what is xrun?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

zoco
Established Member

what is xrun?

Post by zoco »

I rarely have them so never bothered about them. Know they exist and read about them.
Bring me the probably newb question, what is an xrun exactly?
milo
Established Member

Re: what is xrun?

Post by milo »

from the Ardour Manual wrote:It is important to note that processing latency in a jackd is a matter of choice. It can be lowered within the limits imposed by the hardware (audio device, CPU and bus speed) and audio driver. Lower latencies increase the load on the system because it needs to process the audio in smaller chunks which arrive much more frequently. The lower the latency, the more likely the system will fail to meet its processing deadline and the dreaded xrun (short for buffer over- or under-run) will make its appearance more often, leaving its merry trail of clicks, pops and crackles.
(Quote taken from the Ardour Manual: http://manual.ardour.org/synchronizatio ... pensation/, which is a really informative read.)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

The name of a band ?

8)

Jack and the xruns
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

jonetsu wrote:The name of a band ?

8)

Jack and the xruns
I'm totally in. I can record piano and/or clarinet, or midi tracks.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Michael Willis wrote:
jonetsu wrote:The name of a band ?

8)

Jack and the xruns
I'm totally in. I can record piano and/or clarinet, or midi tracks.
It's important that the only reverb used in the DAW project is DragonflyReverb - but only as lv2 plugin and with at least 2 instances :mrgreen:

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

X Runner (Directors Cut)
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

There is good information in the Mixbus manual

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/ ... ge?q=xruns
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

milo wrote:
from the Ardour Manual wrote:It is important to note that processing latency in a jackd is a matter of choice. It can be lowered within the limits imposed by the hardware (audio device, CPU and bus speed) and audio driver. Lower latencies increase the load on the system because it needs to process the audio in smaller chunks which arrive much more frequently. The lower the latency, the more likely the system will fail to meet its processing deadline and the dreaded xrun (short for buffer over- or under-run) will make its appearance more often, leaving its merry trail of clicks, pops and crackles.
(Quote taken from the Ardour Manual: http://manual.ardour.org/synchronizatio ... pensation/, which is a really informative read.)
Thank you Milo. Clear explanation.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Also, sometimes xruns make a click or a pop, but much of the time they leave no audible trace.

So it's good to minimize them, but you don't need to obsess about them if you're not having trouble. Ardour and Mixbus (maybe others?) have a setting that will place a marker when an xrun occurs. This is a great "real world" way to see if you are having issues and to check for clicks.
listenable at c6a7.org
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

Thank you for the warning Ufug. I have had them, one or two each time, about three times or so myself so no problem at all. Exactly that was why i was interested in what it is and does.