Connecting a synth to my laptop ?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TDNE
Established Member

Re: Connecting a synth to my laptop ?

Post by TDNE »

Sorry forgot:
Tried f5 & f6 with gnome alsa mixer open. f5 does nothing f6 mutes master vol & speaker.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Sad. As I said, with MIDI you don't have to or can't set anything on the MIDI-Audio interface or in alsamixer, only optional with Audio.
It may be that the MIDI-Audio interface is only available with a certain USB port - often different USB-1, -2, -3, ... works. You have to test it. If it is not possible at all and at another computer also not then I suspect there which is defective.

Or is MIDI generally not supported by the device? I thought it would work because it is listed on different HPs.

Insert image:
A) Attachments (very little KB possible)
B) For example https://imagebin.ca/ and insert the link with the [img ][/img ] tags here.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

TDNE wrote: output of - cat /proc/asound/cards - is:

Code: Select all

0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0x90a10000 irq 94
Output of - alsamixer -c 1 - is:

invalid card index: 1
try `alsamixer --help' for more information
This command line output speaks v.o.l.u.m.e.s. Your USB card is not detected, only the on-board audio card from your laptop! I don't know what the problem exactly is (power issue?) but it's hardware related (not software).

Good luck solving the problem!

P.S. Thinking of buying another cheap audio interface that works w/ Linux? You might try the Behringer UM2 (only 31 Euro). It does not need drivers for MacOS so it's probably class compliant (i.e. Linux compatible). Or the Behringer UMC22 (38 Euro) or the UMC202 (65 Euro).
TDNE
Established Member

Post by TDNE »

Thanks for the bad news. Bum bum & double bum ! The one time I do proper homework & go for the 'popular' option & it bit's me. I've still to try my other laptop so fingers crossed eh?

Unfortunately those Behringer units you mentioned don't seam to have any DIN sockets.
Or is MIDI generally not supported by the device? I thought it would work because it is listed on different HPs
How can I find out if my laptop does/n't support MIDI ?
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Do any USB devices work on this laptop? The evidence that your tascam interface works is that the previous owner had it working.

What does

lsusb
show?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

TDNE wrote:How can I find out if my laptop does/n't support MIDI ?
Send an e-mail to https://alsa-project.org/wiki/Matrix:Vendor-Tascam >> https://alsa-project.org/wiki/Mailing-lists and ask there. Best is to ask the question with as much information as you have at the moment.
50/50 %

<EDIT>Or you can find very good help here. It might take a moment. That's exactly what this forum is for and we are very nice and helpful people.</EDIT>
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
TDNE
Established Member

Post by TDNE »

khz - I'll give them a try. thanks.

lsusb gives:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b40e Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd HP Truevision HD camera
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 072: ID 1bcf:0005 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I'm pretty sure all 3 work just fine I've had it a couple of years now. I always use a wired optical mouse. I've connected 2 different cameras, printer memory sticks & all without issues. i've tried the tascam on all of them.

As you say the previous owner had it running with audio (jack plug connections) & windows XP so it doesn't look like that's the problem. Is it possible I'm just lacking drivers? But linuxmusicain is certain my laptop isn't even seeing the device.

Just to make sure I'm not doing things squiffy here.

I have been connecting the synth to the tascam with both MIDI cables - in to out & vice versa - then connecting the tascam to my laptop with USB cable. At that point should see any lights displayed on the tascam ? I have also tried that with Gnome alsamixer already open & opened after connecting & got nothing. I can't remember if the synth was on or off before or after connection & running alsamixer. Would this make any difference? Do I need something like Ardour open as well as/instead of alsamixer?

I have tried connecting just the tascam to my laptop with USB cable & gnome alsamixer running before & after connection. Same story.

I've ordered one of those cheap MIDI to USB cables linuxmusicain mentioned right at the start of this thread to see if that works.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

To troubleshoot this I would start by connecting only the USB cable.

