Voxengo free plugin with wine-staging ?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ubuntuuser
Established Member

Re: Voxengo free plugin with wine-staging ?

Post by ubuntuuser »

Bitwig times out for some plugins more than the others (Reaper, Tracktion/Waveform, Ardour etc) waiting for Wine.

MT PowerDrumKit often times out with Bitwig but not the others.

I'll try some Voxengo plugins out with Bitwig and see if the Bitwig timeout can be avoided somehow.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

A bit offtopic...

I was curious about the MT Powerdrumkit 2 in Ardour (and presumably Mixbus) with LinVST so I grabbed it and it works with the 'fan out to tracks' feature in Ardour and generates 16 Audio tracks (strangely 2 tracks for every output from the MT Powerdrumkit 2 Mixer) that you can map to with the Mixer feature in the Drumkit GUI. I don't know if I'm sold on the sounds compared to Drumgizmo and those other Linux drumkits but it's also a pretty cool free drum plugin and from what I've tested so far seems very stable with LinVST and wine-staging...

OK back to the original Voxengo topic, but hats off to @ubuntuuser, LinVST rocks!!
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

I tested a few Voxengo plugins in Reaper and Bitwig and they seem ok using Wine Staging 3.5

I do have a Visual C++ redistributable installed because Waves Central installed it, I don't know if that would make a difference, probably not and it can be installed via winetricks anyway.

vox3.jpg
vox3.jpg (199.42 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
vox4.jpg
vox4.jpg (88.62 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

GMaq wrote:A bit offtopic...

I was curious about the MT Powerdrumkit 2 in Ardour (and presumably Mixbus) with LinVST so I grabbed it and it works with the 'fan out to tracks' feature in Ardour and generates 16 Audio tracks (strangely 2 tracks for every output from the MT Powerdrumkit 2 Mixer) that you can map to with the Mixer feature in the Drumkit GUI. I don't know if I'm sold on the sounds compared to Drumgizmo and those other Linux drumkits but it's also a pretty cool free drum plugin and from what I've tested so far seems very stable with LinVST and wine-staging...

OK back to the original Voxengo topic, but hats off to @ubuntuuser, LinVST rocks!!
Thanks.

MT PowerDrumkit is ok for what it is IMO, quick and easy, but it's also one of the plugins that use the d2d1.dll which is not yet totally complete in wine and it can vary on how well d2d1 is supported with different video cards/drivers depending on the opengl/d3d capabilties of the video card/driver.

So on some systems MT PowerDrumkit can cause a timeout with Bitwig and maybe disabling d2d1 in winecfg might help.

On some systems it can work by setting HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software Wine Direct3D MaxVersionGL to 30002 (MaxVersionGL is a DWORD hex value).

That works on my i7 system with a radeon card but not on some of my other older systems with older video cards and I get a black screen for MT Powerdrumkit unless I disable d2d1 in winecfg and then it takes a while to load which Bitwig times out on.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Sometimes it takes a while for the wineserver to start, so I find it better to start it manually before starting reaper and killing it manually after exiting reaper.
"WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/fabfilter wineserver -p" and
"WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/fabfilter wineserver -k &" repectively.

Replace the wineprefix with the one corresponding to your system.

Also running "WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/fabfilter wineboot -u" after updating wine takes care of the long timeouts while wineserver scans and updated the prefix.

Don't know if this will help with the voxengo issue, but I suspect it might.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Before reading the replies here, what I observed and what I did is the following. The result is that all Voxengo free plugins work.

First observation: Throwing all the plugins with their linvst so files at Bitwig at once chokes Bitwig. It will complain about one, you remove it, it will complain about another. .... until there's one left in which case Bitwig will load it.

Based on that observation, what I did is to give to Bitwig the plugins one at a time. Each one then loaded successfully.

Second observation: after an initial load Bitwig remembers something. This means that any subsequent restarting of Bitwig with or w/o projects having Voxengo plugins will be just OK. The time occurs at the initial load.

Loading the plugins one by one.

For 'safety' measures, after starting Bitwig I waited until it it had fully initialized. Until the spinning disk at the top right has disappeared. I have already copied the Voxengo plugins from their Windows folder to a Test folder on another drive, along with the linvst.so file. Each Voxengo plugin will be installed in a custom folder like all other plugins are. A symlink to that folder located on another drive is made in ~/vst/, with ~/vst/ being in Bitwig's search path:

% cd ~/vst
% ln -s /MyStorage/Plugins

Then one by one the plugins are copied into this storage space:

% cp /MyStorage/Plugins/Test/pluginnumber1.dll /MyStorage/Plugins/Windows/Voxengo
% cp /MyStorage/Plugins/Test/linvst.so /MyStorage/Plugins/Windows/Voxengo/pluginnumber1.so

Go to Bitwig, wait just a little for Bitwig to be notified of the new file and to load it. Put it on a track if you iwsh, see if it works. Then go copy pluginnumber2.dll as above, go to Bitwig, see it load, try it if you wish, and so on so forth.

