ALSA input error; JACK "You have no standard location set

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: ALSA input error; JACK "You have no standard location set

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

ronogio wrote: Until now I did everything through jack (pd->media->jack) and not ALSA.
But I kinda understood that ALSA would be the best solution in order to have a proper DSP.
Alsa provides the kernel module ("driver") for your audio card. Jack is a layer on top of Alsa. So you cannot have Jack without Alsa. ;)
ronogio wrote: The problem now is quiet the same that I had above: ALSA is not working proper! Now I'll show what I mean:

Code: Select all

patch@patchbox:~ $ cat /proc/asound/modules
 1 snd_usb_audio
 2 snd_bcm2835
then

patch@patchbox:~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
 1 [USB            ]: USB-Audio - Scarlett 2i4 USB
                      Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB at usb-3f980000.usb-1.5, high speed
 2 [ALSA           ]: bcm2835_alsa - bcm2835 ALSA
                      bcm2835 ALSA
but then:

patch@patchbox:~ $ amixer -c 1
  Simple mixer control 'Internal Validity',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
The info you posted proves the opposite: Alsa IS working fine.
ronogio wrote: I dont know why it gives me only Internal Validity!
Also when I right click on the speaker in the menubar and go to USB Device Settings->Control selections->I only got Internal validity!
So that's the primary problem I think. What should I do?
Thanks again to everyone!
The problem might be that without Jack you do not have all features of your audio device. And per definition Alsa and Jack use card number 0, which is on my Raspberry Pi is the BCM2835 chip. On your Pi it's card 2 which surprises me very, very much.

Anyway what do you want to do? Do you simply want to play an MP3 musix file? Then if I were you I'd start Jack for the external USB Scarlett 2i4 audio device like so:

jackd -d alsa --device hw:1
Now you need an audio player that is "Jack-aware" like Audacious. Install it like so:

sudo apt-get install audacious
Good luck! :)
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Now you need an audio player that is "Jack-aware" like Audacious.
IIRC, you have to dig through the Audacious preferences to choose the sound system to use. It may not work with JACK out of the box, but it works well once you select that option. (Can't verify right now -- I am a Windows user at work. But at least they let me surf the Linux forums!)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
ronogio wrote:BTW: do you wat audio again in Chrome? Then kill PulseAudio like so:
Strangely enough (irony) Chrome and Firefox works well with jackd AND pulse audio straight out of the box so to speak. As well as vlc, mpv, etc, etc, etc.

Nothing to do but establish once a bridge between pulse audio and jackd. And then forget totally about it and just run any (new) audio application without any thought at all about audio configuration.

It just works. With the bridge. Look for 'jacksink' in your repo.
ronogio
Established Member

Post by ronogio »

Hey thanks to all for answers!
Linuxmusician01 wrote: The info you posted proves the opposite: Alsa IS working fine.
Unfortunally it is not! I mean, Alsa is saying to me that it does not recognise that my audio interface has got 2 inputs and 4 outputs. Infacft following that tutorials (and many others, and simple logic) this command should give me more ins and outs, instead I got this (see the playback channels: Mono!!!?.

Simple mixer control 'Internal Validity',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]

The external audio interface is the primary because I simply chose to be this on the USB settings (righ click in the speaker in the menu bar.

Anyways my primary aim is to build a complex patch on PureData that should run continuosly everyday.
The problem right now is that with just a simple patch that does not affect that much the CPU (the meters are beteween 15% and 25%)
I can hear click and pops especially if I am doing some other things. And also clicks and pops show when I just simply play the test tone on PD. This problems, in my opinion, are because ALSA is not working properly and (in my ignorant opinion) I think that jack somehow contrasts with ALSA and so I get this problems.

In any case today I'm gonna reset the pi and I hope I'll solve some problems.
Thanks to everyone.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

ronogio wrote:Hey thanks to all for answers!
Linuxmusician01 wrote: The info you posted proves the opposite: Alsa IS working fine.
Unfortunally it is not! I mean, Alsa is saying to me that it does not recognise that my audio interface has got 2 inputs and 4 outputs.
I know that USB audio interfaces and ALSA/Jack are very, very confusing. For example: I have a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD USB audio-interface. ALSA loads that (generic) USB driver that is loaded for your audio device too. When I start alamixer (just like you do) it can NOT find all the in- and outputs (exactly like your problem). When I use Jack, however, it does. Strange isn't it? That's why I know that Alsa is working fine and the "driver" (read: kernel module) is loaded just fine. You are desperately trying to use Alsa to get proper in- and output from this device and that is never, ever gonna work unfortunately.
ronogio wrote: Infacft following that tutorials (and many others, and simple logic) this command should give me more ins and outs, instead I got this (see the playback channels: Mono!!!?.

No it won't because amixer is ALsa too. Doesn't work for my USB audio device either. You have to use Jack.
ronogio wrote: In any case today I'm gonna reset the pi and I hope I'll solve some problems.
No real need for that. You simply have to use Jack and things will be fine. How one can use Jack in Pure Data I don't know, but somebody else here is bound to know. If I were you I'd convince myself first that there is nothing wrong with Alsa.

Good luck :)