Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

MachinaeWolf
Established Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 am

Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby MachinaeWolf » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:00 am

I had everything working and Kontakt player was working fine for me last week and then yesterday it suddenly stops working for me. I have everything setup and it was working with linvst version 2.5. I don't think wine was what broke it but I tried an older version and it didn't work. My other plugins were still working fine it was just Kontakt player version 6-ish (I currently can't check it due to it crashing now...). So I thought maybe the wine prefix had gotten messed up so I removed it and started from scratch. I have these things installed from winetricks

Code: Select all

w_workaround_wine_bug-34803
remove_mono
winxp
dotnet40
gdiplus
mfc42
w_workaround_wine_bug-37781
vcrun2017
iertutil
wininet
andale
arial
comicsans
courier
georgia
impact
times
trebuchet
verdana
webdings
corefonts
d3dx9
directx9
xact
directx9
vcrun2013
remove_mono
winxp
gdiplus_winxp
vcrun2005
vcrun2008
vcrun2010
w_workaround_wine_bug-37781

It still just crashes on me and I'm still using an LTS kernel on arch because a month ago or so somehow a normal kernel broke linvst working. I'm currently using wine-staging. I'm very confused as to why it just suddenly stopped working right.
Here's an error message that seems inaccurate to me since linvst is indeed working on other plugins Image

I tried to further debug the situation by running kontakt player's .exe in wine and I got this

Code: Select all

wine: Call from 0x7bc8cd8c to unimplemented function api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll._seh_filter_dll, aborting

But the files are in their spots

Code: Select all

./wine/drive_c/windows/system32/api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
./wine/drive_c/windows/syswow64/api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll

If it helps to know the DAW I use is renoise.

ubuntuuser
Established Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:46 am

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby ubuntuuser » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:50 am

LinVst 2.5 doesn't work with newer 5.x kernels.

LinVst 2.6 and 2.7 do.

Try LinVst 2.7 and see what happens.

MachinaeWolf
Established Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 am

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby MachinaeWolf » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:23 am

Good to know however I am on arch's 4.19.75-1-lts, should I try linvst 2.7 anyway?

ubuntuuser
Established Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:46 am

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby ubuntuuser » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:52 am

MachinaeWolf wrote:Good to know however I am on arch's 4.19.75-1-lts, should I try linvst 2.7 anyway?


I think the LinVst 2.7 binaries on the LinVst github releases page work with Arch but I havn't tried them on Arch.

If the problem isn't because of a 5.x kernel then the problem could be anything.

The first thing to try is to reinstall some things that Kontakt depends on, if it was working then it suddenly isn't would suggest that some files might be corrupt or gone missing or something has been altered maybe.

MachinaeWolf
Established Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 am

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby MachinaeWolf » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:42 pm

Unfortunately linvst 2.7 didn't fix the issue

Code: Select all

wine: Call from 0x7bc8dccc to unimplemented function api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll._seh_filter_dll, aborting
0043:err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 416 bytes in thread 0043 eip 000000007bcd9f54 esp 0000000000131470 stack 0x130000-0x131000-0x230000
LinVst Error: lin-vst-server not found or vst dll load timeout or LinVst version mismatch
Renoise LOG> VstPlugs: Instantiate FAILED (MagicMatch) !!!
Renoise LOG> Audio Plugins: Failed to open plug VST: Kontakt
Renoise LOG> Exception: Failed to initialize the plugin 'VST: Unknown Vendor: Kontakt'.
Renoise LOG> Error Message: Failed to initialize the plugin 'VST: Unknown Vendor: Kontakt'.

ubuntuuser
Established Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:46 am

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby ubuntuuser » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:01 am

MachinaeWolf wrote:Unfortunately linvst 2.7 didn't fix the issue

Code: Select all

wine: Call from 0x7bc8dccc to unimplemented function api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll._seh_filter_dll, aborting
0043:err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 416 bytes in thread 0043 eip 000000007bcd9f54 esp 0000000000131470 stack 0x130000-0x131000-0x230000
LinVst Error: lin-vst-server not found or vst dll load timeout or LinVst version mismatch
Renoise LOG> VstPlugs: Instantiate FAILED (MagicMatch) !!!
Renoise LOG> Audio Plugins: Failed to open plug VST: Kontakt
Renoise LOG> Exception: Failed to initialize the plugin 'VST: Unknown Vendor: Kontakt'.
Renoise LOG> Error Message: Failed to initialize the plugin 'VST: Unknown Vendor: Kontakt'.



There is an unimplemented function api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll error.

api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio which the Kontakt install should take care of.

So it looks like something went wrong with your Kontakt install.

