Has anyone tried the hardware iLok USB device with linux?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pemberley
Established Member

Has anyone tried the hardware iLok USB device with linux?

Post by pemberley »

I have the iLok license manager running and working on Manjaro with a few different plugins. I don't have an iLok device yet, but am considering getting one, since iZotope plugins require it to authenticate.

Has anyone tried this? I've never used an iLok dongle on any platform, so I'm not sure how they work.
Death
Established Member

Re: Has anyone tried the hardware iLok USB device with linux?

Post by Death »

I haven't. Never owned an iLok. But the reason I'm replying is to say that you don't need one for iZotope plugins. I have a bunch of them and I activate them without an iLok. However, I can't get mine activated on Linux via Wine. I sent some debug info to iZotope and am hoping they figure out how to get it working. On WineHQ it says that you need 'crypt32 installed', but I've had no luck with that. It also causes a problem to happen when I have that installed, but I forget what that problem is :P Anyway, just thought you might find this info useful.
pemberley
Established Member

Post by pemberley »

Ah that gives me some hope then! When I loaded an Alloy 2 license into my license manager, the iLok dongle logo was darkened, but the little laptop wasn't, which led me to believe I couldn't do a software authentication. I'll keep playing with it!

I'll let you know if I manage to get it working somehow. Neutron 3 seems pretty neat.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Yeh good luck with it. I'd be interested to hear of your results because maybe the iLok way works.. I just never bought one of them because it just seems like a glorified, overpriced USB drive as far as I can tell. I'd rather they just sell us a license to the iLok software for cheaper and let us put that on our own USB drives.

As for Neutron, it's not my thing. I don't think I'd learn how to mix properly if I used a tool like that. Seems like the idea is to a lot of the work for you and it won't be as good as what you could potentially do without using it (but that means years of practice, of course). I bought a bundle of iZotope plugins because it was on sale and cheaper than just buying the plugin I actually wanted which was RX. That thing is amazing for cleaning up noise. I'm pretty sure Linux has nothing native that compares to it.. Anyway, back to the Neutron thing - I found myself using Ozone seeing as it was in the bundle. It has some cool "cheaty" type functions that basically master the song for you. I've played with them a bit to see if I can learn anything from them. It has helped me learn how to better balance a mix, realising that mine were often a little too bass heavy and lacking in the top end (it's personal preference, of course. But I ended up agreeing with its EQ suggestions for the most part in the end). You've just got to be careful with those tools, unless you don't mind being dependant them!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

pemberley wrote:I have the iLok license manager running and working on Manjaro with a few different plugins. I don't have an iLok device yet, but am considering getting one, since iZotope plugins require it to authenticate.

Has anyone tried this? I've never used an iLok dongle on any platform, so I'm not sure how they work.
Haven't tried an ilok in linux. The software manager worked in Mint 18 with Hybrid 3 and Vacuum a while back,
but when I installed Boom, one of the AIR drum machine plugins, it all broke.
That was wine 4.8, now that wine 4.11 is out, I need to try it fresh.
I also have a Manjaro install, at wine 4.9.1, but jackd keeps getting zombified
and Reaper loses it's audio connection. An odd duck, some plugins that run
fine in Mint, instantly call the zombies in Manjaro...and some follow suit
when certain presets are loaded. :roll: better times will come I think
when Manjaro wine catches up with wineHQ.
Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Death wrote:I haven't. Never owned an iLok. But the reason I'm replying is to say that you don't need one for iZotope plugins. I have a bunch of them and I activate them without an iLok. However, I can't get mine activated on Linux via Wine. I sent some debug info to iZotope and am hoping they figure out how to get it working. On WineHQ it says that you need 'crypt32 installed', but I've had no luck with that. It also causes a problem to happen when I have that installed, but I forget what that problem is :P Anyway, just thought you might find this info useful.
I've tried getting an offline reg to work, but the text-entry area where their code should appear is blank.
I should ask them if they will allow a reg in some other chain of actions. Thanks for
sharing your experiences and common sense with regard to izotope products.
Such tools have their place and purpose, but recognizing audio flaws and perfections
has it's own rewards. Their videos are also well done, especially
for people like me for whom all is new at each sunrise :wink:
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I basically ditch any software that requires that or something similar. Just yesterday I heard about a synth company for the first time, Virsyn, from Germany. They have interesting (if expensive) products but, only 2 of them do not require a USB lock device. So there's no assurance whatsoever that the USB scheme will not be ported to the other 2 products some day.

