Airwave VST bridge

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Airwave VST bridge

Post by sysrqer »

GMaq wrote:
If you build 'ArdourVST' (in other words the custom build that runs in Wine and supports Windows VST plugins) there is no need for Airwave since Ardour just can natively run them.
The last time I looked at doing that it only supports 32 bit :x
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sysrqer wrote:
GMaq wrote:
If you build 'ArdourVST' (in other words the custom build that runs in Wine and supports Windows VST plugins) there is no need for Airwave since Ardour just can natively run them.
The last time I looked at doing that it only supports 32 bit :x
Ooops

Yes you're right, I use 32bit all the time so that slipped my mind...
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

the .so wont apear in Ardour for me. The scanner wont find it. (path included)
in Qtractor it shows up, but it wont add to a track.
i'm on Arch Linux and used the package form AUR
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

Capoeira wrote:the .so wont apear in Ardour for me. The scanner wont find it. (path included)
now that I let the manager window open while trying to load the .so in Qtractor, I saw the errormessage saying the link is corrupted. I try to load Kontakt
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Capoeira wrote:the .so wont apear in Ardour for me. The scanner wont find it. (path included)
I can't remember for sure, but I think you can use host vsti's in Airwave via Carla in Ardour and it worked ok when I tried it. Yes I know, it's a bit of a roundabout way of doing things.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Just trying several win64 /32 vst's with Airwave and Qtractor, wondering if the same things happen to other people.
  1. I'm not depending on these or any particular Windows plugin but now and then I like to enter KVR's One Synth Challenge (https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/) which most of the time uses Windows/Mac VST plugin. If possible I try to use a Linux DAW (Ardour or Qtractor)
  2. I still have to check if the same things happen in Reaper, I will report back.
  3. Please note that I, for the most part, just loaded a preset from the synth or edited one without saving the preset.
  4. I like numbered lists
Plugins I tried:
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

If my history is correct, airwave came about in part, to ease the use of complex vst plugins
withn the linux version of bitwig. I'd recommend testing airwave with time-tested U-he Podolski (free)
Zebra2 demo, and the free Zebralette that Zebra2 also installs.
(Zebra2 itself runs unrestricted in 13 minute sessions, for extensive testing)

xhip is perpetually unfished, nightlife is a very new release, and Brainstormer is a beta,
probably not a fair shake for airwave. :wink:
Cheers
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Just wanted to hop in here.. I'm testing Airwave and it looks very interesting! Nice work, phant0m!!

Running SQ8L in Qtractor works fine so far. But I tried Lynx in Qtractor and got a "have-to-close-due-to-error" message. I didn't save the output but I'd be happy to assist if needed!

During the compile, I did get this message however, not sure what it means:

Code: Select all

/home/brian/Downloads/VSTi/airwave/src/manager/core/logsocket.cpp: In member function ‘bool LogSocket::listen(const QString&)’:
/home/brian/Downloads/VSTi/airwave/src/manager/core/logsocket.cpp:46:72: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments [-Wformat-security]
  std::snprintf(address.sun_path, UNIX_PATH_MAX, id.toUtf8().constData());
                                                                        ^
/home/brian/Downloads/VSTi/airwave/src/manager/core/logsocket.cpp:46:72: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments [-Wformat-security]
brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

glowrak guy wrote:If my history is correct, airwave came about in part, to ease the use of complex vst plugins
withn the linux version of bitwig. I'd recommend testing airwave with time-tested U-he Podolski (free)
Zebra2 demo, and the free Zebralette that Zebra2 also installs.
(Zebra2 itself runs unrestricted in 13 minute sessions, for extensive testing)

xhip is perpetually unfished, nightlife is a very new release, and Brainstormer is a beta,
probably not a fair shake for airwave. :wink:
Cheers
Not trying to bash Airwave at all or anything. I was just wondering how / where to 'state' of the plugin is saved. Is the DAW supposed to do this ? I really have no clue.
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

For an unknown reason, I haven't received notifications from this thread to my email. Anyway, it seems that the issue with invisible GUI in Ardour is finally fixed (thanks to jypma from the GitHub). Could any Ardour user test the latest airwave (you need to build airwave from git)?
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

rghvdberg wrote:Not trying to bash Airwave at all or anything. I was just wondering how / where to 'state' of the plugin is saved. Is the DAW supposed to do this ? I really have no clue.
Reasonable criticism is welcome, so feel free to bash if it deserves it. :wink:
According to your question, yes, the state of the plugin is saved by DAW.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

rghvdberg wrote:
glowrak guy wrote:Brainstormer is a beta,
:wink: Cheers
Not trying to bash Airwave at all or anything.
I know from your posts you're not a basher type. I downloaded Brainstormer,
and made a few simple presets, really nice gui for that, and a nice sounding instrument.
Might need a clustered cpu room, just to handle it's cpu greed. Makes Diva look
like coupon clipper :wink:

Cheers
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Did some testing with Airwave and Ardour / Qtractor with various synths.
Maybe it's my wine version (wine-rt 1.8 ) but I mainly got crashes, no matter what plugin.
If I adjust a parameter while playing, something hangs, resulting in a loud hanging tone. Both qtractor and ardour are unresponsive and have to force quit.
I also noticed when loop-playing in ardour, ardour freezes with the hanging note. Again xkill to the rescue, and I have to stop jack to get rid of the hanging note/tone ..

If someone can give me pointers how to debug, I'll try that when I have some time.

cheers
Last edited by rghvdberg on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

Right now it's hard to say why you got these crashes. I tested the latest airwave myself with Ardour 4.7, Spire 1.1 and wine staging 1.9.5.
BTW why do you use wine with RT patches? My core i7 2600 allows me to use several Spire instances with only 256 samples buffer size. I'm not a professional composer/musician and this latency is more than enough for me.