MIDI Channels

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

angus.hendrick
Established Member

MIDI Channels

Post by angus.hendrick »

I have a MIDI controller (Axiom 61 Gen 2) that I have set up to send drum pads on MIDI channel 10 and keys on MIDI channel 1. Problem is I cannot figure out how to tell the MIDI instruments I have hooked up in Ardour5 how to respond only to a particular MIDI channel from the controller.

More specifically, Drumgizmo is listening to the keys and the drum pads. I tried messing with Ardour5's channel settings for the Drumgizmo track, but it didn't really affect anything. It appears only to affect recording and playback of MIDI messages by the channel, vice the interaction between my controller and the MIDI instrument assigned to that channel.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: MIDI Channels

Post by Michael Willis »

x42's midi plugins will help:

https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-midifilter

Try the midi filter to only allow a single channel through. Midi channel map if you want to transform it to a different channel.
angus.hendrick
Established Member

Post by angus.hendrick »

Looks perfect. Thanks!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

And to set the MIDI channel from an Ardour track to external hardware devices: viewtopic.php?p=108833#p108833.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
mianhe
Established Member

Post by mianhe »

Hi guys, I have a problem, maybe a configuration one but I'm not sure. Hope you could help me. Let me explain.

I'm trying to setup Carla in order to use it in live performance. The signal flow is the following:

Akai MPK2 Mini (Midi controler) -> Carla -> Lupppp

The signal flow inside Carla is the following:

For the pads of Akai MPK2
Midi channel filter (channel 2 ON) -> Fabla

For the keys of Akai MPK2
Midi channel filter (channel 1 ON) -> ZynAddSubFX (Rhodes effect)

At this point the configuration works fine using the PROG1 of the Akai MPK2 Mini (it is a kind of "configuration bank". Akai MPK2 Mini let you use 4 PROGs each one with its own midi configuration). So, I decided add one more synth but in order to not select it manualy with the mouse in the configurated one I tried to setup PROG2 of Akai MPK2 Mini.

The final signal flow:

PROG1
Pads: Midi channel filter (channel 2 ON) -> Fabla
Keys: Midi channel filter (channel 1 ON) -> ZynAddSubFX (Rhodes effect)

PROG2
Pads: Midi channel filter (channel 2 ON) -> Fabla
Keys: Midi channel filter (channel 3 ON) -> ZynAddSubFX (Funk synth effect)

The problem is the following. When I use PROG1 I'm still having no problems but when I switched to PROG2 only the pads are working but the keys not.

I was thinking that maybe the button combination used to switch from PROG1 to PROG2 is sending a CC or PC message that was not read correctly by Carla buuut if that were the case then the pad configuration in PROG2 does not work too but as I mentioned it woks fine, the problem is only with the keys.

I was thinking also if the problem is setting 2 different channels for the keys in spite of having switched betwteen PROGs config.

I also realized that the signal is reaching all the instruments in Carla because every time I press a pad /key there are some kind of "lights" that go on and off in Carla rack but only sounds PROG1 pads/ keys and the PROG2 pads, the PROG2 keys doesn't.

For all the instruments I used the same configuration steps. Maybe I need to do an extra step.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You might need to configure midi controller to send the type of messages you need. If you can't do that from the controller itself you can check with the config program, if there is one (I know there is one for the mpd32).
mianhe
Established Member

Post by mianhe »

sysrqer wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:32 am You might need to configure midi controller to send the type of messages you need. If you can't do that from the controller itself you can check with the config program, if there is one (I know there is one for the mpd32).
Hi! Thank you for your answer! I forget to mention it but I also did it in order to send from my midi controler the right midi channel and midi notes to the different instruments inside Carla. I use this midi editor https://github.com/PiOverFour/MPK-M2-editor

As I said, if the config of PROG2 was wrong the pads doesn't work also but the pads does, the keys are the problem. I will try to send you some screens of what I've done!
mianhe
Established Member

Post by mianhe »

Hi guys, I developed some use cases and I realized that the midi editor was doing its job correctly but ZynAddSubFX inside Carla doesn't read de channel because its own midi configuration pointed to channel one and no to the new. It is not enough to configure the channel in Carla, I needed to change it also in the midi module of all instrument (if it is available) . Fabla doesn't have a midi mudule thats why it works fine from the minute zero just by configuring th channel in Carla.

Thanks for your help!