Death
Established Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby Death » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:20 pm

I'm on the Arch based Manjaro and FL Studio recently stopped working on me. As far as I know, it's not a Kernel or Wine version issue. Anyway, I read your thread as I was making my one. I think it's possible we may both be victim to the same issue. Maybe between our two threads we can figure it out. Here's my thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20541

MachinaeWolf
Established Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 am

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby MachinaeWolf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Death wrote:I'm on the Arch based Manjaro and FL Studio recently stopped working on me. As far as I know, it's not a Kernel or Wine version issue. Anyway, I read your thread as I was making my one. I think it's possible we may both be victim to the same issue. Maybe between our two threads we can figure it out. Here's my thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20541

Interesting to know I'm not alone in having odd issues. That got me thinking if it's not the kernel or wine version maybe it's a systemd issue? Tried a few older versions of systemd and related deps but that didn't affect it at all.

Death
Established Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby Death » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:41 am

MachinaeWolf wrote:Interesting to know I'm not alone in having odd issues. That got me thinking if it's not the kernel or wine version maybe it's a systemd issue? Tried a few older versions of systemd and related deps but that didn't affect it at all.


Yeh I'm not sure. I've been experiencing this issue for about a few weeks now. I forget exactly what was updated around the time it happened. But I do remember around that time there was a numbered Manjaro update. I chose to update but it seemed as though nothing actually happened, no files downloaded, nothing.. I have Manjaro on two other computers and they both did the same thing when I tried to apply this update to them. I thought maybe it was some kind of preparation configuration file for a major update, but that major update doesn't seem to have happened yet.. Did you notice anything similar on Arch?

MachinaeWolf
Established Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 am

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby MachinaeWolf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:42 pm

Death wrote:
MachinaeWolf wrote:Interesting to know I'm not alone in having odd issues. That got me thinking if it's not the kernel or wine version maybe it's a systemd issue? Tried a few older versions of systemd and related deps but that didn't affect it at all.


Yeh I'm not sure. I've been experiencing this issue for about a few weeks now. I forget exactly what was updated around the time it happened. But I do remember around that time there was a numbered Manjaro update. I chose to update but it seemed as though nothing actually happened, no files downloaded, nothing.. I have Manjaro on two other computers and they both did the same thing when I tried to apply this update to them. I thought maybe it was some kind of preparation configuration file for a major update, but that major update doesn't seem to have happened yet.. Did you notice anything similar on Arch?

Nope, things updated as usual on arch. I'm looking through pacman's log to see maybe what would've been the issue. Here's the update list from around when things weren't working:

Code: Select all

[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded tzdata (2019c-1 -> 2019c-2)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded systemd-libs (243.0-1 -> 243.51-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded e2fsprogs (1.45.3-1 -> 1.45.4-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded a2jmidid (8-3 -> 9-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded acpid (2.0.31-1 -> 2.0.32-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded archlinux-appstream-data (20190825-1 -> 20190925-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded babl (0.1.66-1 -> 0.1.72-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gc (7.6.8-1 -> 8.0.4-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded bbswitch-dkms (0.8-251 -> 0.8-253)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded bind-tools (9.14.5-1 -> 9.14.6-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded bluez (5.50-7 -> 5.51-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded bluez-libs (5.50-7 -> 5.51-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded libelf (0.176-1 -> 0.177-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded systemd (243.0-1 -> 243.51-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded bluez-utils (5.50-7 -> 5.51-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded btrfs-progs (5.2.1-1 -> 5.2.2-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded fontconfig (2:2.13.1+12+g5f5ec56-1 -> 2:2.13.91+23+g65087ac-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Rebuilding fontconfig cache... done.
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded xorgproto (2019.1-1 -> 2019.1-2)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded libtasn1 (4.14-1 -> 4.14-2)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded poppler (0.80.0-1 -> 0.80.0-2)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded qpdf (9.0.0-1 -> 9.0.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded imagemagick (7.0.8.65-1 -> 7.0.8.66-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded liblouis (3.10.0-1 -> 3.11.0-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded cups-filters (1.25.5-1 -> 1.25.6-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded enchant (2.2.6-1 -> 2.2.7-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gstreamer (1.16.0-2 -> 1.16.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded libwacom (1.0-1 -> 1.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gst-plugins-base-libs (1.16.0-3 -> 1.16.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded pango (1:1.44.6-1 -> 1:1.44.6+2-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gst-plugins-base (1.16.0-3 -> 1.16.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gmic (2.7.1-1 -> 2.7.2-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded shared-mime-info (1.13.1-2 -> 1.14-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gimp-plugin-gmic (2.7.1-1 -> 2.7.2-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gst-libav (1.16.0-1 -> 1.16.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gst-plugins-good (1.16.0-1 -> 1.16.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gst-plugins-bad (1.16.0-5 -> 1.16.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gst-plugins-ugly (1.16.0-1 -> 1.16.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gst-python (1.16.0-1 -> 1.16.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded gstreamer-vaapi (1.16.0-1 -> 1.16.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded haveged (1.9.6-3 -> 1.9.6-4)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded hdparm (9.58-1 -> 9.58-2)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded iproute2 (5.2.0-1 -> 5.3.0-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded krita-plugin-gmic (2.7.1-1 -> 2.7.2-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded lib32-e2fsprogs (1.45.3-1 -> 1.45.4-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded lib32-libelf (0.176-1 -> 0.177-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded lib32-libvorbis (1.3.6-1 -> 1.3.6-1.1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded lib32-systemd (243.0-1 -> 243.51-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded libffado (2.4.1-5 -> 2.4.2-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded libpwquality (1.4.0-2 -> 1.4.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded libqmi (1.22.6-1 -> 1.24.0-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded libunrar (1:5.8.1-1 -> 1:5.8.2-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded libwpe (1.3.91-1 -> 1.4.0-1)
[2019-09-26 14:16] [ALPM] upgraded libxvmc (1.0.11-1 -> 1.0.12-2)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded linux (5.3.arch1-1 -> 5.3.1.arch1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded linux-lts (4.19.73-1 -> 4.19.75-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded linux-lts-headers (4.19.73-1 -> 4.19.75-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded mate-calc (1.22.1-1 -> 1.22.2-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded mobile-broadband-provider-info (20190116-1 -> 20190618-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded mono (6.0.0.327-1 -> 6.0.0.334-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded mpd (0.21.14-1 -> 0.21.15-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded noto-fonts-emoji (20180810-2 -> 20190810-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded nvidia-dkms (435.21-5 -> 435.21-7)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded openssh (8.0p1-2 -> 8.0p1-3)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded phonon-qt5 (4.11.0-1 -> 4.11.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded poppler-glib (0.80.0-1 -> 0.80.0-2)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded ppsspp (1.8.0-1 -> 1.9.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded python-keyutils (0.5-3 -> 0.6-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded systemd-sysvcompat (243.0-1 -> 243.51-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded unrar (1:5.8.1-1 -> 1:5.8.2-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded vala (0.46.1-1 -> 0.46.1-2)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded wpebackend-fdo (1.3.91-1 -> 1.4.0-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded webkit2gtk (2.26.0-1 -> 2.26.1-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded wireless-regdb (2019.03.01-1 -> 2019.06.03-1)
[2019-09-26 14:17] [ALPM] upgraded xterm (348-1 -> 349-1)