Use lsusb to see if it appears, or if the lights come on. Even if you don't have the right ALSA drivers the interface should appear on lsusb. You don't need any software mixers to test if it appears on the USB bus.

Although you said you've tried two, are you sure about the cable?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

It's not your computer or the USB ports.
There are only different USB ports https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB, that's why I mentioned it. The Tascam US-122 is a USB 1.1 according http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... g-hardware.

Does the audio work with the Tascam?

Forget asamixer, this is only important for audio and only if it is a more complex ~more expensive audio-MIDI interface with many functions that can be set via ALSA.
MIDI works - normally simple. It is recognized and you can use it. Exception would be if the audio-MIDI interface needed an extra driver, but this is very rare because class compliant - thanks to Apple ;-) - without installing a driver - are widespread.

Was the Tascam connected and on at "lsusb"? That would be important before you execute the command.

You did everything right from the moment you plugged it in. Even if no device is connected to the MIDI interface, MIDI is recognized.
TDNE
Established Member

Post by TDNE »

Ok. tried a third cable taken off my printer so I know it works.

lsusb returns:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b40e Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd HP Truevision HD camera
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 073: ID 1604:8006 Tascam US-122 Audio/Midi Interface (without fw)
Bus 001 Device 072: ID 1bcf:0005 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

It showing [bold is me]. Tried both other cables & got the same result. But still no light for the USB connection on the unit with any of the three.

The bracketed 'without fw' means ?

edit,< forgot to mention. I've now tried this on my backup toshiba laptop, somewhat older & much lower spec - also has Linux lite same distro (i think). got same lack of response. Far fewer aps on that one no LMMS or Ardour but still no lights on the tascam. Didn't know about lsusb at that point. >edit
TDNE
Established Member

Post by TDNE »

The Tascam US-122 is a USB 1.1
Also confirms this in the user PDF manual I downloaded. I'd read in one of your links this should be class compliant & need no drivers which is why went for it.

Would a jack plugged mic count as audio. I have no other electric/onic instruments.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

TDNE wrote:Ok. tried a third cable taken off my printer so I know it works.
:-D
TDNE wrote:The bracketed 'without fw' means ?
Maybe there's some useful information: alsa "without fw" https://www.google.com/search?q=alsa+%2 ... t+fw%22&ie >> [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Tascam US-122 howto: Alsa Firmware Link broken https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 27796.html

Note: Tascam US-122 Owner's Manual (36 pages) https://www.manualslib.com/products/Tas ... 79504.html
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I'd think 'without fw' means 'without firmware'.

is there a package alsa-firmware in your package manager?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

TDNE wrote:Would a jack plugged mic count as audio. I have no other electric/onic instruments.
Yes.
merlyn wrote:alsa-firmware
That sounds good. Install alsa-firmware or asa-firmware-loaders or as your package manager calls it in your distribution.
Now make music and have fun with it. :-)
TDNE
Established Member

Post by TDNE »

Thanks for more bad news .

I installed asa-firmware-loaders but nothings changed. I went down the tunnels in the link you provided khz & think I'm screwed. Many people were having non plug & play with it 10 - 15yrs ago. there are some 'tutorials' on installing the firmware but about 1/2 of what i need to do I just don't understand. Following the links they have to the firmware sources etc. inevitably lead to 404 or this driver is obsolete etc. with plenty of jargon that's beyond me.

This looks like perhaps one that would work if someone could give it the once over to see if there are any holes or hazards ??
https://alsa.opensrc.org/Tascam_US-122

eg. of my above problems:
# open up a shell and change to root (or prepend
# sudo to all instructions) and type in your normal
# users password (or just "su -" with roots password)

sudo -i -u root

What's a shell? (command line window? -) Isn't working from root dangerous? (i know sudo makes it 'safe') - I don't normally have to input my password before entering command lines - sometimes afterwards. (it's been a while - i usually just use the package manager.)