Waves plugins, LinVST and GTK3

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

supereb
Established Member

Waves plugins, LinVST and GTK3

Post by supereb »

Is anyone running Waves plugins with "Enable GTK3 Theming" checked in winecfg?

Plugins were working fine until I checked enable (..I wonder what this does...). Now the GUIs and all black/blank. Unchecking the box does not revert back to previous state. Plugins from other vendors are fine.
artofmusic
Established Member

Re: Waves plugins, LinVST and GTK3

Post by artofmusic »

Welcome to gtk3 wine. I dont use it, because of that very reason they should just remove gtk3 themeing support already. Try starting a new wine bottle and delete all 32bit gtk3 dependcies and start again, sadly.
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

artofmusic wrote:Welcome to gtk3 wine. I dont use it, because of that very reason they should just remove gtk3 themeing support already. Try starting a new wine bottle and delete all 32bit gtk3 dependcies and start again, sadly.
Thanks for responding. I'm relatively new to all of this. Just so I'm clear, I should create a new prefix and then delete 32bit gtk3 dependancies? Where are they found? Synaptic lists various gtk3 packages installed, but I don't know if these were installed by WINE or were installed by default in MX Linux/used by something else.

I tried a re-install of winehq-staging 4.6. Waves Central installs plugins fine, but wine goes crazy when doing a plugin scan in Mixbus. So deleting existing prefixes and re-installing wine was not enough.

It would not be a big deal for me to start with a fresh Linux install and bring things back to where they were before I checked "enable gtk3" but I'd like to learn how to fix this if it is practical to do so.
artofmusic
Established Member

Post by artofmusic »

I use Arch Linux sorry it won't work EXACTLY the same. For me it is a sudo pacman -Rsc lib32-gtk3, for you it might be sudo apt-get purge gtk3:i386. Purge means to remove all dependencies and configuration files. Haven't used Debian in more than a year though.
Lastly, if everything else is working just do this and you'll be fine and get that default 90's wine app look stuff back. No need to reinstall the OS, too much work for this simple issue.
Lastly, you can always search for the gtk3 package by typing sudo aptitude search gtk3.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

IMO, be careful about deleting the prefix where you have waves plugins installed. I'm afraid that deleting the prefix would lead you to lose the license installed into the prefix.. You can rename it to something else though, so that you still have a possibility to go back and recover the license somehow.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

artofmusic wrote:I use Arch Linux sorry it won't work EXACTLY the same. For me it is a sudo pacman -Rsc lib32-gtk3, for you it might be sudo apt-get purge gtk3:i386. Purge means to remove all dependencies and configuration files. Haven't used Debian in more than a year though.
Lastly, if everything else is working just do this and you'll be fine and get that default 90's wine app look stuff back. No need to reinstall the OS, too much work for this simple issue.
Lastly, you can always search for the gtk3 package by typing sudo aptitude search gtk3.
Thanks for the explanation. After looking into things more, the only packages that contained gtk3 as part of their name were part of the default MX Linux installation. Its weird that I can't successfully get through the plugin scan of a wave shell after disabling gtk3 theming or a complete removal/re-install of wine.
Last edited by supereb on Thu May 02, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

Jack Winter wrote:IMO, be careful about deleting the prefix where you have waves plugins installed. I'm afraid that deleting the prefix would lead you to lose the license installed into the prefix.. You can rename it to something else though, so that you still have a possibility to go back and recover the license somehow.
Thanks. That is a good practice, along with taking snapshots of the system at various points - which I did not do! Fortunately, short of a network card or USB drive failure, I'm not sure you can lose Waves licenses.

I did not move my licenses off the W10 partition, but when I logged into Waves Central using wine, my licenses synced into .wine automatically. The licenses are attached to either the network card ID or if stored on USB, the USB drive serial number. If you disable your network card, the licenses will show as being on C: or drive_c, but under "Disconnected". The licenses are still there but a matching network card ID is what unlocks them. Waves only seems to care about network card ID or USB serial number of where they last transferred to.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

supereb wrote: I did not move my licenses off the W10 partition, but when I logged into Waves Central using wine, my licenses synced into .wine automatically. The licenses are attached to either the network card ID or if stored on USB, the USB drive serial number. If you disable your network card, the licenses will show as being on C: or drive_c, but under "Disconnected". The licenses are still there but a matching network card ID is what unlocks them. Waves only seems to care about network card ID or USB serial number of where they last transferred to.
Ah cool, I didn't know that. Have only seen that it won't run in wine without a usb stick attached, but never found any files on the usb. Will try on my laptop, which has both win10 and linux installed.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

Same here. i keep a USB drive plugged in during installation. I've tried creating a .windows-serial file with the serial number of the drive, but waves plugins and waves central wont recognize it as a connected device even if there were licenses previously installed.
artofmusic
Established Member

Post by artofmusic »

I don't use Waves, but all my Garritan licenses are in the cloud as well under my account. I'm surprised that there is no way to register such products on the cloud with Waves unless you're using something ancient.