Linvst/wine-staging and dragging for resizing

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Linvst/wine-staging and dragging for resizing

Post by jonetsu »

Is resizing a plugin by dragging the bottom right corner something that's supported by the DAW or by linvst/wine-staging (or both) ?

Resizing using a configuration value and restarting (or minimizing and bringing it back to view) the plugin always works but dragging a corner of its window does not immediately take effect. One must drag to resize, then minimize the plugin and bring it back, in the case of Bitwig. In the case of Mixbus it simply does not work at all in this case.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Re: Linvst/wine-staging and dragging for resizing

Post by ubuntuuser »

VST2 resizing is a bit dicey, Daw differences etc.

Sometimes the vst has an option setting for it's size and without (LinVst's) automatic resizing enabled the vst's display usually needs to be closed and then opened for the resizing to take effect.

I have got automatic resizing in LinVst but I havn't tested it for a while and I could only get it working with Reaper and as far as Bitwig goes I don't know if it works or not with the current versions.

If the makefile is edited to include -DEMBEDRESIZE (insert it where the other -D lines are) then it will do automatic resizing but it might not work (very well) with some Daws.
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Linvst/wine-staging and dragging for resizing

Post by jonetsu »

I tried it. I only compile for 64-bit support and for each test I replace in /usr/bin : lin-vst-server.exe and lin-vst-server.exe.so. Then I copy the proper linvst.so for the test plugin.

I did not see any change. The problem remains that the 'external' window frame doe snot follow resizing. The plugin UI does resize all right when dragging the low right corner, but the frame does not follow.

After dragging, one must minimize the plugin and bring in back into view (Bitwig). Then the new size will take effect. This is only two clicks away, so it's not much in the workflow. I'm doing that for months now and it's OK.

On Mixbus though doing the same does not work. After being minimized the 'external' window frame did not resize. One must terminate Mixbus, restart it, and only then will the plugin be of the new size. Not so easy for the workflow. And that's probably because Mixbus does not 'close' the plugin UI when minimizing like Bitwig does.
bitwigResize-1.jpg
bitwigResize-1.jpg (98.31 KiB) Viewed 628 times