Linvst: hanging processes

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ubuntuuser
Established Member

Re: Linvst: hanging processes

Post by ubuntuuser »

I installed XUbuntu 18.04 on a quad-core.

I also installed Wine Staging 4,3 (from WineHQ) and Ardour which pulls in jack and also Reaper.

I installed multilib for 32 bit, sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib g++-multilib

I installed winbind and qjackctl.

I edited a few files for Jack RT

sudo mousepad /etc/security/limits.conf

add

@audio - rtprio 99

sudo mousepad /etc/group

change

audio:x:29:pulse

to audio:x:29:pulse,<your_username>

I don't think I did much else to the XUbuntu 18.04 install.

Reaper and Ardour are not leaving zombies for multiple LinVst plugins but Bitwig is (but Bitwig doesn't seem to leave a zomie for a single LinVst plugin),

So it probably looks like that it's something Bitwig is doing when there are multiple vst plugins present and the other DAW's aren't.

From what I can make out by some debugging, Bitwig sends a close message to the first LinVst plugin and that closes ok and then Bitwig sends another close message to the next LinVst plugin and that might close ok and then there seems to be a Bitwig internal crash and no more close messages are sent to the remaining LinVst plugins leaving them still running when they should not be.

If I add 5 LinVst plugins and then manually remove them all before shutting down Bitwig, then Bitwig removes them ok and shuts down normally.

If I add 5 LinVst plugins and then shutdown Bitwig, then Bitwig sends a close message to 2 of the LinVst plugins and then it crashes and leaves the other 3 LinVst plugins hanging around.
Last edited by ubuntuuser on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I read a lot of bad things about Bitwig 2.5 for Linux in this forum, whereas the same people say that ver 2.4 worked fine. Cant' we conclude that ver. 2.5 is broken?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

ubuntuuser wrote:If I add 5 LinVst plugins and then manually remove them all before shutting down Bitwig, then Bitwig removes them ok and shuts down normally. If I add 5 LinVst plugins and then shutdown Bitwig, then Bitwig sends a close message to 2 of the LinVst plugins and then it crashes and leaves the other 3 LinVst plugins hanging around.
I can use Bitwig 2.4.3 for hours, switching from project to project, each project having several (many) linvst VST plugins and at each switching of project eg. terminating the audio for one and enabling it for the next, everything goes very well. Plugins of all types are shut down and new ones are opened. No problem at all. This works very well. And no problem with jackd neither.

If I do not want to do any clean up zombies after terminating Bitwig and restarting jackd who has crashed by exiting Bitwig with linvst plugins (audio) still active, I disable the audio for the current project and then I exit.

So as far as working within Bitwig, it's fine.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I read a lot of bad things about Bitwig 2.5 for Linux in this forum, whereas the same people say that ver 2.4 worked fine. Cant' we conclude that ver. 2.5 is broken?
Didn't see anything about Linux and 2.5 on KVR. Yet at least.

OTOH even though errors do happen, I'd be surprised that Bitwig makes a release with a broken audio interface. They did have to re-release in a matter of a day back in the 1.x series because of a serious bug, so errors can happen. But still.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

If I choose Settings->Plug-ins

Independent plug-in host process for "Each plug-in" (or individually for Bitwig 2.5)

and check all of the LinVst plugins then I seem to get less lin-vst-server hanging processes (judging, from a few tests).

Bitwig 2.5 seems to be ok with LinVst plugins that have the checked individually plugin setting with XUbuntu 18.04.

Another way to try to avoid the hanging processes is to close all LinVst plugin windows before exiting Bitwig.