To be certain, I would use a project with some tracks and put to use each plugin as they appear. I would save the project, quit Bitwig, and restart Bitwig with the project and see that all plugins were loaded.

A 3rd observation: When Bitwig starts, Bitwig spins-a-lot. Do not disturb.

Do not ask for too much when Bitwig starts. After all plugins were running nicely I decided to throw in the the plugin directory, with Bitwig not running, the Drumformer plugin with its linvst.so file. At restart Bitwig could not load it due to taking too much time. So I terminated Bitwig, removed Drumformer, restarted Bitwig and let it do all of its init stuff, until the spinning disc disappeared. Then I copied the Drumformer plugin and its linvst.so file in the pluging directory. In a matter of seconds Bitwig recognized it. Subsequent Bitwig restarts loaded all plugins fine, including Drumformer.

There might be wine parameters and windows parameters to modify to make this easier. linVST readme file surely has many of them. I did not modify anything and it works. Takes more time, but it works. I do not mind since all those plugins are new to me so I take the initial opportunity to try a few presets and such.

Cheers.
Last edited by jonetsu on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Jack Winter wrote:Don't know if this will help with the voxengo issue, but I suspect it might.
Unless proven, I'm not really into trying things here and there. What I want to end up with is a clear procedure that I can write down and store along with other audio setup notes, with each step having a clear purpose and result.

This said, it might be useful later, and maybe later in retrospect will be proven a good thing to do. But at the moment it is only a suspicion.

Cheers.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

This all said, none of the Voxengo plugin works on the Mixbus master bus. Putting a Voxengo plugin there that's designed for multi-channel use (even with that function disabled and plugin deleted and reinstalled) makes Mixbus switch off the monitoring. Clicking on the monitoring output choice makes Mixbus show a output connection window and not the usual choices. On regular tracks the Voxengo plugins are working well. Slide a plugin from a stereo track to the master bus and you'll loose the monitoring output. Mixbus32C 4.3.19.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

That's a bit strange.

I loaded the whole load of Voxengo plugins into Bitwig in one go.

What system and Wine version are you using?

I know that on my testing system that Bitwig (demo) is a bit flaky and I need to activate the audio at startup a fair amount of the time (don't know if that's the usual routine) but it's only the Bitwig demo.

Sometimes on slower hard disks, Wine can take a while to initially load it's libraries which could put Bitwig into a possible timeout, so what I do is to run winecfg before I start using anything connected to Wine.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:This all said, none of the Voxengo plugin works on the Mixbus master bus. Putting a Voxengo plugin there that's designed for multi-channel use (even with that function disabled and plugin deleted and reinstalled) makes Mixbus switch off the monitoring. Clicking on the monitoring output choice makes Mixbus show a output connection window and not the usual choices. On regular tracks the Voxengo plugins are working well. Slide a plugin from a stereo track to the master bus and you'll loose the monitoring output. Mixbus32C 4.3.19.
I'll look into it and see what is happening.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

ubuntuuser wrote:I'll look into it and see what is happening.
With some help from Yuri in the Harrison forum, I got it working. The pin connections have to be customized. Remove all the outputs until there are only two left. Then redo the monitoring config. At this point, with only two outpus, Mixbus will offer the usual monitoring choices and not a output grid.

OTOH, none of the pin connections are seemingly remembered by Mixbus so this has to be redone every time such a plugin is used on the master bus (not a regular track).

Cheers.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Not needed for the Voxengo plugins, although where does one can get hold of robocopy.exe and a mfc42u.dll w/o having to go through a microsoft windows server resource kit tool or some such fetching and installation ?
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

jonetsu wrote:Unless proven, I'm not really into trying things here and there. What I want to end up with is a clear procedure that I can write down and store along with other audio setup notes, with each step having a clear purpose and result.
Up to you..:) But my honest advice is that if you want to use linvst, then start the wineserver(s) before the daw, and kill it/them afterwards. Don't rely on the wineserver being started automatically when you load or scan the plugin. Especially if bitwig is skint with the timeouts..
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

And do run "wineboot -u" for your prefixes after installing a new version of wine, otherwise you'll get big timeouts when trying to load a plugin.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Jack Winter wrote:And do run "wineboot -u" for your prefixes after installing a new version of wine, otherwise you'll get big timeouts when trying to load a plugin.
It certainly makes sense to start wine before although at the moment, apart from the first scan of the plugins by Bitwig, there are no problems related to that. What would be the prefixes you mentioned ?