (in a good way!) :D

I'm curious about the workflow around outside collaborators, how did you bring them in, how did you work with them ?
So yes I am very interested in the making of the EP, so I'll keep an eye on your blog. :wink:

Thank you for sharing and for being such an inspiring fellow LinuxMusician ! :mrgreen:
Cheers.
| DoosC |
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

DoosC wrote:Wow, you set a high standard here ! :shock:

I second the other comments, this is high quality production in every aspects : riffs that catches the listener interest, pro sound quality, very well balanced mix and carefully crafted tracks structures. 8)

That sounds new, that sounds even better than your previous production, and it has your very own trademark. I mean after only just some seconds of listening of each tracks that immediately sound zth-ish (in a good way!) :D

I'm curious about the workflow around outside collaborators, how did you bring them in, how did you work with them ?
So yes I am very interested in the making of the EP, so I'll keep an eye on your blog. :wink:

Thank you for sharing and for being such an inspiring fellow LinuxMusician ! :mrgreen:
Cheers.
DoosC, thanks a ton for your comment, I always really enjoy hearing what you have to say! :D I'm very glad that I'm able to convey some sort of own "sound" in the compositions as well, thanks for saying and noticing that!

I really look forward to writing the post on the making of the EP! I think I'll have the first post out early next week, or at least that's my goal. I'll try and cover everything from the creative process and working with collaborators, to the technical aspects of creating the songs. Thanks for your interest :D

Thanks again for your comment!
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

The sound is very pleasing overall, clean and warm. This is high quality music.

Some thoughts:

- Through The Wormhole: distortion on voices always irritates me
- Time Will Tell: my favourite, feels like a continuation of Through The Wormhole
- Bye Fring is - at least in the first half - some kind of healing music. It helps against noise and speed in our daily life. Maybe you could make an "even more healing version" without bass drum and distorted guitar in the second half.

I enjoyed listening very much.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

bluebell wrote:The sound is very pleasing overall, clean and warm. This is high quality music.

Some thoughts:

- Through The Wormhole: distortion on voices always irritates me
- Time Will Tell: my favourite, feels like a continuation of Through The Wormhole
- Bye Fring is - at least in the first half - some kind of healing music. It helps against noise and speed in our daily life. Maybe you could make an "even more healing version" without bass drum and distorted guitar in the second half.

I enjoyed listening very much.
bluebell, thank you very much for your comment :D I'm currently in the midst of getting my studio properly set up at my new place, but as soon as I do, I'll make sure to see if I can create a version that's just acoustic all the way through. I think I'll record a lot more acoustic guitar overall now, as I start recording again. Thanks a ton again for your comment!

On another note: I mentioned I'll do a series of blog posts on the making of the EP. I just published the first post covering the first track on the EP, Through the Wormhole. For those of you interested, you'll find the post here: http://www.zthmusic.com/making-wormhole/

Cheers!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Great stuff zth - very professional sounding production as usual! I look forward to reading your 'making of' articles.

What did GMaq do on 'Fool Me'?

Thanks!
N i n U
Established Member

Post by N i n U »

Congratulations zth!
Very cool work with lots of nice ideas!
Thanks also for sharing all your knowledge and your articles on your blog.
I would like to do pretty much the same thing reporting all the "behind the scenes" for the EP i produced with my band.

Cheers!
Debian Buster + KXStudio
Notebook: HP pavilion G6 1268-sl
Sound Card : umc404hd
Outboard : Joe Meek 3Q