How to run win32 and win64 vsts together?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

muzikermammoth
Established Member

How to run win32 and win64 vsts together?

Post by muzikermammoth »

I'm trying to run a windows 64 bit vst. But when i drag and drop the VST dll into the carla rack, the carla log says: wine is a 64 bit installation and cannot be used with a 32 bit wineserver. I remember installing wine32-tools vs wine64-tools. Maybe this is causing a conflict.

But how is everyone managing the wine32 vs wine64 deployment
JBandi
Established Member

Re: How to run win32 and win64 vsts together?

Post by JBandi »

It might seem that you only have 32 bit WINE installed.

The easiest way to determine whether you have a 32 bit WINE prefix or not, is to open the WINE folder (typically /home/username/.wine/drive_c) and if you only see the "Program Files" folder, this means 32 bit prefix.

Also, check the packages on your system. I'm using Linux Mint 19.3., and a simple sudo dpkg -l | grep -i wine gives:

(hope I don't mess up the formatting)

Code: Select all

ii  carla-vst-wine                                5:2.1~rc1+git20200201                                       amd64        carla VST for windows applications
ii  fonts-wine                                    3.0-1ubuntu1                                                all          Windows API implementation - fonts
ii  libkwineffects11:amd64                        4:5.12.9.1-0ubuntu0.1build1~ubuntu18.04~ppa1                amd64        KDE window manager effects library
ii  libwine-development:amd64                     3.6-1                                                       amd64        Windows API implementation - library
ii  libwine-development:i386                      3.6-1                                                       i386         Windows API implementation - library
ii  libwine-development-dev:amd64                 3.6-1                                                       amd64        Windows API implementation - development files
ii  libwine-development-dev:i386                  3.6-1                                                       i386         Windows API implementation - development files
ii  lmms-vst-full:i386                            2:1.1.3-5kxstudio3v5                                        i386         Linux Multimedia Studio - full VST support using Wine
rc  wine-rt                                       2:3.0.2-1~kxstudio3                                         amd64        Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (Binary Emulator and Library)
rc  wine-rt-amd64                                 2:3.0.2-1~kxstudio3                                         amd64        Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (64-bit support)
rc  wine-rt-i386:i386                             2:3.0.2-1~kxstudio3                                         i386         Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (32-bit support)
ii  wine-stable                                   5.0.0~bionic                                                amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-amd64                             5.0.0~bionic                                                amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-i386:i386                         5.0.0~bionic                                                i386         WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  winehq-stable                                 5.0.0~bionic                                                amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

I think carla has own packages for different bridges, I have carla-bridge-wine32 and carla-bridge-wine64.

I mostly use windows vsts with Airwave, but they say it is dead.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

JBandi
Established Member

Post by JBandi »

You are right, I forgot to filter "carla" as well, only did it with "wine". :mrgreen:

But I'm sure those bridges still need the appropriate (32 or 64 bit) Wine prefix under the hood, otherwise they wouldn't work. Honestly I didn't experiment with this, I just installed both Wine and Carla to support 32 and 64 bit stuff.