Result: ditch.
Alternative: I could ask the company, but a word is only but a word.

So I 'end up' with all of Melda plugins, all of Voxengo plugins, IK MUltimedia, Rob Papen, Tone2, Synthmaster, Image Line, and others, and no Waves, no Izotope, no NI and am very happy because when I'll finish learning very well what all the plugins I have can do, I will be able to do whatever Waves, Izotope and NI are doing. Well, perhaps a bit less on the sampling side of NI, but that's OK, Sample Tank 3 is pretty good and I'm not writing orchestral material.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

glowrak guy wrote:I've tried getting an offline reg to work, but the text-entry area where their code should appear is blank.
I should ask them if they will allow a reg in some other chain of actions. Thanks for
sharing your experiences and common sense with regard to izotope products.
Such tools have their place and purpose, but recognizing audio flaws and perfections
has it's own rewards. Their videos are also well done, especially
for people like me for whom all is new at each sunrise :wink:
My issue is that I can put in my key but it just doesn't work. I tried this with online activation and the 'Challenge & response' methods. I also tried with the VST2, VST3 & standalone versions. They issued me a new key and it still happens. Although I'm trying Ozone v8, there's a report for Ozone 7 on WineHQ which says you need 'crypt32'. I've tried it in all its modes and it won't work: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... gId=100126
I'm just hoping its one of those things that suddenly works with a Wine update someday soon :P
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Seems like they are talking about a crypt32.dll override and that dll seems to have 32bit and 64bit versions so they would need to go into syswow64 for 32bit and system32 for 64bit and then added in the Libraries tab in winecfg.

There are also different versions, so some might work better than others.

Also maybe winbind.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

ubuntuuser wrote:Seems like they are talking about a crypt32.dll override and that dll seems to have 32bit and 64bit versions so they would need to go into syswow64 for 32bit and system32 for 64bit and then added in the Libraries tab in winecfg.

There are also different versions, so some might work better than others.

Also maybe winbind.
I used PlayOnLinux and it installed crypt32 in both those locations of my prefix. I also messed around with the settings in winecfg.I'll give winbind a shot also next time I try this. Maybe I need to try getting these files from somewhere else. I'm using Linux Mint so my version of POL is a bit outdated.

Thanks for the advice :) I'll report back to this thread with any findings..
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

Any update on autenticating Izotope products?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Perhaps not Izotope related, but I tried the software i-Lok manager recently,
and it failed to run, after apparently installing OK.

It installed Apple's BonJour network system, which later was a pain
to manually root out of the registry, as a few things quit working upon it's arrival,
and only resumed working on it's banishment.

I think someone good at deciphering terminal output, and adding missing pieces,
might get this manager working, as I had it running for a few days, a couple years back.
I have some lite Izotope products, if time allows, I'll try them again.
Cheers
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

I googled a lot, noone seam to be able to make it work. some guy said he managed to get all license relevant info into wine's registry and the software would still ask for autentication.
I suspect that iZotope software is hard-coded to avoid making this work in wine, probably because of DRM shit.
the only "solution" I found people sugesting on reddit is using pirated version, even though they have the license.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I really doubt any registration schemes are aimed at disrupting wine.
There would be no point, as their reg systems already are designed
to meet sometimes absurdly rigid criteria, even from a windows
user's point of view.

Wine is very game/office oriented, the man-hours available to
decipher vst reg componants may or may not exist, and unless some
popular game install/reg fails at the same point as Izotope products,
it's better to to track down products from competitors.

You could get Harrisson Mixbus, Bitwig 16 Track, and Reaper
for around $200, receiving a wide range of DAW capabilities that
might replace the need for Izotope. IK's T-Racks has a ton of plugins,
some with standalones. I've tried their demos of Sunset Studio
and Lurrsen Console, among many others, and followed the namesake
video walk-throughs and interviews, quite interesting.
And IK's reg system and account management works fine, and is quite helpful
when testing/using multiple distros. Sales of significant discounts are frequent.
Cheers
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

normaly I agree that there is no need to use windows VSTs, but there isn't anything comparable to Ozone out there. Ozone is actualy the only WIN VST I use