Death
Established Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby Death » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 pm

I only know what some of those things are. But yeh, I can see why you suspected Systemd.

Where did you find those Pacman update logs? It'd be good to compare and see if anything stands out. I've spent most of my time on Debian/Ubuntu based distros so I still haven't learned the Pacman commands yet, not that I knew many of the Apt ones anyway :lol:

Cheers.

MachinaeWolf
Established Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 am

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby MachinaeWolf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:52 am

Death wrote:I only know what some of those things are. But yeh, I can see why you suspected Systemd.

Where did you find those Pacman update logs? It'd be good to compare and see if anything stands out. I've spent most of my time on Debian/Ubuntu based distros so I still haven't learned the Pacman commands yet, not that I knew many of the Apt ones anyway :lol:

Cheers.

Pacman's log is located at /var/log/pacman.log

ubuntuuser
Established Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:46 am

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby ubuntuuser » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:57 am

With things like this I think it's a good idea to delete the wineprefix (and other prefixes if they were created by the user) sudo rm -R ~/.wine and then run winecfg and then reinstall the windows apps/vsts.

Doing the above will delete all of the currently installed Wine windows/apps, so they need to be reinstalled.

What it does is to delete the whole current wine setup, the registry and any settings problems connected to it, config file problems, possibly corrupted files, possible dll install problems etc etc so it's a complete reset.

Wine has also recently introduced a cmd bug that they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix, so winetricks cmd is needed for some apps like Waves Central and probably others.

Death
Established Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby Death » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:19 pm

MachinaeWolf wrote:Pacman's log is located at /var/log/pacman.log


I was just looking through the log and I was thinking, you're saying the issues started around the 26th last month. The last updates I had were on the 25th. Add to that the fact that Manjaro tends to be about a week behind Arch on its updates (apparently) and that I think my issues started about a few weeks back, I'm not as sure we're being affected by the same things (although I definitely wouldn't rule it out). Unless you did your updates a bit late or something. There's a lot of stuff in my logs for the approximate time period though.

I'm going to keep searching around the net to see if anything turns up.

MachinaeWolf
Established Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 am

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Postby MachinaeWolf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Death wrote:
MachinaeWolf wrote:Pacman's log is located at /var/log/pacman.log


I was just looking through the log and I was thinking, you're saying the issues started around the 26th last month. The last updates I had were on the 25th. Add to that the fact that Manjaro tends to be about a week behind Arch on its updates (apparently) and that I think my issues started about a few weeks back, I'm not as sure we're being affected by the same things (although I definitely wouldn't rule it out). Unless you did your updates a bit late or something. There's a lot of stuff in my logs for the approximate time period though.

I'm going to keep searching around the net to see if anything turns up.

Well the only updates before the 26th I did was on the 19th but I think it was still good then.


Return to “Running non-linux software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest