Re-using existing Wine install

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Markku
Established Member

Re-using existing Wine install

Post by Markku »

Hi all!

I have a large Wine env on one of my machines. It contains huge load of commercial and non-commercial VSTs (legal and paid, if someone wonders...).

Now I would like to get working install of Serum. Serum demo works well (after some minor tweaks). So bought Serum. And now I'm stuck at registering. I read (in LinVST pages, I think) that wine-staging is capable of registering Serum. But my install is very basic 3.0.4, created with Linreaper scripts.

Is it possible to convert this old-ish Wine install to wine-staging without losing existing installs? It would be PITA to re-install everything. Also, are there caveats?

Other, less work-flow efficient way could be to have several wine versions installed and several Prefixes. How hard this would be?

If there is better solution, tell me. I think Serum is one VST many would like to use.

-- Markku
Last edited by Markku on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Re: Re-using exiting Wine install

Post by ubuntuuser »

Markku wrote:Hi all!

I have a large Wine env on one of my machines. It contains huge load of commercial and non-commercial VSTs (legal and paid, if someone wonders...).

Now I would like to get working install of Serum. Serum demo works well (after some minor tweaks). So bought Serum. And now I'm stuck at registering. I read (in LinVST pages, I think) that wine-staging is capable of registering Serum. But my install is very basic 3.0.4, created with Linreaper scripts.

Is it possible to convert this old-ish Wine install to wine-staging without losing existing installs? It would be PITA to re-install everything. Also, are there caveats?

Other, less work-flow efficient way could be to have several wine versions installed and several Prefixes. How hard this would be?

If there is better solution, tell me. I think Serum is one VST many would like to use.

-- Markku
The Wine or Wine Staging install is different for each major distro https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

Basically a Release.key is downloaded and added and then Wine or Wine Staging is installed (version 4 is out).

Someone posted on the LinVst Github page that Serum can be registered using Wine Staging (I havn't tried it myself).

Serum also depends on d2d1 and d2d1 is not completely supported by Wine at the moment but if the Serum demo runs ok then it wouldn't be an issue.
Markku
Established Member

Re: Re-using existing Wine install

Post by Markku »

Yes, Serum Demo works with native d2d1 or, as in my case, d2d1 disabled.

But, what I want to do, is to use Serum with same environment as other VSTs. There are already all Togu Audio Line synths, all Applied Acoustics Systems synths, u-he Diva and Zebra2, Dune 3, Korg Legacy Collection, Thorn, Wiggle... As you can see, re-installing would be major work. Not to mention what it would do to my projects.

So. I guess it's no go for changing existing Wine Prefix from this to wine-staging?

Then, how hard it would be to have two versions of Wine (the old one and wine-staging) working in same env?

(If someone is wondering, I use native Linux apps too. I just don't have currently any problems with *them*. :D I especially like Hydrogen. )
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

Hi,
a possibility to use different Versions of WINE at the same time is "play on linux".

Here you can even use different versions of WINE for each program you use! You need to have enough disk-space.

play on linux also needs some getting used to, but it's quite nice to keep installs an wine-versions separated.

To do this "by hand" is also possible, but very complicated (using different versions of wine at the same time, I mean).

You cannot have both wine-executables in your path (or, you can, but then only one of them is used).

If you have wine staging binaries somewhere, then you would have to invoke it with path/to/my/staging/binary/wine yourexe.exe, and you would (of course) have to use a different wineprefix for that, too. Then, if everything works, you can wrap it into a .desktop - file which takes care of the different binary.

If I were you, I would probably first make a backup (at least of your wine prefix where you put in lots of work) and then try play on linux.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

All you need to do is install the version you want (staging in this case). The previous version will be removed and staging used instead. The settings like your prefix and plugins are in ~/.wine so updating the wine package doesn't remove that, everything will run just the same. You don't need two versions installed, just use wine staging.
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

That's right as long as everything that worked with wine works with wine staging, too. This is mostly, but not always, the case, so I would at least backup the wine-prefix before updating!
Markku
Established Member

Post by Markku »

I just updated wine to wine-staging and: Serum registration works! Minor drawing errors on the Serum UI, but nothing critical. Sounds very good!

Also, everything else seems to work. I try to test more extensively, but:

Thank you all for the advice! This was a successful upgrade and now I can get back to making music! :D

-- Markku
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Just a side note: If you use winecfg and use the "add application" button, you can use different overrides for different programs in the same wine prefix.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
Markku
Established Member

Post by Markku »

Jack Winter: That's exactly how I got Serum to work, I disabled d2d2 for Reaper and it worked! Really good thing you experienced gurus help us out! :D There are so much detail buried in Wine.

Btw, anybody who tries Serum, a note: now and then it slows down a lot. It's not Linux/Wine problem, it's rebuilding it's preset database. So, just wait it's ready (check from preset browser's topside), then it works normally.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Markku wrote:Jack Winter: That's exactly how I got Serum to work, I disabled d2d2 for Reaper and it worked! Really good thing you experienced gurus help us out! :D There are so much detail buried in Wine.
Well actually this makes me realize that my thought was probably wrong, probably no way to have different overrides for different plugins (except using multiple prefixes). I'll have to play with that someday to see how it works in detail.

Still happy it works for you!
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux