Post Clarification Request

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post Clarification Request

Post by Audiojunkie »

Hi everyone,

Could some knowledgeable people weigh in on what should and should not be posted to "Linux Music News -
Discuss anything new and newsworthy!"? It appears that there are some unwritten/understood rules regarding what should or should not be posted there. For example, I get the idea that commercial items are not appropriate there (but I could be wrong). I'm just wanting to make sure I'm posting in the right places. :-)

This is the thread that led to this question:

viewtopic.php?p=105276#p105276

Thanks!

--Sean
raboof
Established Member

Re: Post Clarification Request

Post by raboof »

Audiojunkie wrote:Could some knowledgeable people weigh in on what should and should not be posted to "Linux Music News -
Discuss anything new and newsworthy!"? It appears that there are some unwritten/understood rules regarding what should or should not be posted there. For example, I get the idea that commercial items are not appropriate there (but I could be wrong). I'm just wanting to make sure I'm posting in the right places. :-)
First of all, I'd like to clarify I don't think you did anything 'wrong' by posting this entry in 'news'.

As mentioned in the topic, I'd say either 'Linux Music News', 'Plugins, Effects and Instruments' or 'Marketplace' would have been acceptable places for this topic. Since 'Plugins, Effects and Instruments' is a little more specific, I figured it would be an improvement to move it there - even though I don't think it was "wrong" to post it under "news".

As for deciding between "Plugins, Effects and Instruments" and "Marketplace": it is not forbidden to discuss commercial items outside of "marketplace", but if it's really 'advertisements' they should go into "Marketplace".

I think it is almost always the case that there is a more specific subforum rather than "news". What would you all think about removing the "news" subforum entirely?
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

raboof wrote:I think it is almost always the case that there is a more specific subforum rather than "news". What would you all think about removing the "news" subforum entirely?
I think you're right. I like consolidation.

And if a post really doesn't fit anywhere else, there is already a forum for "Stuff That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else." What could go wrong? :)

My $0.02
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

milo wrote:What could go wrong?
:lol:
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

As a long-time lurker but a new member, this is just my personal (newbie) opinion: It does seem to be redundant as is if certain news is restricted from the forum topic and has to go elsewhere. Then again, I've liked being able to go to one place and see posts of all new announcements--it's been convenient. I think it either needs to have all news allowed (even commercial sales and announcements) to make it convenient to find it all in one place, or be removed altogether because of redundancy since other (possibly more appropriate forums) exist. My personal vote would be to allow any and all news to be allowed, and keep the forum as a true news location for easy convenience.